Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia Tripping

Hi all,

My less than a year old Silvia has recently started tripping the power after I flick the steam switch. I installed a PID on the machine when I purchased it in July 2015 and it has worked flawlessly up until a few days ago. I've tried the thermostat rest button without any luck, so I'm guessing the problem either lies in one of the thermostats or somewhere else. I've checked all wiring and everything seems in order. Am I correct in thinking it couldn't be the boiler element as it heats up and I can pull a shot with no problem? Also, Im guessing any warranty would be void seeing as I installed the PID kit?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Sched7

The high temp. TCO could be bad. This deals with the extra load delivered to the element to create steam. The switch itself may be bad if your RCD trips immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by sprezzatura View Post
      The high temp. TCO could be bad. This deals with the extra load delivered to the element to create steam. The switch itself may be bad if your RCD trips immediately.
      Thanks Sprezzatura - by the TCO, I'm assuming you're referring to the resettable thermostat on the side of the boiler? Tripping tends to occur a minute or so after the steam switch is flicked btw.

Comment

G'day "Sched7"...

Did you install the PID Controller from one of the kit versions that are around or your own custom version?

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
          G'day "Sched7"...

Did you install the PID Controller from one of the kit versions that are around or your own custom version?

Mal.
          Hi Mal,

I bought a Auber Instruments RSNSb kit from the same place I got the machine. I decided to save the installation cost and do it myself. Like I said, it's worked flawlessly for almost a year until a few days ago. One thing I did notice when I opened up the machine today was that the boiler thermocouple supplied with the PID kit was able to be moved slightly on the thermal paste - I've since reattached it with some new paste but I haven't had a chance to try it out again. Maybe this could be the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by sched7 View Post
            Hi Mal,

I bought a Auber Instruments RSNSb kit from the same place I got the machine. I decided to save the installation cost and do it myself. Like I said, it's worked flawlessly for almost a year until a few days ago. One thing I did notice when I opened up the machine today was that the boiler thermocouple supplied with the PID kit was able to be moved slightly on the thermal paste - I've since reattached it with some new paste but I haven't had a chance to try it out again. Maybe this could be the cause.
            Not the steam switch then. You have an over temperature issue somewhere. PID t/c attachments good place to troubleshoot first.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to ask you before "Sched7"...

When you say above that the Power Circuit is Tripping, do you mean that the RCD/Earth Leakage protection is operating at the main Power/Metering panel for the house?

Mal.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to ask you before "Sched7"...

When you say above that the Power Circuit is Tripping, do you mean that the RCD/Earth Leakage protection is operating at the main Power/Metering panel for the house?

Mal.
                Yes - whole power circuit trips at the main board. Coffee machine then needs to be switched off before I can reset the switch at the board.

Comment

Rightio...

In that case, my first advice would be to contact a licensed electrician and have your machine checked as there could be a safety issue going on. It may simply be down to a terminal of the Steam Switch tracking to Earth which may require the replacement of this switch. It could also be anything else downstream of this switch, hence my recommendation to contact a Sparky...

Mal.

Comment

Rightio...

In that case, my first advice would be to contact a licensed electrician and have your machine checked as there could be a safety issue going on. It may simply be down to a terminal of the Steam Switch tracking to Earth which may require the replacement of this switch. It could also be anything else downstream of this switch, hence my recommendation to contact a Sparky...

Mal.
                    Good advice - Thanks Mal

Comment

Is it an over current circuit breaker or is it an RCD that's tripping? One is for protection against over current and the other is for protection against earth leakage. This my give you a hint of what fault to look for. However, a combined unit (RCD/MCB) will protect against both and you will be none the wiser...

Regards

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRay View Post
                        However, a combined unit (RCD/MCB) will protect against both and you will be none the wiser...
                        Hence, my advice to involve a licensed electrician. Gotta be safe...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRay View Post
                          Is it an over current circuit breaker or is it an RCD that's tripping? One is for protection against over current and the other is for protection against earth leakage. This my give you a hint of what fault to look for. However, a combined unit (RCD/MCB) will protect against both and you will be none the wiser...

Regards

Matt
                          It's an RCD that's tripping.

Comment

So I contacted Coffee-A-Roma (where I bought the machine from), and they seem to think it could be the element that needs replacing based on the info. I gave them.

Comment

Originally posted by sched7 View Post
                              So I contacted Coffee-A-Roma (where I bought the machine from), and they seem to think it could be the element that needs replacing based on the info. I gave them.
                              In my experience with small single boilers, it is often the heating element. Take it in for repairs it won't cost that much.

Comment

Working...
                              X