Descale BES 900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descale BES 900

I know the official line is the BES900 is not user serviceable but!!!!! I know some of you have had them in bits and replaced O'rings and OPV's etc. (Nick?)

So some one out there must have descaled a BES successfully.

So I have very early one and the warranty is about to finish so thinking now is the time to start getting tips on maintenance.

Any one got advice (other than get a pro to do it)?

I asked a Breville repair agent what a descale of the BES900 would cost a little while back and was told at the time there was no procedure on their website for descaling as yet. I'd also be interested to know if this service is available yet and if Breville have set a price for it?

Originally posted by mcknightp View Post
    .....Of course, like any other dual boiler machine it is possible to fill the boilers with de-scale solution & then drain & flush them ready for service, but its not something we cannot endorse the user does themselves, but thats not to say its not possible, like consumers adjusting OPVs......
    Cheers, Phil
    I believe the way Nick was achieving his DIY descale was to remove the top of the unit and gaining access to the boilers by removing the water inlet tubes and/or probes. The boilers could then be filled with descale solution, drained and flushed using a large syringe and some silicone tubing. I think others have mentioned using a small pump to drain the boilers.

Originally posted by mcknightp View Post
    ....Nick, stop worrying about your machine. These machines have been tested to make 14600+ shots without failure. Should you need to have it de-scaled at some point, then you could send it to Sydney for a service OR you could use the instructions & online video that will be out there for the DIY by the time this happens.......
    Cheers, Phil
    Hopefully the leaked instructions Phill alludes to will not be too far away.

Comment

I saw this a while ago. Seems like a reasonable procedure. If you try it, take photos !

A Lack of Entropy: Breville Double Boiler Descaling Procedure, and other bits

Comment

Originally posted by Metatron View Post
        I saw this a while ago. Seems like a reasonable procedure. If you try it, take photos !

A Lack of Entropy: Breville Double Boiler Descaling Procedure, and other bits
        The procedures mentioned by the so-called Breville official "master" cannot fully clean up the boilers and remove the acid residues. If you want to follow that procedures, you may damage your machine.

Comment

Originally posted by argus View Post
          I asked a Breville repair agent what a descale of the BES900 would cost a little while back and was told at the time there was no procedure on their website for descaling as yet. I'd also be interested to know if this service is available yet and if Breville have set a price for it?

I believe the way Nick was achieving his DIY descale was to remove the top of the unit and gaining access to the boilers by removing the water inlet tubes and/or probes. The boilers could then be filled with descale solution, drained and flushed using a large syringe and some silicone tubing. I think others have mentioned using a small pump to drain the boilers.

Hopefully the leaked instructions Phill alludes to will not be too far away.
          Preventive descaling is key to regularly maintain the machine if using correct procedures to do so. Some O-rings will be damaged once you disconnect the tube from the boiler. If you do not have spare O-ring parts to replace those broken ones, please do not try to descale the machine.

My BDB has been 20 months since it was new and has made over 1800 shots with automatic volume controls. It had been fully descaled about five or six times with my descaling method. The whole process includes neutralizing the citric acid residue with food class soda, so definitely I am not poisoning myself. Any descale solution residue left in the system will cause thin creama and changes the coffee flavors.

The 3-way solenoid valve core and its metal base O-rings are very critical to the brewing pressure. Descale the valve core and replace its O-rings can restore the brewing pressure and quality as the machine was bought new.

Comment

Where do I find your method nick?

Comment

Working...
            X