Classic Gaggia - no water through group head when hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Gaggia - no water through group head when hot

I have a classicgaggia and it has been working well HOWEVER recently, after I make a shot, usethe steamer I find that the I am no longer to get water to flow from the grouphead.
    I hear the pumphumming, but no water flow.

I have recently,descaled and removed and cleaned out a number of the internal parts. I have not found any residue inside, and itappears to be pretty clean inside (no white residue, caking or anything).

This problem (nowater flow) after a steaming session:
    a) I am not sure ifI have no water flow because of the immediately prior steaming session
    OR
    b) I am not sure ifI have no water flow because the expresso machine is 'hot'

I have also noticed(symptom?) that the steamer doesn't have the pressure it use to have (beforethe de-scaling), it just doesn't steam as hard/strong as it use to (maybe thisis a clue?)

cutecoffee,
    Gaggia classic use a three way solenoid to control directional flow for brewing /steaming and back flows.
    You may have a blockage in the solenoid valve,very small orifice and easy to get a bit of loose scale etc to obstruct it.
    If you are comfortable taking the top off ,then this is a relative easy fix,remove solenoil/3 way valve by unscrewing the two socket screws and unhooking electrical connectors.
    Make sure power is turned off and disconnected before working inside,and make sure its not hot from use when you fiddle around inside the classic.
    The solenoid is disassembable and once cleared ,back together and test.
    Hopefully thats where the problem is,otherwise give a reply and we can proceed to next step.
    Cheers
    Mick
    Last edited by mulquemi; 6 October 2014, 03:15 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Yesterday and today i dont get any water flow from wand or group head. It worked for 1 brew 2 days ago then nothing for 2 days. All i hear is a faint hum. I have taken apart the 3 way valve as well as the solenoid...and everything looks very clean.
      With regards to the solenoid, i just checked the ports at the bottom. Do i need to take it apart more?

If the solenoid was blocked would it stop all water flow, even the pump?

thx

Comment

cutecoffee,
        If the solenoid was blocked would it stop all water flow, even the pump?............Yes
        The solenoid valve must be disassembled to access the small orifice, for blockage removal.
        See how that goes.
        Cheers
        Mick
        Originally posted by cutecoffee View Post
        Yesterday and today i dont get any water flow from wand or group head. It worked for 1 brew 2 days ago then nothing for 2 days. All i hear is a faint hum. I have taken apart the 3 way valve as well as the solenoid...and everything looks very clean.
        With regards to the solenoid, i just checked the ports at the bottom. Do i need to take it apart more?

If the solenoid was blocked would it stop all water flow, even the pump?

thx

Comment

Originally posted by mulquemi View Post
          cutecoffee,
          If the solenoid was blocked would it stop all water flow, even the pump?............Yes
          The solenoid valve must be disassembled to access the small orifice, for blockage removal.
          See how that goes.
          Cheers
          Mick
          Thank you for your response. Last evening I removed solenoid, disassembled it, cleaned it all out and reassembled. I did not see any small pieces/bits/parts that would block the orifaces.
          Right now, I turn on my Classic, i hear a slight hum from the pump, i get a little steam from both wand and group head but no water.
          I have tried priming the pump (pouring water with a syringe into the pump) but nothing. This is the same behavior i have seen after it over heats. I am now having this problem straight from a cold start.
          It is very odd, cause yesterday morning i was able to get 2 brews and 1 steam out of the system before it seized up.

This is killing me, as I cannot identify the problem or solution.

Comment

cutecoffee,
            Please hold in there ,while there is a hum there is hope,your pump is operating at least and just a bit further should get you sorted.
            As you have everything accessible now anyway,I suggest you undo the pump assemble altogether for testing.
            Please be aware as all of this is interconnected to 240volts AC,presenting a real life electrocution possibility,don't touch any live conductors.
            The pump,as you describe, is making very little if any noise so it may be blocked and in need of clearing however,testing is necessary to confirm this.
            Inject water into the pump using pressure not just pouring water in,make sure machine is plugged in and turned on at plug end.
            Once water is flowing into pump,switch on brewing switch......... hopefully water should flow out the pump outlet.
            If water is flowing correctly then switch brewing switch off and if you are confident everything is good again reassemble your machine.
            Do not leave machine on, even if brew switch is off because heating element will be active and heating without water being available!
            If no joy with water flow,disconnect all power and disassemble the pump itself...do a google search for UKLA vibration pumps and you will find many examples of how to disassemble /clear/reassemble again,very easy as long as no small parts are misplaced and reassemble is the reverse of disassembly!
            Cheers
            Mick
            Right now, I turn on my Classic, i hear a slight hum from the pump, i get a little steam from both wand and group head but no water.
            I have tried priming the pump (pouring water with a syringe into the pump) but nothing. This is the same behavior i have seen after it over heats. I am now having this problem straight from a cold start.
            It is very odd, cause yesterday morning i was able to get 2 brews and 1 steam out of the system before it seized up.

This is killing me, as I cannot identify the problem or solution.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I have a Gaggia Classic too, but don't know enough to solve your problem. I belong to a group of Gaggia owners, and they are quite knowledgeable. They were very helpful to me in the first years after I bought mine.

This was formerly under the Yahoo groups, but now uses much better forum software
              Gaggia Users Group

Comment

Having had a gaggia baby with 3-way solinoid I am trying to remember the possible issues. Possible issues:
                -: Verify that the pump is working by pumping water through the steam wand:
                --: If it isn't do not give up hope:
                ---: Try loosening the end connector on the pump to relieve pressure on one of the pumps pressure sensitive check valves
                ---: You may need thread tape/thread sealant to stop leaks once loosened due to wear to the threads
                --: If it is labouring after priming the pump and resting the system for a while, you have a 'air leak':
                ---: This type of leak does not show up as a water leak as it is like holding water with a straw with your finger. The water will run to the tank
                ---: Look for air bubbles or a empty inlet tube
                ---: Try thread tape at the pumps inlet connector to try and get a sealing fit

-: From memory (a very long time ago) the wiring for the solinoid is disabled when in steam mode:
                --: Verify that the steam function is off.

-: Verify that the solinoid valve is 'clicking' on/off
                --:Verify that the wiring to the solinoid valve is wired right.
                ---: Look on the internet for guidance.
                ---: Check the solinoid valve (3 connectors, but only the right 2 need to be connected).
                ---: Check the switches connectors.

-: Verify that the solinoid valve has no blockages:
                --: Pull it apart and try to flow water through all 3 pathways
                --: Use a needle if required to unblock the small orifaces

-: Verify that the pathway from the 3-way solinoid valve to the shower screen is not blocked:
                --: Disassemble the boiler and try to flow water through all the water pathways
                --: Use a needle if required to unblock the small orifaces
                --: You might need to completely pull apart the shower screen and shower screen holder plate

Good luck!

Comment

Sounds like your pump is cactus, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                  X