Tips on Sylvia maintenance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on Sylvia maintenance.

Hi CoffeeSnobs, I've had my Sylvia for about 4 years now and have noticed the main chassis under the drip-tray slowly getting more rust on it. I've been holding off doing something about the rust as I didn't want to miss my morning coffee but finally last week I got the plunger out and set to work.
    Starting with under the drip tray scrapping away the loose paint I was surprised to find rust further afield behind the drip tray, up beside the exhaust fitting under the water container and under the machine itself. I scraped, sanded, rust converted, primed, painted, assembled it back together and finally had a coffee today. I pride myself in maintaining the machine but maybe if I had protected the paint surface from the beginning with for example silicon spray it would of saved me all the hassle. I do believe Rancilio must know by now this is a flaw in what is a great machine and should use a better quality powder-coating. I also made a modification to the exhaust fitting by extending the exhaust fitting so as the drip tray just slides under the extended fitting. I won't take credit for this as I read it elsewhere but the idea is there's less chance water will spill under the tray.
    So CSs if you've got a Miss Sylvia take a few inexpensive precautionary measures and she'll keep her good looks.

Good work.
    1. I wonder if you have any pictures done to the dismantling process
    2. Did you end up stripping out every thing? to deal with the frame on its own?
    3. Did you sand down the whole frame or just the rusty parts?
    4. What black paint did you use?
    5. I guess now you should be using silicon spray(for food processing machines). This is to act as a water repellent.

Comment

I think I've removed most of the risk of this happening to my Silvia by using a roughly 10cm x 10cm tupperware container to collect most of the water that the machine expells when flushing or drips after extraction etc. Basically means the drip tray hardly ever holds any water at all. I've had the machine for almost 12 months and as yet have not seen any sign of corrosion anywhere on the machine. I will keep an eye on things, but I think as long as the machine basically stays dry most of the time, the chances of corrosion are minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by mentasm View Post
        I think I've removed most of the risk of this happening to my Silvia by using a roughly 10cm x 10cm tupperware container to collect most of the water that the machine expells when flushing or drips after extraction etc.
        When I had my Silvia I did the same, mainly out of necessity... The drip tray is just too small...

Comment

When I purchased mine second hand,
          it had the dreaded corrosion problem setting in.

I ended up stripping it and sending it for power coating. Looks brand new now ( except its bright orange) and no signs of corrosion again after 8 months.

Comment

Working...
          X