Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancilio Silvia V4 - what is the verdict?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia V4 - what is the verdict?

Greetings

I have a Silvia V3, since 2010.
    Is it worth buying a V4, how is V4 better than V3 for making double-espresso shots ? (I do NOT steam milk).

Perhaps Silvia V5 is due out soon?????

THANKS!

Is your Sylvia V3 modified with PID and OPV adjustments? If not, perhaps it will be better to spend the money on that. What grinder is Sylvia V3 paired with?

Comment

Hi, thanks.

I dont have any modifications and I use Rocky doser grinder.
      I dont like to modify my equipment, I keep it standard.
      Assuming I will not modify it - it is worth buying V4 over V3 after 4-5 years ?

thanks

Comment

Nah!!! Upgrade your grinder first. Then move to an espresso machine with better brew temperature stability.

Comment

There is really only a difference with the boiler/element assembly with the v4 compared to the v3 which makes it a more streight forward job to replace the element if it were to fail.
          As for leaving it standard. The opv is adjustable for a reason. And at least adding a temp readout allows you to gronk it.

Comment

Originally posted by acid_rider View Post
            Hi, thanks.

I dont have any modifications and I use Rocky doser grinder.
            I dont like to modify my equipment, I keep it standard.
            Assuming I will not modify it - it is worth buying V4 over V3 after 4-5 years ?

thanks
            Not sure about differences on V3 compared to V4, however learning to operate either machine in its unmodified form is a smart move, if its just a boiler upgrade I would stay with the machine you own, assuming its running well.

You can PID, gronk, honk or bonk em, all your doing is spending money and adding complexity.

The Silvia runs just fine in standard form and produces very good coffee.

Comment

Is "very good coffee" a euphemism for "not bad espresso"?

Comment

Not a euphemism for any thing, it means exactly what I intended it to mean.

If I were a 20 something hipster I probably would have used one of the currently hackneyed words (amazing, incredible and awesome) but I ain't so I won't.
                Last edited by Yelta; 6 February 2015, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Very good coffee it is!

Comment

thanks everyone.

FYI - my V3 boiler failed and was replaced this week with a new V4 boiler (installed into the same V3 machine, guessing its compatible?).
                    So I guess I "upgraded" to V4, assuming this is the only change from V3 to V4 ?

re coffee making, yes, I do temperature surf my double espresso (I dont ever steam), and I have the Synesso double basket too, plus I do weigh the beans prior to grinding and I use high end heavy tamper and the Rocky grinder (dozer) seems like a very good choice for Silvia.
                    Overall I am happy with my Silvia double espresso, its at least as good as 95% of commercial choices, IME.
                    Therefore I dont feel that I need a PID or other modifications but I do admit that having a water temperature display would help me to achieve better results on espresso at home.

Comment

Originally posted by acid_rider View Post
                      thanks everyone.
                      I dont feel that I need a PID or other modifications but I do admit that having a water temperature display would help me to achieve better results on espresso at home.
                      Fact is that you can get a Pid controller these days for marginally more than a readout. Add a thermocouple that you need for the readout anyway and an SSD relay and enclosure and your done.

Comment

Originally posted by koshari View Post
                        Fact is that you can get a Pid controller these days for marginally more than a readout. Add a thermocouple that you need for the readout anyway and an SSD relay and enclosure and your done.
                        Exactly; you can get a whole kit (sans wiring, housing and cable management) for forty bucks on eBay.

Temperature surfing is only a useful skill while you have a machine that requires you to temp-surf, so unless you enjoy doing that, there's definitely value in using a PID.

Comment

Dragunov21, Im interested in the PID kit for 40 bucks. Searched ebay but couldn't see it.
                          Any chance you could provide a link please?

Comment

while we are on subject of temperature surfing.

Let me share something from my Silvia V3 (with V4 element installed, repair).

I preheat my Silvia for about ~20 min and then I flush water until the light comes on, then i wait for light to turn off.

Then I tried purging water for about 3-4 seconds as recommended in this thread.

Then I extracted a double shot for about 30 seconds, about 45 ml.
                            NOT HAPPY.
                            Not hot enough.
                            Perhaps water purge of 3-4 seconds is too long and I should try it for just 1-2 seconds???? I dont know.

I then tried to wait 120 seconds after the light goes off, instead of purging any water.
                            NOT HAPPY, similar deal, not hot enough.

This morning I waited for just 60 seconds after light goes off before extraction.
                            Better result but still NOT HAPPY. Ordinary brew.

I will next try waiting just 30 seconds and also perhaps try 15 seconds but I now wonder if on a Silvia any waiting or any water purging will help??
                            I may be better off extracting (almost) immediately after the light comes off (i.e. wait just ~5-10 seconds only).

YMMV, I go by my own personal taste.

Comment

I usually pull shots about 5 to 10 seconds after the light turns off. At least until after the boiler stops making noise.

Comment

Working...
                              X