Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade from a Silvia... Really confused.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from a Silvia... Really confused.

First post! Well I was a member some time ago but stuffed if I can remember my user name or email address back then.

Anyway my faithful Silvia finally died. The element broke and the chassis is quite rusty. So time to replace it. It has served me very well and has been a great machine to learn on and grow with.
    I could get another Silvia. I was happy with my old one, but it was not the easiest machine. Temperature surfing for consistent results was a bit annoying and it was useless entertaining. But it’s cheap compared to an upgrade. It’s solid, reliable, familiar and you can easily get spare parts.

BUT it’s very confusing… so much easier 6 years ago when the Silvia was really the only competitor in its price point and anything much better was quite expensive.

Uses: Mainly milk drinks with the odd espresso. Occasional hot chocolate for visitors so hot water would be good but not a must. We entertain quite a bit which is the main reason why i am looking at something other than another Silvia.
    I have a K3 Touch grinder.

If I upgrade I am torn between the following.

Breville BES920 ($1360) – Sounds and looks like a fantastic machine. Heaps of options, HX, pre-infusion, dual PID, 3 way solenoid and the list goes on. A lot of thought has gone into it. BUT just not sure about reliability and access to spare parts. It’s a lot of electronics. Can descale this new version. Gets rave reviews.

NS Oscar ($1200) – Not bothered about the plastic outside, easier to clean. Sounds like it has quality guts, but access to spare parts is a bit vague?? No hot water to flush the boiler. Descaling sounds like a pain but not needed very often. Gets rave reviews. Not as many options as the Breville but possibly more durable??? Not sure if it has a 3 way solenoid. Steam may be too strong to get a decent microfoam, people seem to mod it to a 2 hole tip. In fact people seem to mod this machine quite a bit.

OR I save for a bit longer and get something like the Exobar Office Semi-Auto ($1550). I’m guessing it would outlast the other 2 but it’s only because it looks more robust, I have no idea if its internals are any better than the Oscars. It’s a HX machine, has hot water, big cooper boiler etc.

Any experience or thoughts? The more I read the more confused I get!

I thought I could find a second hand machine, but they seem few and far between and still quite expensive!

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Pete

Lelit have some really nice offerings now. Worth checking out in the <1500 bracket.

Comment

I think the Breville BES920 is a dual boiler, not a HX. I went through some trouble (o-ring disintegration) with my BES900. I got it repaired under warranty and now everything is fine (fingers crossed). The quality of coffee is excellent. I hope Breville has solved the reliability problems in the BES920. If so, it would be a fantastic machine for the price.

Comment

Very happy with my BES920 and K3 grinder. I believe you can pick up the machine and new smart grinder (BCG820) for $1,200 with some haggling. Selling the Breville grinder will lower your overall cost too, or you could keep it for a filter grinder like I should have.

Good luck.

Comment

Hi all,

First post on CSnobs. I just bought my first espresso machine, Breville BES920 from Myer at 20% off with 3yr extended warranty plus another year from my visa Credit card (6yrs wty all up) $1459. I was also concerned about the reliability factor hence getting an extended warranty.

Anyway the machine so far works great, although I'm still learning the basics of getting the grind right (Baratza Preciso) which so far is the hardest thing it took me a few sessions over two days to get a correct extraction. Initially I was getting really over exacted shots (seems a few people have had this with the BDB) and I totally freaked out thinking maybe the machine brew pressure was defective but this was not the case.

So far very happy with my machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupinamba View Post
            I think the Breville BES920 is a dual boiler, not a HX.
            The BES920 is both. It has a heat exchanger in the steam boiler feeding the brew boiler.

Great when you make milk drinks.

I have had my BES900 for nearly two years. The only trouble was an O ring failure at one year. No trouble since. Great coffee. The 920 is better.

Barry

Comment

Yeah the BES920 is dual boiler with a heat exchanger.

To be honest I would grab one if I was confident that i would get the next 7-8 years out of it. It looks good, has heaps of great features, could be used to pump out a number of milk drinks while entertaining and is pretty enough to keep the wife happy. But for $300 more I could get a second hand Giotto Rocket which would last a lot longer. To be honest I think they are asking too much for it with a fairly sketchy history of cheap appliances behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by GimmeBeans View Post
                Hi all,
                I just bought my first espresso machine, Breville BES920 from Myer at 20% off with 3yr extended warranty plus another year from my visa Credit card (6yrs wty all up) $1459. I was also concerned about the reliability factor hence getting an extended warranty.
                Can you please enlighten us as to what the 3yr extended warranty covers. Also does it give you an extra three years warranty, or just three years in total. As well, what does the extra yr from your credit card offer?
                Reason I ask is that I am highly skeptical of extended warranties, and potential buyers would be interested.
                Under current Australian Consumer Law, the machine you buy is expected to provide a reasonable life, which can be interpreted in numerous ways. Does the extended warranty actually provide anything that this law does not cover?
                Also, who looks after the warranty? Where do you take or send the machine to be repaired once the Breville warranty finishes?

Comment

Originally posted by bainpj View Post

To be honest I would grab one if I was confident that i would get the next 7-8 years out of it. It looks good, has heaps of great features, could be used to pump out a number of milk drinks while entertaining and is pretty enough to keep the wife happy. But for $300 more I could get a second hand Giotto Rocket which would last a lot longer. To be honest I think they are asking too much for it with a fairly sketchy history of cheap appliances behind them.
                  While the topic of Breville vs Italian has been hotly debated, the truth is you can pick up some excellent second hand machines at a very reasonable price. The "European" units are well built, easy to maintain and repair. They are designed and built to last quite a few years. Buying one of these represents better value in my eyes, and the unit can always be readily sold, with only a reasonable loss in value, when the upgrade bug bites. The same does not apply to appliance brands, even though they do offer a lot of bang for buck as a "new" purchase.

Comment

Agreed Bosco.... not much interest or 2nd hand value on appliances so whilst the entry is attractive, depreciation is a killer.

Comment

I would agree... I would be happy to purchase a second hand one and there are 2 Giotto Rockets for sale that I know of which I would be over the moon if I could purchase... BUT they are both over my budget
                      I have tried convincing the wife, but we will be dropping to one income in a few months and did the calculations a couple weeks ago... the result is that my toys have been severely curtailed!
                      Extending the budget by $300-$400 would result in a unit that would last for years and years, but the wife won't shift.

Comment

For your purposes (lotsa milky drinks.)

Look at the Lelit PL60 Dual Boiler.
                        it's simple, tough construction.
                        Simple to operate
                        PID for stable temps
                        and i can just about bang out endless back to back Latte's until the cows come home.

Comment

I did look at that and it looks great, but given that it is at least $500 more than the models I have listed I am afraid it is way over budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                            Agreed Bosco.... not much interest or 2nd hand value on appliances so whilst the entry is attractive, depreciation is a killer.
                            BTW thanks for the phone conversation yesterday. Very helpful indeed! I am trying to convince Mandy to get the the second hand unit from you but its not looking good at all.

Comment

Still Have a chat to the site sponsors.
                              there may be some "wiggle room" in their pricing. EOFY stocktakes and all that.
                              plus they may have some leads on other customers who are upgrading and looking to trade in...

Comment

Working...
                              X