Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancilio Silvia - how long to pre-heat machine before first use in the morning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia - how long to pre-heat machine before first use in the morning?

Greetings all

what is the minimum optimum time the Rancilio Silvia machine (I have a V3 right now, but with a V4 element/boiler) needs to be pre-heated before making first double espresso in the mornings?

Over last 5 years of ownership I tried pre-heating it for: 15 min, 20 min, 25 min and 30 min (and a few times as much as 40-45 min) and I can not tell any difference in quality of my double espresso - i.e. 15 min pre-heating makes as good a double shot as 30 min.

I noticed that anything less that 15 min is not enough but I dont have any "scientific" proof of that !
    Hence I now pre-heat for 15-20 min.

Note that I always do the temperature surf but I do not have any machine modifications (no PID, etc) on my machine.

Thoughts on pre-heating of Silvia?

Thanks!

I found 15 to 20 mins to be about the mark AR.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
      I found 15 to 20 mins to be about the mark AR.
      many thanks! Good to have a confirmation !

Comment

I have a V.4 and let it warm up for 15, flush, purge the wand and then surf.

Comment

Originally posted by sprezzatura View Post
          I have a V.4 and let it warm up for 15, flush, purge the wand and then surf.
          thanks, assuming you purge the wand - do you steam milk?

I only ever make espresso, I never steam, so I never open the steam wand and I never use the steam button on my Silvia either.
          Is that OK? Or do I need to periodically open the steam and use the steam button for well-being of my machine or for better espresso??

Comment

Definitely YES! Any valve; pipe; jet; bushing, steam tip needs to be cycled and flushed.

I'm a technician and I see a lot of precipitate obstructing unused groups and steam and hot water pipes, etc.

It's good to flush the boiler anyway and introduce fresh water. I almost never make milk drinks but I still cycle the valves and switches.

Just good practice. Espresso machines need to be used to stay happy.

Comment

Definitely YES! Any valve; pipe; jet; bushing, steam tip needs to be cycled and flushed.

I'm a technician and I see a lot of precipitate obstructing unused groups and steam and hot water pipes, etc.

It's good to flush the boiler anyway and introduce fresh water. I almost never make milk drinks but I still cycle the valves and switches.

Just good practice. Espresso machines need to be used to stay happy.
              thanks, so assuming I never steam - how often do I need to open the steam wand?

Comment

How about once a week - switch steam; purge a bit; close steam valve lightly (just enough to stop steam); switch off.

Comment

... or switch off and purge whatever's left and close valve lightly.

Comment

... or switch off and purge whatever's left and close valve lightly.
                    thanks, will do

Comment

Cheers! If you ever have any Silvia functioning/maintenance questions let me know.

Comment

P.s. Do the hot water, too.

Comment

Buy a cheap timer and set it for 30 min before you wake up, leave the handle in the machine , so by the time you get to the machine it is also hot. These machines have such a small boiler on them ( just like Gaggia Classic) when you pour a shot the temperature fluctuation is huge.
                          PID kits on these types of machines, from my testing are also a complete waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Christiano View Post
                            PID kits on these types of machines, from my testing are also a complete waste of money.
                            Rubbish!

Mal.

Comment

The silvia has a 300ml boiler, a shot is 30ml so you are displacing only about 10% off the boilers volume with liquid at an ambient temperature off say 20 deg C. this would (without temperature control on a standing temperature) pull the temp down at best about 10 deg , on the other hand the hysteresis and the overshoot of the standard temp switches is over 15 degrees! My PID catches a 30 sec expression and turns it around from 105 deg at about 102, and then you only get about 1 to 2 deg of overshoot.

i would be interested in what your "testing" actually consisted of?

Comment

Working...
                              X