Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

descaling, back flushing/reverse flushing and other cleaning of Rancilio Silvia (V3)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• descaling, back flushing/reverse flushing and other cleaning of Rancilio Silvia (V3)?

Hello everyone

I have V3 Rancilio Silvia which I bought new in ~2009-2010, soon after it first arrived in Australia.
    I live in Melbourne and always used Melbourne tap water in it.

The machine *never* steams milk, I only use it to make double espresso/ristretto coffees.

I make about on (average) ~12-14 double-espresso per week, i.e. about ~700-800 double-shots per year over last 4-5 years.
    I have to admit that I have never ever descaled the V3 Silvia, so this would be about 3500 double-espresso shots!! 8^)

I am looking for some detailed instructions or a link to a YouTube videos telling me how to correctly clean/descale this Silvia machine and also how to correctly back flush/reverse flush it (if its SAFE to do?).

Many thanks!!

found them myself on Youtube, worth watching if anyone interested, easy to find, type "rancilio silvia" in youtube and go from there.

FYI - for those with Silvia, it may help you.....

The element/boiler on my V3 Silvia failed (blowing fuses when its hot) and I had it replaced this week.
    The repair man put the new V4 boiler/element into my V3 Silvia, they appear to be compatible, I guess (thoughts?????)

So next time the boiler/element dies, it should cost a lot less to replace it, with new V4 boiler/element design.
    This is the theory, I guess !! We shall see.

I had a look inside of my failed V3 boiler which in ~5 years was only descaled may be once or twice, last time ~2+ years ago.
    I use Melbourne tap water only (soft water?) and I make about 700 cups of double espresso per year (zero steaming!).
    The internals of the failed boiler were *clean* and no descaling was needed - the repair man confirmed it.
    I am guessing that if you use soft Melbourne tap water then you dont really need to descale Silvia any more than annually - unless you make a lot more coffee than 700 cups and you steam regularly.

I dont have a clue why my V3 boiler failed, I dont keep my machine switched on for more than 20 min, on warm-up, and I switch off immediately after I made my double espresso and I never steam and I only use it for multiple espresso (4-6 cups, parties) once every 1-2 months.
    But I know the lack of descaling is NOT the reason for the boiler failure.

YMMV, as they say.

Comment

Working...
    X