Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

for those in the market for a bes920....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for those in the market for a bes920....

check the harvey norman website. it seems they have an offer you cant beat. got mine ordered, will post updates on whether they go through with or not

just my 2 cents

Wow. That with a k3 push grinder is what I would get and upgrade when I need to the machine.

Comment

Any sign of a replacement for the BES920? It's a good price, but if a whiz bang BES930 gets announced, kinda takes the sparkle off.

Comment

crazy price indeed. lower than many second hand I would say, If i had not bought HX machines I'd get this in a heartbeat. for this price durability and other concerns become a non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by symphonie View Post
          durability and other concerns become a non-issue.
          That is unless you care about dumping even more crap into landfill in 3 years when it's clapped out and parts become unavailable.

Comment

That's not to say this isn't a great price and if this is what you're in the market for, jump on it. No doubt Mick will take it off your hands and give it a new lease on life

Comment

I don't understand the sentiment against appliance coffee machines here, most of our machines at home are appliances, tv, microwave, laptop, fridge.. and when you buy an appliance coffee machine it is deemed crap in the landfill in 3 yrs, Would you buy a commercial fridge at home for the sake of durability?

Comment

I don't understand the sentiment against appliance coffee machines here
                I think it's some sort of resentment to the fact that they won't make coffee as well as machines that cost thousands of dollars more (what a surprise) and won't last as long as machines that cost thousands of dollars more (what a surprise).

Regarding the Breville dual boiler range, the original BES900 machines are going on 5-6 years old and aside from couple of common issues that any decent technician can solve without too much distress (financial and mental) to the customer, the machines are still going strong.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the good ones, however when companies have a fire sale to rid themselves of old stock, as is clearly happening here, your investment and whatever you paid for it is rendered worthless. How does this occur? Easy. They retail them for 5x (or more) of what their actual landed cost is.

Appliance strategy delivers planned redundancy which renders parts unavailable after a few years. When something goes pop as it inevitably does, the options are to try to find another dead one for parts or the hard rubbish collection/the tip.

The cost of ownership of an appliance is the full spend. I see 15 year old Giottos still selling at 50% (or more) of what their owners paid. In my opinion, their owners receive far better value for money.

Comment

I don't understand the sentiment against appliance coffee machines here, most of our machines at home are appliances, tv, microwave, laptop, fridge.. and when you buy an appliance coffee machine it is deemed crap in the landfill in 3 yrs, Would you buy a commercial fridge at home for the sake of durability?
                    Hi symphonie,

It's not a snob thing or something for those with sustainability in mind. The reason is justified. For a long time now appliance manufacturers have made poor choices in regards to what materials and designs they adopt for making espresso machines. If you see your espresso setup as a long term investment there is no point in forking out for a new appliance every few years. The cost of one of these past model appliances was often the same price as an entry level small single boiler or hx which could well and truly last a decade if not more with minimal or no repairs if looked after.

Thermoblock model machines ( not the bes920) get the thumbs down from myself and a lot of others because they lack the thermal capacity to make espresso properly without heat elements at the group head. They corrode and aren't the highest grade materials that could be used for the price you pay for the machine. I'm not saying they can't make palatable espresso. It's the fact that their products simply aren't good enough value for money and they exist to corner the market under $1000 where you won't find much else unless you buy used (which I would rather anyday).

The bes920 is a respectable machine and the features it offers are great. I will gladly say that the team at Breville really thought harder on this one and they'll have many more satisfied customers if they keep up with the proper internal improvements they've made over previous models.

The comparison to buying any other home apliance is not sensible. If something of higher quality exists and is made to be repaired if necesary somewhere down the line then of course it is the wiser choice. Respectable Espresso machine manufacturers aren't still around for nothing. They still make the same quality products they've dedicated themselves to without cutting corners and update their designs with careful thought and integrity to keep up with newer features. That's certainly something to be valued in todays wasteful consumer society.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post

Appliance strategy delivers planned redundancy which renders parts unavailable after a few years. When something goes pop as it inevitably does, the options are to try to find another dead one for parts or the hard rubbish collection/the tip.

The cost of ownership of an appliance is the full spend. I see 15 year old Giottos still selling at 50% (or more) of what their owners paid. In my opinion, their owners receive far better value for money.
                      Planned redundancy. That says it all Chris :thumbup:
                      Even a Lelit Combi I sold years ago in great condition with good accessories still fetched $400 and it was 10 years old.

Comment

As an interesting aside, I routinely sell 7-8 year old Breville 800ES machines for $200 which retailed for $400. I also sell Sunbeam EM6910's for $300-$400, they retailed for $800.

They're sort of the exception not the rule however certain appliance machines are still respected.

Comment

I picked one up from Harvey Norman and it seems like the machine is second hand. Has scratches/marks in various places and the tank has some deposits in the valve that connects to the machine. Is this normal or would I be able to return it based on this?Click image for larger version

Name:	13129070_10205578956023487_1815033597_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	741987

Comment

Might be a display model boxed up? They do let people have a go in store after all.

Comment

I made my remark flippantly with no expectation that it would spark any sort of ideological debate about "appliances" vs "traditional" machines and questions of sustainability.

Not everyone can justify splashing a couple of grand on a machine (although arguably, if you did, and in 3 years you chose to sell, you probably wouldn't be out of pocket the $700 this one costs). This is a bargain way for those people to get in on the dual boiler/pid tech and I don't wish to judge anybody that chooses to get one even if it wouldn't be my first choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X