No announcement yet.

Breville BES920 Dual Boiler - Owners thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have picked up a project BES920 machine and wanted to some ideas on fault finding / diagnosing the issue to try and get it running.

1. It powers up but won't reach full temperature, it hits about 75 degrees on the screen and just sits there. As it never hit full temp I can't run water through the group, just keeps flashing LED which I assume is heating main boiler.
    2. The steam seems to work but is pretty weak (not sure if the pump should engage for steam or if it just uses boiler pressure).
    3. I can't seem to get into the service menu to check for fault codes (with power off hold 1 & 2 cup buttons for 3 seconds then tried tapping power button and holding it down). It seems to flash up an error, will take a look tonight as I can't recall the single word that is shown. I can get into the normal menu and change temps (target brew temp is 93 degrees) etc.
    4. The how water function seems to work fine when engaged is pumping out water.

I have taken off the top of case and it looks like some corrosion around the steam solenoid/valve inside the case. But the boilers look very clean and tidy on the top side, have taken the TRIAC board off the back and no obvious burnt electrical smell or any burnt components.

Comment

• roosterben
      roosterben commented
      Editing a comment
      There was a loose wire on a fuse sitting above the group and below the boiler, fixed this and replace the coffee boiler fuse and now I have the machine heating to full temp.

I also removed the group solenoid top section and cleaned out a small blockage.

Now though still no water through group just a click from the solenoid and hum as the machine tries to pump water.

Would the inside of the group be blocked with scale below the solenoid?

I will try and disconnect the coffee boiler to solenoid connection just to see if I have water flow. Have removed each end of the nylon pipe and there doesn't appear to be any blockage.

• Originally posted by donnsuil View Post
    How does this compare to the Bambino Pro? I am reasonably happy with the Bambino, but would prefer something that extracts more coffee in one hit.
    The Bambino has a 54mm portafilter right? That doesn’t matter too much if it can still take a decent size dose up to around 18-19g (which I would imagine it does). I’m using an espresso machine with a 51mm portafilter at the moment and can dose up to 17.5g in it, which is about the same as what I dose in my machine with a 58mm portafilter.

Comment

• My BDB has developed a new problem since my last failed attempt at descaling it. Now when I am doing a backflush the pump is cutting out at about 8 bars. It was going to about 11 bars during the backflush prior to the descale attempt yesterday. Can anyone suggest what can be causing this?

Comment

• Blues1143
        Blues1143 commented
        Editing a comment
        there are many more experts on here than me, but possibly some scale has dislodged and is preventing the 3 way from completely closing during extraction - is there water draining into the drip tray at all during extraction?

• Thanks for your reply. No, the extraction seems normal and the problem only occurs during the backflush.

Comment

• Blues1143
        Blues1143 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah ok - sorry misunderstood - possibly some scale obstruction of flow from the outlet from the solenoid to drip tray - if it is still extracting correctly possible not much to worry about but others will likely chime in.

• You need to empty the drip tray then put it back without the cover and watch what happens while you backflush. Is there any liquid coming into the left hand side at the back while the pump is running before the shot finishes?

Comment

• Originally posted by powerd View Post
        Also, if the machine is then turned off and left on at the powerpoint, the top seems quite hot at the front? Any suggestions where to look?
        If plugged into turned on power point and machine is off, check if steam is available. Sounds like triac has failed and stuck closed so powering boiler regardless of machine is on or off. This is often caused by o ring leaking and releasing moisture which affects the triac board that sits under top panel. Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by artman View Post
          If plugged into turned on power point and machine is off, check if steam is available. Sounds like triac has failed and stuck closed so powering boiler regardless of machine is on or off. This is often caused by o ring leaking and releasing moisture which affects the triac board that sits under top panel. Cheers
          Thanks artman, much appreciated. Yes, steam is available. So it sound like the TRIAC board. Hopefully it is available and not so expensive so I can replace it. Will check it out as soon as I can find some time.

Comment

• Just a thought, artman. Do you know if the TRIAC from the BES900 fit the 920? I have my old 900 for spairs if they are needed and fit. Anyone else know?

Comment

Working...
            X