Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rancilio Silvia - how long to pre-heat machine before first use in the morning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by acid_rider View Post
    what machine do you recommend (for espresso only drinkers) for home, if not Silvia?
    Any other machines for home, in $500-$1500 price range that beat Silvia for espresso making ?
    At that price , you can be into a decent E61 group , HX machine... Isomac TEA, LeLit Mara, Bezzera BZ10 etc
    .And if you are comfortable with a pre-owned unit, you have many more choices.

Comment

I think we are getting off topic here and I obviously opened up a can of worms , but to answer some previous questions, the boiler capacity is actually just under 100ml.

You need around 120 ml to complete a a double shot.

Easy to see why when tested it doesn't matter if you have an aluminium or brass boiler with or with with out a PID, all make no big difference as the boiler capacity is just to small.

Half way through the shot the water is simply getting to cold, as half of the boiler has now been replaced with cold water and by the end of the shot may be well under 65 deg with some machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Christiano View Post
        I think we are getting off topic here and I obviously opened up a can of worms , but to answer some previous questions, the boiler capacity is actually just under 100ml.
        Which machine are you referring to here?

Mal.

Comment

I measured the Gaggia again today, at just under 100ml, but will crack some of the other brands open again shortly.

Comment

Silvia is meant to be 300ml

Comment

Ah, rightio. Yep, the Gaggia Classic boilers et al are pretty small alright. Very quick recovery time though so I don't think it would be a huge penalty if one made espressos at a steady pace...

From a couple of Silvias I've pulled apart, they appeared to be holding at about a ~200ml level in the boiler when primed, similar to an Imat Mokita/Lelit style machine as well - Going back a few years though....

Mal.

Comment

The thing I like about the saturated group pre 2015 Gaggia Classic in-spite of the small boiler capacity is that there are mods available like OPV adjustment, PID, steam switch hacks for thermoblocking ascending brew temp profile and even dimmer switch for the vibe pump flow profiling. It is a good machine for making 1 or 2 espresso/espresso milk drinks at home in the morning. Pair it with a good stepless grinder and you have a pretty good setup.

Comment

Because even with a PID , it is not constant and fluctuates drastically half way through the shot.
                  You have to start at temperature that burns the coffee at the start and finishes to cold from about half way through the shot.
                  This doesn't have to be the case.

Comment

Because even with a PID , it is not constant and fluctuates drastically half way through the shot.
                    You have to start at temperature that burns the coffee at the start and finishes to cold from about half way through the shot.
                    Don't pay attention to a digital screen readout on the machine that can't keep up and is not accurate.
                    The passion for coffee has got hold love it, but time to move on give the machine to grandma and spend an extra $300 to $500 upgrading and get twice the machine and an consistent 90 plus degrees from start to finish of your shot, also more than double the steam power.

But most of all , a developed pallet will taste the difference.

If the machine user happens to be using supermarket coffee or a very dark robusta filled roast , erase everything I have said and just keep enjoying coffee , at least they are not drinking instant.

Cheers
                    A V.4 Silvia is $799 - what do you get that's better for $1200 and has better temp. stability?

Comment

And what's twice the machine for 300 - 500 more? Twice the machine is more in the realm of $1400 more than a new Silvia.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425215472.336199.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	738560

A.R. - matched my V.4 with a new Macap M2M. I don't have much counter space so the M2M is great!

Comment

Now, that looks like a really nicely balanced setup there "sprezzatura"...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                          X