BES860 Extraction/Pressure Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BES860 Extraction/Pressure Problem

Ive had my 860 for coming up to 3 yrs and its worked well all that time......until now. I have my grind and quantity/tamping down to a fine art and experience virtually no variation. I clean regularly using the tablets. Normally when I commence extraction the pressure needle immediately increases to its normal spot, just over half way on the scale. It would normally take between 20 and 28 seconds for a 2 cup extraction. Now I am noticing zero movement on the pressure gauge for about 4-5 seconds before increasing and very fast extraction resulting in a poor cup. I thought perhaps my tubes might need descaling even though I thought the tablet cleaning would have taken care of that. I purchased some cafetto descaler today in the hope it would work. Ran 2 full cleaning cycles then 2 more with fresh water for good measure. Tested and no change. I suspect I may need to replace a tube or 2 but cannot be certain. Im hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. Thank you. Regards

Sounds like it may be stale coffee, worth trying another supplier.

Comment

Im pretty happy with my supplier. The beans in question were roasted week ago.

Comment

I certainly wouldn't be faffing about with the machine until you have isolated that it may be the beans, plus the inbuilt grinder is not the most reliable and is not particularly sensitive enough for precision. Won't do any harm to give the grinder a good clean too.

Comment

OK thanks. Ill get on to that tonight then. Appreciate you taking the time.

Comment

Hello Pepperberry,

Maybe your grinder is not grinding fine enough. It can be adjusted.

Take a look at: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post545511

Barry

Comment

Thanks Barry. Ill get stuck into it tonight

Comment

Last night I cleaned out the grinder. It was really a mess and had not been done for over a year I reckon. I tested the full capability of the grinder and produced course and very fine material. I was pleased to see that after reading Barry's link about grinder reliability. The optimal position is around the 12 mark. My problem has not gone away though so the only other thing I can do now is get a new supply of beans and re test.
                Thanks for your assistance.

Comment

Are you only using the required amount of beans for each shot? because if you are filling the hopper up the heat from the machine will stale the beans very quickly.

Comment

Be careful not to pour water into the grinder while refilling the water tank when it is attached to the BES860.

Barry

Comment

Working...
                    X