Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning sunbeam em6910 brew/steam knobs,

Good morning coffee champions,
    I'm in the continueing task of cleaning the gummed up knobs from my assorted coffee machines,getting them new and shiny before they move on to deserving people.
    I have used various means ,detergent etc however,some chemicals actually remove the markings as well (not good).
    Ammonia (cloudy) seems to work ok,but you may suggest a better option,please?
    Cheers.
    Mick.

BAM? Seems to work well on everything we try it on. There's a foaming version that cleans with a simple wipe.

Comment

Thanks for that,can you offer any precautions as to its volatility regarding skin during use and whether It effects indicator markings on dials?
      Cheers
      Mick

QUOTE=Journeyman;543781]BAM? Seems to work well on everything we try it on. There's a foaming version that cleans with a simple wipe.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Not trying to be smart, however, I'm wondering how the knobs of coffee machines get to the stage of being "gummed up" needing a powerful cleaner to "make them new and shiny" also wonder if the exterior has degraded to this degree just what condition the interior of the machine is in.

I've found a quick wipe over with a damp cloth now and again keeps everything looking like new.

If your concerned about the cleaner affecting your skin use a pair of disposable rubber gloves.

Comment

Yelta,
          Thanks for your advice,and we reckon Moonta is such a wonderful place ,have caravaned there ,such a pleasant trip!
          Matter in discussion,I have five em6910's that were acquired in bad shape ,they are finally taking shape after extensive refurbishment.
          Cheers
          Mick
          PS my own em6910 is ALWAYS spotless!!

Comment

G'Day Mick, thanks for the explanation "ask and you shall receive"

Yep! Moonta is a nice spot, as you say, very popular with holiday makers, cant move up here Christmas, Easter and long week ends.

What part of the world do you hail from?

Comment

Yelta,
              Hello from Wodonga (border of NSW & Victoria)
              Just empty nesters now,here with lovely wife,Budgie's, whippit and growing /expanding collection of coffee machines that have been banished out the back door and remainder nestled into garage however , as expected,always ready to steam and brew a real good coffee.
              The knobs on all my recently acquired sunbeams are sticky with residue or some sort of coating perhaps to protect the graduation/marking etc.
              Tried ammonia,metho,detergent,eucalyptus oil,all with poor result.I still haven't tried "Bam" yet....so I'll see what that doe's.
              Thanks for yours support.
              Cheers
              Mick

Comment

Fair old drive from Wodonga to Moonta towing a van Mick!

Can the cover of the machine/s be removed to allow better access to the control buttons?

Comment

Hot water and metho. Cheap and effective.

The sticky residue that covers the knobs is the old protective film that gave the knobs a nice solid feel when they were new. It also serves to protect the white graduations on the knobs.
                  Being that it is now not protecting the graduations, it is pretty hard to clean the knobs without the graduations taking some damage as well.
                  Sometimes you'll get lucky and clean it before too much of the protective layer has been removed and the white will stay in place but often it will come off when cleaning.

Comment

sunbeam knobs-cleaning

Dear fellow coffee people,
                    Yes,just as I thought needs elbow grease together with hot water/metho,thanks again.
                    I'll get scrubbing while watching out for numbers/lettering etc.
                    Cheers
                    Mick
                    Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
                    Hot water and metho. Cheap and effective.

The sticky residue that covers the knobs is the old protective film that gave the knobs a nice solid feel when they were new. It also serves to protect the white graduations on the knobs.
                    Being that it is now not protecting the graduations, it is pretty hard to clean the knobs without the graduations taking some damage as well.
                    Sometimes you'll get lucky and clean it before too much of the protective layer has been removed and the white will stay in place but often it will come off when cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                    X