Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BDB Steam ball valve assy kit - BES900 or 920XL/09.6

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BDB Steam ball valve assy kit - BES900 or 920XL/09.6

    My BDB has worked great for the past four years but now has a small steam leak and I'd like to replace the ball valve assy and in fact ordered one from eReplacementParts.com in the US. However, I was just notified by them that this assy is on backorder with no ETA. Does anyone know where else I can get one?

  • #2
    I'm in the same boat. Ordered one from there and it now says Discontinued. I've contacted Forum Home Appliances in Vancouver, BC as they have this part listed on their site as "Special Order". Will let you know their response.

    Comment


    • #3
      BDB Steam ball valve assy kit - BES900 or 920XL/09.6

      Originally posted by mstrelan View Post
      I'm in the same boat. Ordered one from there and it now says Discontinued. I've contacted Forum Home Appliances in Vancouver, BC as they have this part listed on their site as "Special Order". Will let you know their response.
      Yeah, I feel as though it was a popular replacement part and therefore repair revenue was lost and the only recourse was to list it as discontinued. Now we have to send our machines back to the factory for something that was easily replaced at home. I don't mind sending my machine back EXCEPT that I was told by the Tech that my only recourse was to send it back and they would diagnose and repair. I could not tell them what I thought was wrong or ask them to replace certain parts that I know need replaced. This really burns my a$$.
      I can see a situation where I send it back, they charge me the $350, it comes back and some of the parts that need replaced, were not replaced. I really like the BDB but am now searching for a different replacement.

      Let me know what you find out.

      Comment


      • #4
        A refurbished BDB sold on "a popular auction site" this evening for $275. Would've been great for spares.

        Comment


        • #5
          BDB Steam ball valve assy kit - BES900 or 920XL/09.6

          Originally posted by mstrelan View Post
          A refurbished BDB sold on "a popular auction site" this evening for $275. Would've been great for spares.
          Though temping, it is somewhat risky as you never know what you're gonna get with a used machine. There's always a reason someone is willing to let it go. BTW, I did find the steam ball valve assy, one in NZ and one in Australia. Both companies were willing to sell it to me but you can imagine the cost for it to arrive at my door. Breville Australia is happy to sell it to me but they cannot ship it to me?!? I'd have to find a way to get it. The NZ company was called Need A Part (needapart.co.nz). Their supplier is an Australian company...Hmm, wonder who that might me :-) Cost was $84 NZ dollars and another 40 for shipping.

          Comment


          • #6
            Just saw your location was New York, otherwise I was going to say we could combine shipping

            Comment


            • #7
              FWIW my friend took apart the leaky ball valve assembly and replaced some part of it with a bigger o-ring than what was already in place. This seems to have worked perfectly for now.

              Comment


              • #8
                An update for anyone else who might have the same issue. I ended up calling Breville on 1300 139 798 who had no hesitation to sell me the parts I needed. $10 flat rate shipping. Ended up getting the Ball Valve Complete Kit, Bracket for Ball Valve, Holder for Ball Valve Assembly and Steam Dial Actuator for about $85.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Help disassembling the steam ball valve

                  Originally posted by mstrelan View Post
                  FWIW my friend took apart the leaky ball valve assembly and replaced some part of it with a bigger o-ring than what was already in place. This seems to have worked perfectly for now.
                  Sorry to be so late chiming in on this thread, but I'm trying to fix a leak in my machine (920XL), and I can't figure out how to take apart the ball valve (or even how to just remove it from where it is in the machine). Can anyone tell me how, or link me to directions? Thanks!

                  Jim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MarinJim View Post
                    Sorry to be so late chiming in on this thread, but I'm trying to fix a leak in my machine (920XL), and I can't figure out how to take apart the ball valve (or even how to just remove it from where it is in the machine). Can anyone tell me how, or link me to directions? Thanks!

                    Jim
                    Yep, bound to happen sooner or later.. .. its easy to get the ball valve assy out of the machine and with a couple wrenches, you can take the ball valve apart. You will need a medium and a small philips head screw driver, a small star screwdriver (even a small flat blade may take the star screws out), needle nose pliers and adjustable wrenches.

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	746756

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	746757

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	746758

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	746759

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	746760

                    The post only allows me to attach five pix, so the other two will be in my next post.

                    Martino

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here are the last two pix.. .. from start to finish, it shouldn't take more than 30 min to pull the valve out of the machine. From that point on, it depends on what you see wrong and what you want to do.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	746761

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	746762

                      Martino

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks so much, Martino. This was enormously helpful. The pictures are excellent. Where did you get that 2nd picture in your first post, with the cutaway view? (I assume you didn't cut your BDB in half!)

                        So, now I'm trying to decide whether to complete the tear down now -- without a replacement valve on hand -- or order the valve and wait (I can only seem to find one from an Australian company for $115 AUD -- about $90 USD). My leak appears to be coming from where the plastic on off lever connects to the body of the valve. Is there an o-ring there that I can replace (I was hoping it would be something like that)? If there's no replaceable seal, I'm worried about taking it apart until I have the replacement valve (we have coffee every morning right now -- albeit with a drip/leak -- and I don't want to jeopardize that). Let me know whether you think I can fix the leak, or if you would advise waiting until I have a replacement valve on hand.

                        Thanks again for the fast help and great pictures.

                        Jim

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hi Jim,
                          I realized when I went searching for my pix, that I hadn't taken them with the idea of helping others in mind :-( so I didn't have a couple that I thought would help you so I went fishing on the internet to find that cut away view.

                          Well, I take it your machine is leaking water inside, right? Mine wasn't, it was just dripping from the steam wand, which when positioned over the drip tray, who cares all that much. If yours is leaking inside the machine, that's a diff story, though there's not much going on under that valve, just a bunch of plastic. As to whether to tear it apart now or wait till parts are in hand, I would guess that depends on how much its leaking and whether you still use the machine, which you said you did.

                          If it were me, I would probably stuff a sponge or paper towels under the leak, leave the top cover unbolted so I could remove it when needed to replace the paper towels or squeeze out the sponge. This would allow me to continue using the machine till parts arrived.

                          Here's a Canadian replacement parts site to add to your collection of where to source parts from. I don't know where you live or if this site ships internationally. This link will take you to the steam ball valve for the 900XL. It appears to look just like the one in the 920. However, they seem to be out of stock right now!

                          https://www.forumappliances.com/breville-ball-valve-complete-kit-for-bes900xl/


                          I really don't remember if there's an o-ring in the area you asked about but my guess would be yes. BTW, I forgot to mention that in order to pull off the plastic steam lever, you first have to pull off the gray round cover, that is the one that you pull directly off, not the entire chromed lever. Once the gray round cover is off, you will see three small screws you will need to remove. See this pic.. ..

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	746764

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Great advice, all of it. I'm going to do exactly as you say. I called Forum Appliances and spoke to Tracy, who was very helpful. She double checked and found that they had two in stock, and I ordered one already. She updated the website, so if anyone else wants one for their "stock" for the BDB, there is one more there.

                            I was able to pry the plastic cap off the end of the steam lever (for those coming after, I stuck small flat head screwdrivers into the gaps on either side of there the steam lever goes into the middle of the cap, and pulled it right off).

                            I am doing exactly as you suggested (already had paper towels in there to catch the drip), and will just leave the cover off until early next week, when parts should be here. In the meantime, the wife and I will be happy to have our cappuccinos and lattes every day. I live for them.

                            Jim

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MarinJim View Post
                              Great advice, all of it. I'm going to do exactly as you say. I called Forum Appliances and spoke to Tracy, who was very helpful. She double checked and found that they had two in stock, and I ordered one already. She updated the website, so if anyone else wants one for their "stock" for the BDB, there is one more there.

                              I was able to pry the plastic cap off the end of the steam lever (for those coming after, I stuck small flat head screwdrivers into the gaps on either side of there the steam lever goes into the middle of the cap, and pulled it right off).

                              I am doing exactly as you suggested (already had paper towels in there to catch the drip), and will just leave the cover off until early next week, when parts should be here. In the meantime, the wife and I will be happy to have our cappuccinos and lattes every day. I live for them.

                              Jim

                              Great! Lucky you. So where are you located?

                              Here is the BES920XL parts breakdown.....you can see your steam ball valve is part 9.6 which I believe in Breville terms is BES920/09.6 and the one for the 900 was BES900/9.6. That valve gets a good workout for those who steam milk, like you and I do.

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	746765

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	746766

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X