No announcement yet.

thinking about a new machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd go as far as to say that given good beans and skill, it's possible for an expert to make a better coffee on a Breville/Smart grinder than the majority might make with their Rocexpozoccos and >1k grinders. It's also possible to drive down to the shops in a $500 banger.

Regardless, there is a certain pleasure in having a beautifully manufactured and finished car or espresso machine and I for one know which I'd sooner drive to the local.

Comment

I will drive my Toyota or walk to the pub, having made a coffee, second to none, on my BDB or with my Little Guy. Both were bought from Site Sponsors.

Barry

Comment

Breville will completely repair / refurbish the unit for 350 which includes shipping both ways. I is almost to cheap not to do. According to the CS rep on the phone they may just send out a completely rebuilt 920xl instead of the 900xl I sent them.

Comment

Originally posted by jonhirschman View Post
          Breville will completely repair / refurbish the unit for 350 which includes shipping both ways. I is almost to cheap not to do. According to the CS rep on the phone they may just send out a completely rebuilt 920xl instead of the 900xl I sent them.
          I think it would be 'rather courageous' to generalise from your personal circumstance to Breville's general policy on older machines experiencing a few hiccups

But who knows, maybe they don't mind running negative margins?

Comment

I'd like to know where you found out about this. I spoke to Breville on the phone about the many issues with my BDB900 (purchased march 2012) and I was told "its out of warranty. Take it to one of our designated service agents but you will have to pay for any repairs"

Comment

Originally posted by TOK View Post
              Also please note, there are enough great machines in the market place that are not always memntioned in these pages, and owing to the (still) crap internal economy, prices are very very keen. You should be able to pick up a great "budget class" semi commercial for around 2 thou.....a little lower than your stated 3 thou, except if you are set on getting a particular model.

Hope that helps.
              A great post thanks. This last paragraph is a little cryptic, and if you were able to be more forthcoming on the machines you are referring to it would be appreciated.

I think Breville may well be responsible for a large group of converts to decent home coffee who may now, as their machines predictably start failing in numbers, are all going to be faced with the same dilemmas as the OP. Believe me, all those shiny $2000+ boxes look very similar, and it is not that easy for everybody to even find a 'bricks and mortar' establishment with a decent range of machines on demo, or to receive impartial advice on what to buy next. So ease of use becomes difficult to assess.

Comment

Originally posted by coolie21 View Post
                I'd like to know where you found out about this. I spoke to Breville on the phone about the many issues with my BDB900 (purchased march 2012) and I was told "its out of warranty. Take it to one of our designated service agents but you will have to pay for any repairs"
                You should note that johnhirschman (welcome to the forum, John!) mentions 900xl and 920xl machines. This means he is in North America not Australia, and his circumstances won't apply here. You probably won't even get close unless you can get Breville to accept an ACL claim.

Comment

Actually I called to get the name and location in the US where I could get my unit services. They tolde they don't have any authorized repair facilities. That is when they said for any out of warrantee unit there is a fixed price to repair it. And he said it doesn't matter what is wrong with it because they just do a total refurb.

Comment

Working...
                  X