Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to CS With a breville 860

Hi CS,

I'm new to the forum but have been lurking around for information about coffee and all. I currently have a Breville 860 and I've recently got a rancilio silvia V3 but not used yet. Before I open it up just wondering is the rancilio worth the upgrade on the 860?

I currently can pull go shots with the 860 and get good latte art with the machine.

The biggest question is is the rancilio worth the extra money? or it's not enough of a gap between the 2 in quality to actually pay for it? Coz if it's not I can return it withint 14 days of puchase. I guess worst come to worst use the machine for a month or 2 then sell it? or maybe sell it to any CS that wants the machine?

If you are happy with the coffee you are making what do you want from the Silvia?

How much of an improvement is worth how many dollars is probably a personal thing.

Comment

Originally posted by don_nairn View Post
      If you are happy with the coffee you are making what do you want from the Silvia?

How much of an improvement is worth how many dollars is probably a personal thing.
      I am happy but sometimes i feel like the steamer is not strong enough and I have to wait a few seconds longer before than usual to get it to max pressure steaming.

But I do know that the inbuilt grinder is abit of a let down. Not fine enough.

Hmmm anyone wants to buy the Rancilio from me? lol BNIB.

Comment

The silvia is a good machine, but if you don't have a decent grinder or the time to spend learning how to use it, then you probably won't get very good coffee!

Comment

Originally posted by nicovington View Post
          The silvia is a good machine, but if you don't have a decent grinder or the time to spend learning how to use it, then you probably won't get very good coffee!
          If i get the rancilio then i'll get the Compact k3 or a rocky grinder atleast.

I mean by the sounds of it, It's not the worth of upgrade from what I read. I mean the Rancilio probably have better tool(blind) aftermarket tamper,baskets compared to the breville. Ie getting a naked portafilter basket.

Because if I get the rancilio then I have to get the grinder too but if I keep the breville 860 I dont have to spend anything more.

So my biggest dilemma is the rancilio worst the extra est $450(Rancilio $700 + rocky grinder $299)-after selling my breville(1 year old) probably can get about $250

Comment

It's definitely a lot of money, and at the end of the day, you may not get anything better than what you are getting at the moment.

As don said, if you are happy with what you have at the moment, then the upgrade may not be worth the $$$ trade off in the end.

I ended up getting the K3 push grinder which was well worth the upgrade from my cheap burr grinder (Krupps).

My best suggestion would be to find someone/CS sponsor local to you with a Silvia so you can have a proper play and see what its like.

Comment

It's definitely a lot of money, and at the end of the day, you may not get anything better than what you are getting at the moment.

As don said, if you are happy with what you have at the moment, then the upgrade may not be worth the $$$ trade off in the end.

I ended up getting the K3 push grinder which was well worth the upgrade from my cheap burr grinder (Krupps).

My best suggestion would be to find someone/CS sponsor local to you with a Silvia so you can have a proper play and see what its like.
              Thx nic for the info. Yea i think it's not worth the upgrade considering i'm just doing a home based quantity coffee and not commercial quantity.

Comment

ooo... I have to agree to that 100%...
                when I first bought my Silvia after using a Superautomatic and Nespresso thinking that since the Silvia is a good machine, it must make good coffee....
                boy, was I wrong.... it made a drinkable coffee from the Superautomatic to become the most sour, disgusting liquid I have ever tasted....
                So far I have learned the following thing from my Silvia:
                - Beans is not fresh: Flat tasting drink
                - Using shop grounded coffee : Disgusting, sour drink...
                - Grinder not able to grind fine enough : Very sour, and flat coffee
                - Tamp wrongly: Either quick pull shots making it sour, or very slow pull making it bitter
                - Not temperature surfing : you either get a bitter shot because its too hot, or a sour shot because its not hot enough... .

Not saying other machines won't have the same issue, but coming from using a Breville to a Silvia might have a slight learning curve... but getting a good grinder to start off with will make the process much easier... as the rest can be learned from experience, while not having the right grinder is a dead stop to using the machine properly.

I have used a Rocky and a Baratza Perciso that worked really well with the Silvia, and are pretty small grinders compare to the other "commercial" size ones

Comment

It depends more on the kind of person that you are.
                  Do you reach for an automatic camera, or do you enjoy playing with exposure, f-stop, iso, focus?
                  Do you send your car out for service everytime, or are you interested in topping up the oil, and maybe replace the plugs and filters yourself?
                  Do you look at things as objects, or do you get inquisitive on what makes things work?

If you are the former, stick with the Breville.. If you are the tinkerer and curious type, you will fall in love with the Silvia. Its going to cost you money to own the Silvia - is that money well spent, or will it be a source of frustration for you? It will frustrate you if you dont want to invest the time in understanding how everything you do affects your coffee, conversely, it will reward you with amazing velvety smooth coffee if you take the time to learn and grown with it.

By the way, if you are the kind of person that likes to fiddle with their camera settings, you will notice that in the right hands it can produce spectacular photos, but in untrained hands, it can be out of focus, blurry over-exposed photos almost every single time - except for the rare 'lucky shot'.

If finances are a deciding factor, a Silvia will retain its value very well - that said, you've already accepted a loss on the Breville - so its doesnt play into it too much.

Comment

Working...
                  X