Ascaso coffee machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ascaso coffee machine

Hi guys, can anyone recommend any better model of this brand to use for beginner? Or any other brand would do so. Thxx

Hi,

I owned an ascaso dream for about a year and I would not recommend it - they still retail for up to $900 and while they look nice and the specs sound good (aluminium body, brass boiler etc), they just don't do good espresso. Like most single boilers the temp is not too stable so its difficult to get a consistent shot. Steaming power is ok, nothing special. There is no 3-way solenoid so you can't backflush it. Mine started dripping from the steam wand and also somewhere internally in less than 12 months. I think ascaso grinders may be ok for the money but avoid their coffee machines - none of them are any good.

As for a suggestion, that would depend a lot on how much you want to spend, what type of drinks you want to make and how many you want to make.

You are probably best off buying something second hand and sticking with a known brand. A Gaggia classic may be a reasonable option for a starter machine.

Comment

Originally posted by jools View Post
      Hi,I owned an ascaso dream for about a year and I would not recommend it -....
      ....There is no 3-way solenoid so you can't backflush it..
      The later versions "Dream up" do have a 3 way valve , but i agree they are not good value or espresso makers.
      The "Steel" range is a better machine, but again poor value compare to a Silvia, LeLit, or even a Breville BDB.

Comment

I nearly bought one of these a couple of years back, glad I never now. I ended up going for a Fracino Cherub which I think is a good machine

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
          The later versions "Dream up" do have a 3 way valve , but i agree they are not good value or espresso makers.
          The "Steel" range is a better machine, but again poor value compare to a Silvia, LeLit, or even a Breville BDB.
          I had a closer look at the current model after my post and noticed they had the 3 way solenoid. Not sure if they are still set up for ESE pods though? I got mine very cheaply as part of an appliance package deal and the best thing I did was to contact Renzo at Di Bartoli's - he removed the ESE pod shower screen and replaced it with one suitable for ground coffee plus I got a 2-hr one on one home barista training session which was a massive help in learning how to temp surf and steam correctly. I managed to get some reasonable results from the machine after that but I was also acutely aware of it's limitations!

Comment

Working...
          X