Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
    A known long term issue with the way that Breville gets the pump to do reduced power is that it eventually like the pump, but before it does the pump will just not respond to the lower settings of the preinfusion.
    I feel like an autocorrection kicked in. My gut feeling level3ninja was going to say "kill".
    "Breville gets the pump to do reduced power is that it eventually kills the pump"

    Is this the case? 😀

    Comment


    • Yes that's right, it kills the pump

      Comment


      • Just picked up a BES920 2nd hand two days ago, yesterday all seemed well and I was feeling happy with my purchase! Pulled a shot that hit about 9bar.

        Unfortunately today I'm not getting any water through the group head or hot water outlet. I turned the machine on about 30 min before trying to pull a shot, which had very little water come through. I tried again and now there's no water coming through at all. Steam wand is all working fine.

        I've done a quick video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj7DtHXNWtQ

        Other info:
        - Yes there is water in the tank
        - Tried leaving it off for 2 hours and coming back to it, same issue
        - Check mode shows boiler temps at 93 degrees and 133 degrees

        I need to go get a torx screwdriver, but is there anything I should be looking for in particular if I open it up? Looking online suggests it might be the solenoid?

        Any help would be much appreciated.

        Comment


        • The pump is not running, it's quite noisy you can't miss it. That hum that happens when you press the shot button is the solenoid, by the sounds of it the solenoid is fine. Whether the pump itself is faulty or the pump is not getting power is something a technician can determine.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Doffles View Post
            Just picked up a BES920 2nd hand two days ago
            That's a BES900, not a 920, so it's quite old. Remove the water tank and look in the side of the case where there's a white sticker, the first four digits denote year/week or manufacture. Eg. "1430" built 30th week of 2014.

            The pump has failed on it and I'm going to suspect it needs a lot more work as well. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

            Comment


            • Thanks both. That is a frustrating and I'm kicking myself for not inspecting it more closely but I appreciate your replies.

              While it's a sunk cost, now I'm just trying to figure out if this is worth repairing or not, and how expensive of a lesson it will really be. Given it did pull a decent shot and hit 9bar on day one part of me is hopeful. After starting it up today, a bit of water did come through grouphead and water (maybe 50ml) before running dry again. Nothing stood out immediately when I opened it up, so time for more research and tinkering...

              Comment


              • Hi everyone,

                I'm the proud owner of a 4 year old BES920 here in Singapore. I have a wide litany of issues and because Singapore does not have a dedicated Breville service center, i'd like to try understand for myself the problem before I decide on getting a new unit or sending it to an agent for repair. The recent litany of issues:

                - Condensation inside the pressure gauge
                - The machine started flipping the main house fuse
                - Even when switched off (but plugged into the mains) the machine kept heating up to the point that I saw steam come out the back
                - When using it on manual, it recently started making rapid-fire like sounds before calming down (after around 10 secs in) and start extracting the espresso.
                - Touching the pressure gauge just gave me a huge shock
                - It showed 112 degrees C...after it gave me the shock...made me realise i probably should ask for help...

                If anyone could point out likely causes and whether it would be worth fixing, please let me know! I've had to fix it once before, but it was under warranty then, and it was a steam wand/boiler issue.

                Cheers!

                Comment


                • tempeman
                  tempeman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pretty certainly water leaks due to failed O-rings. Best not to continue using it until the water leak is repaired.

                • zingzing
                  zingzing commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Considering the issues you have, including a major safety one, I'd recommend that you cut your losses and get rid of it.

                  If you did decide to take it to a repairer then you're likely up for the following
                  - Replace all o-rings to stop all leaks / steam escaping. This is a standard service item that should be done regularly anyway.
                  - The condensation inside the pressure gauge is likely an o-ring not sealing and leaking into the back of the gauge.
                  - Replace the Triac PCB which sounds like it has gotten wet, likely from steam escaping from the steam boiler, and will be causing the machine to heat up when off, but on at the socket
                  - Replace the Solenoid valve which is that rapid fire sound. It will continue to get worse.

                  All the best.

              • Originally posted by gerbi View Post

                I would say YES if you can get it.
                A year ago I was told by service centre ProductCover is the best extended warranty you can get for an appliance. But a couple of years ago they stopped selling extended warranty for espresso machines.
                I got an extended warranty from bing lee for an extra three years, for $100. Fingers crossed if I need it, that it works... who really knows with these things.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by JonnR View Post
                  Hi All,

                  I've got an strange issue with my machine relating to the hot water dispensing and leaking from the shower screen. Essentially everytime I use the hot water outlet the shower screen leaks and appears to take most of the flow away from the hot water outlet. I've been inside the machine a fair bit over the past year to replace the steam boiler and more recently the solenoid assembly. As far as I can recall the hot water comes out of the boiler through the tap and then the outlet so not sure how water is machine its way to the group head!

                  Has anyone encountered anything like this at all?

                  Thanks in advance!
                  Update!

                  In case anyone else encounters this issue. I have found there is a fault with the main PCB where the 3 way solenoid is always powered as soon as the machine is switched on. Therefore when the hot water tap is used the pathway to the grouphead is still open hence the water flow from both the spout and grouphead. I should have guessed after killing two coils in 18 months!

                  I’ll update if I manage to repair the PCB.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by SingaporeCoffee View Post
                    Hi everyone,

                    I'm the proud owner of a 4 year old BES920 here in Singapore. I have a wide litany of issues and because Singapore does not have a dedicated Breville service center, i'd like to try understand for myself the problem before I decide on getting a new unit or sending it to an agent for repair. The recent litany of issues:

                    - Condensation inside the pressure gauge
                    - The machine started flipping the main house fuse
                    - Even when switched off (but plugged into the mains) the machine kept heating up to the point that I saw steam come out the back
                    - When using it on manual, it recently started making rapid-fire like sounds before calming down (after around 10 secs in) and start extracting the espresso.
                    - Touching the pressure gauge just gave me a huge shock
                    - It showed 112 degrees C...after it gave me the shock...made me realise i probably should ask for help...

                    If anyone could point out likely causes and whether it would be worth fixing, please let me know! I've had to fix it once before, but it was under warranty then, and it was a steam wand/boiler issue.

                    Cheers!
                    I've sent it in for service and repair, however have put a cap on top of what i'm willing to pay, over the price of the service. I'll be willing to go up to 25% of the machine price. After 6 years it will be my first major repair, so i'm happy to give my baby one last shot.

                    Comment


                    • Hey everyone,
                      I bought a BES920 second hand at the start of ISO it has been great.
                      I recently tried a naked portafilter but it leaked everywhere, I am going to change the group head o-ring
                      It got me thinking about how old the machine was and what else might need replacing
                      I checked the serial number sticker and it starts with 1349- I think this means it was manufactured in 49th week of 2013 so is ~6 years old

                      I have been warned not to descale the machine as there was an early problem with firmware (we dont have hard water anyway)
                      but i I have also been reading about leaking o-rings, is this something i should check for / replace given the age of the machine?
                      Is there any other preventative maintenance i should look at while i'm at it?

                      thanks for the advice

                      Comment


                      • I have a 4 1/2 year old machine which has worked extremely well in the main. I currently have a problem with the double shot (volume) programming which is set to 50ml. The pour is consistently stopping after about 20ml (18 seconds), I have seen this problem before but it happened quite infrequently and would only be one offs. I tried reprogramming the double shot and it didn't help, yesterday I used it for a single shot (30ml) and it worked correctly.

                        Anybody else seen this problem, any ideas on how to fix it (other than just doing manual shots)?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by SingaporeCoffee View Post

                          I've sent it in for service and repair, however have put a cap on top of what i'm willing to pay, over the price of the service. I'll be willing to go up to 25% of the machine price. After 6 years it will be my first major repair, so i'm happy to give my baby one last shot.
                          Update! Have to replace solenoid, pressure gauge and 8 orange 0-rings. Fingers crossed, will last another 4 more years! Or longer if i actually learn how to do some preventative maintenance...

                          Comment


                          • zingzing
                            zingzing commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Did they diagnose the cause of "- Even when switched off (but plugged into the mains) the machine kept heating up to the point that I saw steam come out the back"?

                          • SingaporeCoffee
                            SingaporeCoffee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            They told me that it was due to the solenoid, i just nodded and looked like i knew what a solenoid is...the leaking water fudged with the electronics hence the inability for the machine to regulate temperature

                          • HomeCappua
                            HomeCappua commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Would like to check with you where is the service center and how much did the service cost you? I am from Singapore too but my machine is not. Thanks.

                        • Originally posted by JonnR View Post

                          Update!

                          In case anyone else encounters this issue. I have found there is a fault with the main PCB where the 3 way solenoid is always powered as soon as the machine is switched on. Therefore when the hot water tap is used the pathway to the grouphead is still open hence the water flow from both the spout and grouphead. I should have guessed after killing two coils in 18 months!

                          I’ll update if I manage to repair the PCB.
                          And it's fixed!
                          The issue was the Triac that controls the three way solenoid. It had failed closed which was probably caused by a faulty coil and overheating. They are a 50c part so back in action for not very much at all. Now getting used to a machine that operates as intended!

                          Comment


                          • I've got an 18 month old BES920, and it's been flawless up until now. However, for the past 6 days in a row I have been unable to get the milk right whilst steaming and I'm concerned there's either an issue with the steamer or else I have seriously lost my touch. 😁 The steamer still seems to be working but I can't get thick milk - it stays very thin. Assuming it is a machine issue, any thoughts on what the problem could be?

                            I have been getting great microfoam from this machine for ages so I know how to do it, and I've been using a thermometer in the milk as well so I know I'm not burning it (I typically stop at 63 degrees).

                            Any suggestions on what the possible problem could be before I take it to the repair shop would be fantastic.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X