Please help me..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me..

I need a new coffee machine and even though some (if not all) will turn their noses up and run me out of town, I'm still going to ask.

for the past 8yrs+ I've used a Map pod machine and been happy with the taste/ease of use ratio.
    i usually have 1 a day and my wife makes it with her tea in the morning.

the ease of use, cleanliness a reasonable taste has been all that is needed. I don't even use a milk warmer I heat up milk in the microwave prior to putting it in the machine.

yeah, I'm a sinner. Lol

what I'm looking for is another automated machine or semi, that's easy to use, taste is good, option of own ground beans may help this, reasonably quick to use and clean up.

in other words I will sacrifice taste for convenience, but I've found the quality of the pods is getting worse and don't want to be left high and dry, with a machine I can't stand. Also, if I go back to pods I understand there is a cost that builds up over time.

thanks for any advice in advance. *dons his flame suit*

Cant help with advice Meinoz, however this site may help Good Food - Capsule machine road test I'm sure there must be other similar sites around.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
      Cant help with advice Meinoz, however this site may help Good Food - Capsule machine road test I'm sure there must be other similar sites around.
      Thnx Yelta

so is the general consensus that pods are equal to autos? Is there an auto, that's better than pods?

Comment

Most autos are better than pods. With autos, you can still use fresh beans which will give you a better coffee over pods every time.

The problem (among several) automatic machines have is the grind retention in the grinder outlet chute. This means that when you make the first coffee of the day, the coffee that is actually being used is mainly composed of coffee that was ground the last time you used the machine. It is advisable to brew and discard the first shot and then drink the next one. This only adds 40-60 seconds to the process and you will end up with a better coffee.
        Also, try not to store the beans in the hopper of the machine. Only put in the beans that you will use for the current brews. The residual heat from the machine will soak into the hopper and heating up coffee beans is not a good way to keep them fresh.

I have found the DeLonghi automatic machines to be able to grind fine enough to produce a pretty good cup. Pretty much all others cannot grind suitably fine enough; reliably and without modifications that is. Not something you would be interested in.
        I'm pretty sure retailers still sell the DeLonghi ESAM3500 at about $600-1000. Think I saw one at The Good Guys a while back. I would buy one of those over basically any of the flashy, shiny machines on offer for ridiculous sums of over $2000. It does have a milk jug which froths the milk for you but it is adjustable from no froth (just hot milk) to cappuccino levels of froth. The froth won't be the quality of a regular machine but it's not bad. It also may not be hot enough in the cup. If that's a problem for you, call DeLonghi and they will send you a flow restrictor which you install in the milk intake tube which ups the in-cup temperature by about 5 degrees.

I don't work for DeLonghi sales, I fix a lot of automatic machines and in my experience, the DeLonghi's are the friendliest to use, provide a fairly good coffee and are easy to clean. Cleaning is a big part of owning an auto. A lot of the machines I see have just been poorly maintained. They do require routine maintenance and cleaning which will extend their life.

Comment

The best pod coffee I've had is made by Illy. In pod land they stand out as superior compared to the others especially Nespresso. If convenience is the driving force they would be the ones to go for. However you will need an Illy machine as far as I'm aware they are not compatible with the Nesprsso system.

Comment

Noidle22 makes a good point about grind retention on the more expensive super autos. I too have played around with repairing super autos (mainly Saeco) for friends who have to use one in an office where it never receives any maintenance. Super autos need way too much attention or the problems they are bound to encounter in future will occur prematurely.
            Yes they grind fresh but for the maintenance, repair costs and initial cost (way over $1000 for most) they are not worth the money if you are not concerned about quality. They may seem convenient but they end up being a nightmare. You will find many used super autos for sale across several websites where people sell them for about $50 when the initial cost was between $1500-$2500. It is safe to say that nearly all of those have been repaired and need to be sold ASAP before it breaks down again, or they need repairs already.

If you were happy with a pod machine then certainly stick to one, because you can buy them at very cheap prices these days. My advice if you would like a slight improvement in the coffee you are consuming is to order from a roaster who sells their fresh roasts in pods on demand. *snob alert* none of these machines will be able to hold correct temperatures or achieve correct pressure etc. But if you are happy with the convenience then certainly look into pods from a roaster hope that helps.

Comment

My parents have a DeLonghi automatic machines. It is easy to use and clean. It has been extremely reliable for well over 10 years, maybe 15?. I have replaced all the o-rings this year and hopefully it will last another 5+ years. While automatics will never have the longevity of semi-automatic machines because of the use of plastic components that can crack with age and electronics; these units without milk are fairly reliable. Units with automatic milk seem to suffer from failures. Take a look at evilBay. Not sure if this is user maintenance issue. Makes acceptable espresso (not as good as a semi automatic) and it is the best brand automatic I have seen and tasted.

Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
              Most autos are better than pods. With autos, you can still use fresh beans which will give you a better coffee over pods every time.

The problem (among several) automatic machines have is the grind retention in the grinder outlet chute. This means that when you make the first coffee of the day, the coffee that is actually being used is mainly composed of coffee that was ground the last time you used the machine. It is advisable to brew and discard the first shot and then drink the next one. This only adds 40-60 seconds to the process and you will end up with a better coffee.
              Also, try not to store the beans in the hopper of the machine. Only put in the beans that you will use for the current brews. The residual heat from the machine will soak into the hopper and heating up coffee beans is not a good way to keep them fresh.

I have found the DeLonghi automatic machines to be able to grind fine enough to produce a pretty good cup. Pretty much all others cannot grind suitably fine enough; reliably and without modifications that is. Not something you would be interested in.
              I'm pretty sure retailers still sell the DeLonghi ESAM3500 at about $600-1000. Think I saw one at The Good Guys a while back. I would buy one of those over basically any of the flashy, shiny machines on offer for ridiculous sums of over $2000. It does have a milk jug which froths the milk for you but it is adjustable from no froth (just hot milk) to cappuccino levels of froth. The froth won't be the quality of a regular machine but it's not bad. It also may not be hot enough in the cup. If that's a problem for you, call DeLonghi and they will send you a flow restrictor which you install in the milk intake tube which ups the in-cup temperature by about 5 degrees.

I don't work for DeLonghi sales, I fix a lot of automatic machines and in my experience, the DeLonghi's are the friendliest to use, provide a fairly good coffee and are easy to clean. Cleaning is a big part of owning an auto. A lot of the machines I see have just been poorly maintained. They do require routine maintenance and cleaning which will extend their life.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.

ill have a look at the Delonghi auto mentioned and the roaster pods.

i do like a good tasting coffee, but sometime time and convenience takes a back seat.

Ie, if it's a choice between instant and pod, I'll take pod anyway or nothing at all.

thanks again.

Comment

G'day "Meinoz"...

Have you considered the Coffee Pods being sold by Di Bella Coffee? I don't know which machines they supply pods for but at least they use freshly roasted high quality coffee and that's got to be a good thing...

Mal.

Comment

Just an update, and you're going to laugh.

im now looking at a BES920 + grinder. Yeah, I know.

anyway, at this stage it's $1598, but that seem a little high compared to recent deals.

does anyone know who may be doing better deals?

Comment

Originally posted by Meinoz View Post
                      Just an update, and you're going to laugh.

im now looking at a BES920 + grinder. Yeah, I know.

anyway, at this stage it's $1598, but that seem a little high compared to recent deals.

does anyone know who may be doing better deals?
                      If you search on the pages of other large retailers you will knock off $100+ for the same deal from the one you have looked at. Considering that it does have a cylindrical boiler as opposed to a thermo-block boiler it is a decent starting point for a double boiler setup.

I am guessing you would like something that will enable you to make coffee for several people at a time.

If you would sacrifice having dual boilers for a more quality built entry level single boiler or heat exchanger machine, I would suggest talking to some of the site sponsors about a Rancilio Silvia, Lelit (PID & grinder combo), Nuova Simmoneli Oscar, or other entry level heat exchanger with cheap grinder combo.

It sounds like you have made up your mind though. Your choice or the ones I mentioned will take you to another dimension of coffee over the pod or super auto's you were considering originally . All the best

"coffee is a mysterious black hole where as you cross the event horizon, you see the the light in the darkness. No matter how much you think you know, your knowledge as well as your wallet is stretched to the limit"

Comment

Meinoz, I cannot help you with the lowest price for a Breville BES920. You will have to search among the many electronic discount stores that have them. I have been using a BES900 for over three years with great results. I bought mine from one of the Site Sponsors who sold the first ones when they came on the market.

The Brevelle dual boilers have a pretty unique method of temperature control to within one degree of the setting while doing multiple brews. The brew boiler is directly attached to the group head. Water enters the brew boiler through a heat exchanger in the steam boiler. The group head is directly heated with a third element and there are two PIDs, one to the brew boiler element and the other to the group head element.

There are many choices of machines out there. You have to choose the one that you would like to have at the price you are prepared to pay.

Barry

Comment

I bought the bes920 bcg820 combo for 1299 from HN about a month ago but it looks as though they have ended that deal. No one seems to have it on sale at the moment but if you can hold out for a while you will be able to get it at that price again.

Comment

Thanks guys, one on order now, so should be drinking by the weekend.

thanks for the advice, couldn't have got to this without you and the site.

now to find a nice coffee before the machine turns up

Comment

Let us know how you go.

Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X