Nuova Simonelli Oscar & Grinta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuova Simonelli Oscar & Grinta

Recently, I have upgraded a new coffee machine and grinder from EM6900 & EM0480 to Nuova Simonelli Oscar & Grinta, as I thought I was ready to go for these kind of equipments. However, the coffee machine is okay for me, but I dont really know how to use the Nuova Simonelli Grinta grinder, I have been trying to get the perfect shot, and there is no way for me to adjust the right size of grind on this grinder. Anyway, I have got some questions, hope you guys could help.

1. is too much coffee dosage going to make the extraction slower?
    2. what does the numbers on the Nuova Simonelli Grinta mean?
    3. how you guys adjust the grind on Nuova Simonelli Grinta (if you have one), for example, between 3 and 4?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I really like this coffee machine!

From my experience, its easiest to get good shots from an Oscar if you don't overdose, so try to keep your doubles at 14 grams. Also, doing the OPV mod might make it a bit more forgiving for underdosing / to coarse grinds. See www.elektro.it for details.

Comment

Hmm, I think it should be more forgiving for overdosing / too fine grinds, when the OPV is installed..

Comment

Originally posted by MrCoffeeBean View Post
        Recently, I have upgraded a new coffee machine and grinder from EM6900 & EM0480 to Nuova Simonelli Oscar & Grinta, as I thought I was ready to go for these kind of equipments. However, the coffee machine is okay for me, but I dont really know how to use the Nuova Simonelli Grinta grinder, I have been trying to get the perfect shot, and there is no way for me to adjust the right size of grind on this grinder. Anyway, I have got some questions, hope you guys could help.

1. is too much coffee dosage going to make the extraction slower?
        2. what does the numbers on the Nuova Simonelli Grinta mean?
        3. how you guys adjust the grind on Nuova Simonelli Grinta (if you have one), for example, between 3 and 4?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I really like this coffee machine!
        The best bet would be to ask the people you purchased the grinder from. Just from a quick google however I can see that the grinta is a stepped grinder so you will not be able to adjust between steps. I'm not sure if you mean you do not know how to use the grinder at all in that you don't know how to adjust from one step to another at all or you mean finer adjustments. If you meant you don't know how to adjust the grinder at all, then I guess there is some kind of button or lever at the side that you would need to pull down or push and then adjust by twisting the collar. Again this is just by doing a quick google and looking at images. I am sure if you try to youtube it you will find some further information.

Comment

Originally posted by saoye View Post
          The best bet would be to ask the people you purchased the grinder from. Just from a quick google however I can see that the grinta is a stepped grinder so you will not be able to adjust between steps. I'm not sure if you mean you do not know how to use the grinder at all in that you don't know how to adjust from one step to another at all or you mean finer adjustments. If you meant you don't know how to adjust the grinder at all, then I guess there is some kind of button or lever at the side that you would need to pull down or push and then adjust by twisting the collar. Again this is just by doing a quick google and looking at images. I am sure if you try to youtube it you will find some further information.
          I know how to adjust the grinder, however, when I cant really get the flavour from the espresso, it's always tasted sour. I dont know if its relevant, the beans are roasted by my friend, from what he said, I should have tasted some fruit flavour. Also, I saw some people post on youtube, they were using the same machines, and they filled up the portafilter, but I could not, as after I have filled it up in half, its already 8 grams.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCoffeeBean View Post
            I know how to adjust the grinder, however, when I cant really get the flavour from the espresso, it's always tasted sour. I dont know if its relevant, the beans are roasted by my friend, from what he said, I should have tasted some fruit flavour. Also, I saw some people post on youtube, they were using the same machines, and they filled up the portafilter, but I could not, as after I have filled it up in half, its already 8 grams.
            Suggest you start off with finding the correct dose for the basket and machine that you have. Do the 5 cents test and work backwards from there. IE work out how many grams and the correct tamp level for the basket/machine and then adjust your grinder to get the correct flow rate.

Comment

Originally posted by saoye View Post
              Suggest you start off with finding the correct dose for the basket and machine that you have. Do the 5 cents test and work backwards from there. IE work out how many grams and the correct tamp level for the basket/machine and then adjust your grinder to get the correct flow rate.
              I tried to put more than 8 grams, and it comes out in 20-23 seconds, have a hazelnut colour crema, but it is still taste sour. or should the espresso be sour? other than that, it may because i dont get used to drink espresso then.

Anyway, thank you for your replies!

Comment

Hello mcb and welcome,

I suggest you might get some benefit from a viewing of ECA's training videos. Thereafter, you might consider some formal training.

Your machine is capable of good shots if your technique is sound and your coffee is fresh. I don't know anything about your grinder, but timings indicate it will grind finely enough. I think it comes down to coffee and/or technique.

Practise, practise!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                  Hello mcb and welcome,

I suggest you might get some benefit from a viewing of ECA's training videos. Thereafter, you might consider some formal training.

Your machine is capable of good shots if your technique is sound and your coffee is fresh. I don't know anything about your grinder, but timings indicate it will grind finely enough. I think it comes down to coffee and/or technique.

Practise, practise!

Chris
                  Thank you for the website! Now I know why my coffee came out too fast! should grind it finer, also its a new grinder, that's why! Thank you so much guys!

Comment

Having just sold my Oscar, I can make a few comments.:

With my machine, the double basket took 21 grams and single 14. I found that weighing the output in a single cup and adjusting the grind to deliver 30 grams (ml) in 30 seconds was the easiest way to calibrate it. Avoid over-tamping, as this increases channeling. I presume they must have changed basket sizes, from what you are saying. Check with the 5c test, anyway.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by russellb View Post
                      Having just sold my Oscar, I can make a few comments.:

With my machine, the double basket took 21 grams and single 14. I found that weighing the output in a single cup and adjusting the grind to deliver 30 grams (ml) in 30 seconds was the easiest way to calibrate it. Avoid over-tamping, as this increases channeling. I presume they must have changed basket sizes, from what you are saying. Check with the 5c test, anyway.

Good luck
                      I did get a good result with 14 grams for the single basket! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X