Would an 870 make good espresso?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would an 870 make good espresso?

My internal debat over getting my first esspresso machine is difficult. I see a lot of people shitting over Breville and I see a lot of people enjoying their 870. And when people complain about the quality of the shot, it seems some are not using fresh beans, or not tamping correctly, or not using the right amount.

I want to get this machine, it has a lot of nice features (all-in-one saves my counter space, built in tamp, pressure guague, PID), I just want it to also make a decent latte.

So as someone who will be using absolutly fresh beans and will take the time to learn how to pull the best possible shot, will I be able to make an espresso I will be happy with (not looking for the worlds best, just something not vile)? With that 20% eBay deal ending tommorow, I need to know if I should pull the trigger or not.

Originally posted by akinzin View Post
    My internal debat over getting my first esspresso machine is difficult. I see a lot of people shitting over Breville and I see a lot of people enjoying their 870. And when people complain about the quality of the shot, it seems some are not using fresh beans, or not tamping correctly, or not using the right amount.

I want to get this machine, it has a lot of nice features (all-in-one saves my counter space, built in tamp, pressure guague, PID), I just want it to also make a decent latte.

So as someone who will be using absolutly fresh beans and will take the time to learn how to pull the best possible shot, will I be able to make an espresso I will be happy with (not looking for the worlds best, just something not vile)? With that 20% eBay deal ending tommorow, I need to know if I should pull the trigger or not.
    Will you want your shiny new machine to last more than 2 years trouble free?

Comment

I had a BES860 for 4yrs fault free as my first serious entry level machine before upgrading to my HX machine. I bought it because it fitted my budget including grinder. It made good coffee and only issue was that I had to adjust the grinder internally so I had more margin for finer adjustment, otherwise, I had to dose like a mofo on one of the finest settings. This issue probably resolved for the 870.

I have used a 870 a few times and it made decent coffee but not as smooth as my 860. However, it was pretty new and probably still bedding in.

I never considered second hand as an option when I bought the 860, but knowing more now, maybe a good condition second hand Rancilio Silvia or Lelit sold with a grinder would have still been good for the same price.

Comment

Strange first post, call me a cynic if you like but reads like an advertorial to me, surely not.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
          Strange first post, call me a cynic if you like but reads like an advertorial to me, surely not.
          Sorry, but its not. Just wonder if I should get it or not before the sale goes off tommorrow.

I had seen the Lelit Combi aswell and it looks very nice. But is it really really worth the $1,000?

Comment

Fair enough.

The Lelit is in a different class altogether than the Breville, have a read through this Lelit Combi (PL042EMI)

Is it worth the extra? in my opinion without a doubt.

Comment

Get the lelit pl042temd and support a site sponsor, and not the rubbish tip.

You will get 10 years easily from the lelit if you feed it filtered water and keep it maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by kyeba View Post

You will get 10 years easily from the lelit if you feed it filtered water and keep it maintained.
                The $1,000 is already pushign it, an extra $250 on top of that is too much, not to mention I would want to get a tamp with it so that is already an extra $25-$50. The machine would still perform beautifuly without a PID... Right?

Comment

The machine would still perform beautifuly without a PID... Right?
                  Right, just a matter of becoming accustomed to the machine, no big deal.

Comment

Right, just a matter of becoming accustomed to the machine, no big deal.
                    Good to hear! Still a few hours left to decide. I like the sound of a machine that will last 10 years. But a decade is a long time also.. Arrg, the choice is so difficult. I do have the money for a combi.. But have a strong urge to save some of that.. But I don't plan on upgrading ever unless the machine breaks, which I would be happy if i could get 5 years out of either.. Someone make the choice for me..

Comment

If you really want it to last at least 5 years I would NOT buy anything from a throw away appliance manufacturer... their business model has nothing to do with making machines to last that long
                      Last edited by Vinitasse; 15 March 2016, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Someone make the choice for me..
                        Well if you want to get the Breville, just flush some money down the toilet

Comment

Originally posted by kyeba View Post
                          Breville is a site sponsor............

The BES870 is capable of making a very good coffee. The steam wand is very easy to use and has adequate power. It's easy to learn the different milk steaming techniques, probably one of the easiest in my opinion.

The built in grinder is nice but it's always advisable to remove the hopper unless you are making a coffee otherwise the radiant heat from the machine will cause the beans to stale rapidly.

The included tamper works well enough and the magnetic storage in the machine is a great idea. However, it's fairly lightweight and upgrading it would see an improvement in the espresso quality I would think. The problem here is that the BES870 uses a 54mm tamper and there is basically no aftermarket for this size of equipment.

Temperature stability is good and it heats up very quickly, good for morning coffee's if that's your thing.

To reflect the other poster's opinion, it is an appliance and will certainly wear out within 5 years if you use it regularly. Regular maintenance and getting on top of problems when they occur may extend this time but you will eventually need to replace it.

It comes down to whether you rate lower initial cost but less reliability over higher initial cost but better reliability. It's up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
                            Breville is a site sponsor............

The BES870 is capable of making a very good coffee. The steam wand is very easy to use and has adequate power. It's easy to learn the different milk steaming techniques, probably one of the easiest in my opinion.

The built in grinder is nice but it's always advisable to remove the hopper unless you are making a coffee otherwise the radiant heat from the machine will cause the beans to stale rapidly.

The included tamper works well enough and the magnetic storage in the machine is a great idea. However, it's fairly lightweight and upgrading it would see an improvement in the espresso quality I would think. The problem here is that the BES870 uses a 54mm tamper and there is basically no aftermarket for this size of equipment.

Temperature stability is good and it heats up very quickly, good for morning coffee's if that's your thing.

To reflect the other poster's opinion, it is an appliance and will certainly wear out within 5 years if you use it regularly. Regular maintenance and getting on top of problems when they occur may extend this time but you will eventually need to replace it.

It comes down to whether you rate lower initial cost but less reliability over higher initial cost but better reliability. It's up to you.
                            Well said Noidle, certainly a balanced and less biased response.

Comment

Well said Noidle, certainly a balanced and less biased response.
                              You guys do know how to make a man spend a lot of money.. It would be used by two people everyday.. Seems like the combi is the best choice, unless anyone objects? I know their is a whole separate grinder and machine thing that if one breaks and upgradability, but being in SA used machines don't pop-up often so this really is the best price (and I'm impatient and want one so bad). All in favor say eye!

Comment

Working...
                              X