Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 issues...HELP!

Hi guys,
    I just bought a second hand EM6910. Apparantly about 12months old. It is the newest version I think.

Problems:
    1. The light above the single shot button seems to be not working at all. Is this a blown bulb? Bad connector or something?
    2. Also, when I hit 'Manual' it only runs for about 15 seconds and produces only about 50mL of water before shutting off. Is this normal? When I hit the other buttons, single or double, it runs for an even shorter period of time.

Things I've tried:
    1. Reset to factory settings, got 4 beeps etc.
    2. Ran cleaning cycle.
    Neither made any difference to the running time/quantity of the water.

Has anyone else come across these issues before? If so, can you help at all? Thanks guys!

I seem to remember one of the lights on my 6910 not on, so I wouldn't worry about that. I thought the manual button was supposed to run for aprox 45 seconds giving out ~250 mL water, so that might be a problem. I take it this is free-flow, have you tried getting a shot from it? I doubt it could have scaled up enough over the last year for such a dramatic effect... can you return it to the seller as faulty? Theres so many of the things available on gumtree, though unfortunately they are all similarly prone to a failure of the electronics!

Comment

Originally posted by samdasurfinman View Post
      Hi guys,
      I just bought a second hand EM6910. Apparantly about 12months old. It is the newest version I think.

Problems:
      1. The light above the single shot button seems to be not working at all. Is this a blown bulb? Bad connector or something?
      2. Also, when I hit 'Manual' it only runs for about 15 seconds and produces only about 50mL of water before shutting off. Is this normal? When I hit the other buttons, single or double, it runs for an even shorter period of time.

Things I've tried:
      1. Reset to factory settings, got 4 beeps etc.
      2. Ran cleaning cycle.
      Neither made any difference to the running time/quantity of the water.

Has anyone else come across these issues before? If so, can you help at all? Thanks guys!
      Hi samdasurfinman

Did you pull the showerscreens off and clean in between them? The 6910 is unusual: it has two showerscreens, not one. Poor technique can "slurp up" coffee and stick it between the two screens: it can clog up very quickly and reduce water flow to a trickle. The following is how to replace the seal, however the first three steps get the showerscreens out.

EM6910 Group Head Seal.pdf

BTW, I NEVER use pliers to remove the seal, and at this stage you should not try to remove it anyway (unlesss the whole inside is filthy). Damaging the seal is means replacing it...

Hope this helps sort it out.

TampIt

Comment

Originally posted by burr View Post
        I seem to remember one of the lights on my 6910 not on, so I wouldn't worry about that. I thought the manual button was supposed to run for aprox 45 seconds giving out ~250 mL water, so that might be a problem. I take it this is free-flow, have you tried getting a shot from it? I doubt it could have scaled up enough over the last year for such a dramatic effect... can you return it to the seller as faulty? Theres so many of the things available on gumtree, though unfortunately they are all similarly prone to a failure of the electronics!
        Hi burr. Much appreciated. Yes I have tried running a few shots with good consistency. I can get a decent coffee still, but I have to press manual about 4 or 5 times to get it to run long enough to get 30mL worth of shot.

Comment

Originally posted by TampIt View Post
          Hi samdasurfinman

Did you pull the showerscreens off and clean in between them? The 6910 is unusual: it has two showerscreens, not one. Poor technique can "slurp up" coffee and stick it between the two screens: it can clog up very quickly and reduce water flow to a trickle. The following is how to replace the seal, however the first three steps get the showerscreens out.

[ATTACH]8170[/ATTACH]

BTW, I NEVER use pliers to remove the seal, and at this stage you should not try to remove it anyway (unlesss the whole inside is filthy). Damaging the seal is means replacing it...

Hope this helps sort it out.

TampIt
          Hi TampIt. Thanks for your reply. I have cleaned both shower screens so that's all good. The seal looks fine. I doubt it'll have any effect, but I might try a descale.

I've worked out that the way to get it to run the longest, is to program the double shot button to run at it's maximum. Weird hey?

Comment

The plot thickens...
            So I turned the machine on just now, and all of the lights correctly came on. Even the one above the single shot button. So the bulb is not gone. I then proceeded to hit manual to see if anything had changed with regard to run time, but no. Then when it stopped, the light above the single shot was dead again! How 'bout that?!

UPDATE: So it seems that the light has decided to work now. So really now the problem is just the time of the pump running. When 'Manual' is pressed, it puts out however much water it pleases. Sometimes 50mL sometimes 150 and everything in between. Any ideas? The steam and HW both work fine. Just the pump run time is all random??
            Last edited by samdasurfinman; 4 December 2014, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you have a dodgy flowmeter or control board and possibly button panel.

If you are confident in disassembling the machine, you can easily remove and clean the flowmeter, same with the button panel. The control panel is a bit harder to check.
              Have a go at the flowmeter and buttons first and see if anything changes. A new control board is a significant investment in the EM6910 so if you can avoid it that would be best.

Comment

Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
                Sounds like you have a dodgy flowmeter or control board and possibly button panel.

If you are confident in disassembling the machine, you can easily remove and clean the flowmeter, same with the button panel. The control panel is a bit harder to check.
                Have a go at the flowmeter and buttons first and see if anything changes. A new control board is a significant investment in the EM6910 so if you can avoid it that would be best.
                Ok cool. I will try that. I do fiddle with electronics quite a bit. Is there a blow out diagram somewhere so I can see where the flow meter is?

Comment

Originally posted by samdasurfinman View Post
                  Ok cool. I will try that. I do fiddle with electronics quite a bit. Is there a blow out diagram somewhere so I can see where the flow meter is?

Hi samdasurfinman

The following should see you there.

EM6910 Service manual.pdf

Regards

TampIt

Comment

Working...
                  X