Lelit PL042EMI in for repair after only 4 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lelit PL042EMI in for repair after only 4 months

Started my coffee adventure in April with a Lelit combo. Was told it would last 10+ years if looked after properly.

Over the last 4 months I noticed that I needed to grind finer and finer to get good shots. I had always attributed this to either me still learning, or the coffee getting stale (although I always use beans roasted within the last 3 weeks).

Yesterday however the machine just started gushing... normal grind, dose, distribution and tamp that had worked pretty well for me before (30mL single in 28-32 seconds) but all of a sudden I was getting 30mL in 12-13 seconds! Pressure gauge barely reached into the green zone (8-12 psi/whatevers)

Went finer and finer on the grind until I hit the stops but the situation didn't improve. Ran out of coffee beans 8 failed shots later, went out to buy some fresh-roasted beans and same thing again. Closer inspection of the grinds reveal a texture more like sand than powder!

Machine is currently with the Jetblack Espresso workshop. All fingers and toes are crossed that it will be covered under warranty as I've only been doing 1-2 shots per day (backflush every week, chemical backflush every month) and it will cost me $80 if they decide it's not a warranty issue

Strange, sounds like the grinder knob is not doing much to fine up the grind. You didnt have a senior moment like me by any chance? I kept trying to make the grind finer and finer, and it was gushing and gushing....before realising I was actually making the grind coarser, spinning the knob the wrong way!!

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by artman View Post
      Strange, sounds like the grinder knob is not doing much to fine up the grind. You didnt have a senior moment like me by any chance? I kept trying to make the grind finer and finer, and it was gushing and gushing....before realising I was actually making the grind coarser, spinning the knob the wrong way!!
      Just to be sure I took the bean hopper out and wound it all the way to coarse and saw that the burrs were further apart... then when I wound it back down to the finest setting I noticed that the burrs were very close on one side but about 0.5mm gap on the other. A washer was installed on the outer burr mounting ring to prevent me from going any finer

Comment

Got my machine back yesterday - fixed under warranty!!

Jetblack did their wizardry and now the grinder dials in at a roughly middle setting. Before I had to run it very close to the finest limit and I've never been happier to see my machine choke when I tried the same this morning

Comment

Good result chylld, Jetblack are a good company to deal with.

Comment

Working...
          X