Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECM Giotto Premium problem.

Hello you all coffee snobs!
    I'm considering buying a 2006 ECM Giotto Premium which has undergone several repairing activities. It's selling considerably cheap (under 200euros) because the boiler get's too hot and the pressure goes up to 1,9 bars. The owner has once already replaced the p-stat and the thermosensor couple a months ago which solved the problem but now it's back.
    The machines controlboard was changed 2009 but there's no information that the rewiring was also done. Does anyone have any kind of advice where to start looking for the fundamental problem? Descaling should be done but I don't think that's the cause.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm much more better in Finnish .

Heippa Freddie, the only way I know for sure would be to get it checked out professionally and the only place I know nearby to you that sells Giottos is in Helsinki at Kaffaroastery. Otherwise perhaps one of the sponsors can chime in with a more helpful answer. If you can get it going with a bit of elbow grease that would be a great price!

Moi!

Comment

Sounds like a problem with the relay for the element. It's stuck closed either intermittently or permanently. In that model year, if the control board was replaced without rewiring, it will be small wires going from the pressurestat back to the control board. It can be made to work properly by shorting those wires and rewiring the pressurestat directly into the element circuit and taking the active for the element directly from the input to the control board. I guess you could leave it where it is though, depending on the behaviour of the failed relay. Keep in mind that the board can no longer cut power to the element when there is low water, a safety feature of the original design. Please take extreme care when working with mains voltage, and if you are not confident to make those changes safely, seek the help of a technician!

Sounds like a bargain to me though.

Comment

similar issue my ECM Giotto Premium...overheating and pressure...rewired already..

had the same issues as mentioned...ended up having the brain replaced with a modded Rocket brain...then ran into some issues where it was overheating and pressure going super high as mentioned...so, got the re-wiring done as mentioned (p-stat directly into the element)....it fixed things for about 4-5 months...but am back at having the thing getting super hot to the touch again...pressure too high up around 1.5 - 2...and water dribbling out the steam wand....
        ...any ideas on what to do next to try and correct this??...already poured a lot of money into this damn machine..

Originally posted by coffee_machinist View Post
        Sounds like a problem with the relay for the element. It's stuck closed either intermittently or permanently. In that model year, if the control board was replaced without rewiring, it will be small wires going from the pressurestat back to the control board. It can be made to work properly by shorting those wires and rewiring the pressurestat directly into the element circuit and taking the active for the element directly from the input to the control board. I guess you could leave it where it is though, depending on the behaviour of the failed relay. Keep in mind that the board can no longer cut power to the element when there is low water, a safety feature of the original design. Please take extreme care when working with mains voltage, and if you are not confident to make those changes safely, seek the help of a technician!

Sounds like a bargain to me though.

Comment

It will be either a pressurestat on the way out or blocked with scale

Comment

any reason why the water would be dribbling out of the steam want? how would i fix that?.....going to try a major descaling...see if it helps.....
            the machine gets super hot on the metal on the top sides, the very top where the holes are, and the front....one guy quoted around $150 for new pressurestat...
            ...is it time to cut losses and try and sell it as is to someone?...have put a few hundred in over the last couple years now...the new Rocket brain cost like $3-400...i can make a small video to show what it's doing if it helps!

Comment

Yes- because the valve stem o-rings are shot, or due to scale.

Pull the valve to bits and check. $150 for a pressurestat. No way. A domestic pressurestat will be more like $50. If you paid $400 for a control board, you were shafted on that as well. Descaling is unlikely to bring a pressurestat back to life.

There's no need to sell your machine- but I'd be suggesting you have a reputable tech look at it.

Comment

sounds like the techs here in seattle are overpricing their work and maybe doing subpar work at the same time...
                ..ya, just reading about the O-rings and teflon tubes which could impact the wand.....machine hisses and is super hot on the top...reading other people's account of similar behavior..
                they gave me some story about needing a special tech to mod the Rocket board to fit the ECM Giotto...this was after all the other fixes they tried did NOT fix the issues....this is frustrating..

Comment

Working...
                X