Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancilio S24 - worth fixing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rancilio S24 - worth fixing?

    I picked up a Rancilio S24 from a friend who was going to dispose of it, knowing it wasn't working. The machine turns on, but no heating, pump etc. Without knowing what was wrong with it, it seemed to good to let go. My technical know-how is limited, and I couldn't see anything obviously wrong inside, so I took it to a repairer in Sydney. They have informed me there's an issue with the solenoid, and a blocked group. Otherwise, they say the machine is in decent shape. They have quoted me $310 to fix it.

    So my question is, is it worth it? I currently have a Silvia and Rocky combo, which I've had for about 6 years and have been happy with. But I've often thought about upgrading and only cost has held me back. Would repairing the S24 be a good upgrade path? If I get it fixed, I guess I could sell the Silvia on. Will likely hold on to Rocky.

    Interested to hear your thoughts on the S24 and whether it would be good step up for not too much $$$.

  • #2
    I have a s24 and im very happy with it. For the $310 price, i doubt you will find a better espresso machine. It has a nice big boiler which give out plenty of steam and has a very fast recovery time as well as a stable temp (for what it is, a single group machine which just goes and goes).

    The only downside is its bulk and its outdated looks!

    If you do end up wanting to throw it though i could always use some spare parts!

    Comment


    • #3
      it could be a $50 fix or it could be a $1000 fix until you know this no one can answer the question.

      why arn't you happy with the macine you have?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by don_nairn View Post
        it could be a $50 fix or it could be a $1000 fix until you know this no one can answer the question.

        why arn't you happy with the macine you have?
        It's a $300 fix - at least that's what I have been quoted.

        I'm happy with the machine I have, and have had it for 6 years now. But I have been contemplating the upgrade to a HX machine for a while. I find the Silvia is a bit limited when preparing multiple coffees when friends are around.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by nescafeGOLD View Post

          The only downside is its bulk and its outdated looks!

          If you do end up wanting to throw it though i could always use some spare parts!
          I agree about the bulk. My challenge would certainly be finding a suitable spot in our fairly small kitchen. I kinda like the daggy retro looks though. I'll let you know if I decide to get rid of it and you can strip it for parts!

          Comment


          • #6
            Seem's a bit odd that a blocked group head and solenoid would be giving you the issues you're explaining. Nevertheless, if they're saying they can get it up and running for $310 you have a far superior machine to your current Silvia. I briefly had a S24 for a few months and it made a really good cup. Although they are definitely a monster on the bench. It's a shame because from memory, internally there is a ridiculous amount of space which I'm sure they could have put there heads together to try and downsize it a bit.

            Comment


            • #7
              I would go for it and get it fixed, its a good machine and an upgrade to an S24 is far more expensive than $310.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by brendogs View Post
                Seem's a bit odd that a blocked group head and solenoid would be giving you the issues you're explaining. Nevertheless, if they're saying they can get it up and running for $310 you have a far superior machine to your current Silvia. I briefly had a S24 for a few months and it made a really good cup. Although they are definitely a monster on the bench. It's a shame because from memory, internally there is a ridiculous amount of space which I'm sure they could have put there heads together to try and downsize it a bit.
                Apparently there's an issue with the autofill mechanism too - means the element isn't engaging. SOrry - as I said, I'm not great on the technical side of things. Having a look at what spare parts go for, I think their repair quote seems quite reasonable.

                I agree about the massive amount of space inside - when I took the side panels off at home to have a look that was the first thing I noticed!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by smokey View Post
                  I would go for it and get it fixed, its a good machine and an upgrade to an S24 is far more expensive than $310.
                  My thoughts too - I've asked the technician to go ahead with the repairs, plus a general service to get rid of scale, any deteriorated seals and the like.

                  Looking forward to getting this machine back once it's fixed and seeing how she compares with Silvia. Thanks so much for your advice all!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i think you went in the right direction! (even though it means im missing out on a spare machine :P)

                    The silvia just wont compete in the same category, trust me!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi, I just got a Rancilio S24, 14 Years old. I fixed it by myself ( about 50€ spareparts),
                      OK, I´m an mechanical engineer, but it´s a very simple machine

                      The Rancilio S24 is a GREAT machine, trust me.

                      Best regards from Germany
                      Reinhard

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X