Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Struggling to get enough strength without going to doubles for each cup. Does anyone know of a larger double basket that is compatible.

    Comment


    • After 5 years and nearly 5000 shots my BDB has started leaking steam from the steam boiler. Thought it was the tubing leading into the side of the boiler, but now it seems it is the boiler itself leaking near the seam in the middle. Doesn't look worthwhile replacing the boiler, so I guess I'll have to sell it for parts. Just installed a new steam wand valve too!

      Comment


      • A tip for people replacing the o-rings. Tie a length of cotton onto the wire clip before you try to reinsert it. If it flicks off, you can retrieve it easily. Speaking from experience, and lots of fishing with a magnet on a stick.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by dbfcottee View Post
          A tip for people replacing the o-rings. Tie a length of cotton onto the wire clip before you try to reinsert it. If it flicks off, you can retrieve it easily. Speaking from experience, and lots of fishing with a magnet on a stick.
          Great tip! I'll keep that in mind.

          Question for folks who have done plenty of descales. It seems like having a blown element or a tripped fused in the steam boiler is very, very common. Any reason then to actually perform the programmed descale? As I understand it, although maybe more time consuming, we could just manually descale and drain using the descale access?

          If I've understood it incorrectly I welcome some feedback.

          Comment


          • Where do people grab spare parts from? I'm a recent owner of a 2n and BDB and it has a few issues which I'm hoping replacing the o rings may fix. The group seal and inner shower screen nd rplacing too.

            Comment


            • KB
              KB commented
              Editing a comment
              Message sent

          • Hey guys have the Creatista (after 2.5 years died) received a complimentary one but want to upgrade as sick of pods.

            In short is the 920 worth getting?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Bomber3 View Post
              Hey guys have the Creatista (after 2.5 years died) received a complimentary one but want to upgrade as sick of pods.

              In short is the 920 worth getting?

              Spent a number of hours scrolling through this thread and my take the 920 is its a good machine but may be worth getting extra warranty? will hold out for a sale on the machine at this stage

              in terms of the smart grinder pro - $199 currently

              or would others have another recommendation? Rocky seems to get good press

              have a budget upto $1100-1200

              Comment


              • Originally posted by KB View Post
                Struggling to get enough strength without going to doubles for each cup. Does anyone know of a larger double basket that is compatible.
                I've used a Pullman 19-22g Triple and a VST 22G triple without issue but have to say I find a 18g or 20g basket with 18-19g and 40g out seems to be my sweet spot, at least with a dark roast.

                I've read that people have been using the Gaggia 58mm naked portafilter with success. I was keen to get something a bit nicer looking onto this machine for my bottomless portafilter. Can we use a 58mm E61 stock standard portafilter? Are the stock PF wings 6.3 or 6.6mm? How do we know which ones will work?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bomber3 View Post


                  Spent a number of hours scrolling through this thread and my take the 920 is its a good machine but may be worth getting extra warranty? will hold out for a sale on the machine at this stage

                  in terms of the smart grinder pro - $199 currently

                  or would others have another recommendation? Rocky seems to get good press

                  have a budget upto $1100-1200
                  For the price particularly these days the Breville is very hard to beat. You won't find a better dual boiler for the price and I've seen it drop to $750 or so during good guys sales. Try to factor the cost of a decent grinder in to your budget. Everyone has there own opinions but for your budget the Sette 270 can be purchased for around $500 new and is a very solid conical grinder. As always if you can be patient and keep and eye on the for sale section here you can get a top class grinder for a good price so I'd keep a close eye there as it may be tricky to get a great setup for $1200 otherwise.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by austra View Post

                    For the price particularly these days the Breville is very hard to beat. You won't find a better dual boiler for the price and I've seen it drop to $750 or so during good guys sales. Try to factor the cost of a decent grinder in to your budget. Everyone has there own opinions but for your budget the Sette 270 can be purchased for around $500 new and is a very solid conical grinder. As always if you can be patient and keep and eye on the for sale section here you can get a top class grinder for a good price so I'd keep a close eye there as it may be tricky to get a great setup for $1200 otherwise.
                    Thanks appreciate the reply will keep and eye out

                    Comment


                    • austra Would there be a lightly cheaper grinder you recommend?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Bomber3 View Post
                        austra Would there be a lightly cheaper grinder you recommend?
                        I have the smart grinder pro, but don’t use it. I’m using the dose pro instead. I weigh my beans into little containers and single dose my grinder. It’s funny that I prefer the going from the dose over the pro as it’s not as clumpy. Not the best grinders on the market but good for a start and what I do.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by austra View Post

                          I've used a Pullman 19-22g Triple and a VST 22G triple without issue but have to say I find a 18g or 20g basket with 18-19g and 40g out seems to be my sweet spot, at least with a dark roast.

                          I've read that people have been using the Gaggia 58mm naked portafilter with success. I was keen to get something a bit nicer looking onto this machine for my bottomless portafilter. Can we use a 58mm E61 stock standard portafilter? Are the stock PF wings 6.3 or 6.6mm? How do we know which ones will work?
                          Thanks Austra. Are you using the 40g out for one cup or two? I tried a 21g basket that may have come from a La Marzocco that fitted well with big gap to shower screen. This gave me a good strength in 2 cups using 25g+ and 13 grind setting on Smart grinder( nice pour.)Bit extreme I know, better than using DB ristretto in each. However because of gap under shower screen the puck is a bit watery. Might have to get a 20g basket.

                          Comment


                          • Hi everyone, just picked up a black 920 along with the Smart Grinder Pro (separately to save a couple of hundred bucks over buying the 'Dynamic Duo' box). Stepping up from an EM6910 that was about 8 years old I think (although I joined this site in 2010, so maybe it was more like 10...) Haven't really fiddled with too many settings as yet, but have been very happy with the shots so far. Double basket, 20 seconds grind on setting 12, and getting 9-11 bar pressure, a nice slow pour and amazing (to me) crema.
                            Not so great with the milk so far, need to adjust my technique from the EM6910 (which had been losing steam pressure for a while). Seems like there's almost too much steam now and I don't have enough time to get the texture right before it reaches temp. We also changed to light milk in house in the same week as the machine arrived, so that won't help. Will keep trying.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by KB View Post

                              Thanks Austra. Are you using the 40g out for one cup or two? I tried a 21g basket that may have come from a La Marzocco that fitted well with big gap to shower screen. This gave me a good strength in 2 cups using 25g+ and 13 grind setting on Smart grinder( nice pour.)Bit extreme I know, better than using DB ristretto in each. However because of gap under shower screen the puck is a bit watery. Might have to get a 20g basket.
                              A watery puck shouldn't affect the pull but just makes it a bit messy to knock out, shouldn't change the taste. That said I think it's a good idea to dose around the weight the basket is made for, certainly not above the weight as you'll contact the shower screen. I don't have the smart grinder so not sure how fine that is but if it is good and tastes good your going well.
                              i only ever pull one shot at a time so 19g in for 40g out in about 30s.

                              ​ The pullman baskets are great quality and pretty reasonably priced around $30 or so. VSTs are more expensive around $50 but I don't really think they are any better for the price.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X