Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help man!!!

Hi everyone
    Long time drinker (of coffee) , first time poster...
    I bought a 2nd hand silvia V3 about a year ago with a PID and I just cannot get a good shot out of it. I use fresshly roasted beans from my good friend Dave at "the grind" on the parade here in Adelaide. It has been serviced about six months ago.
    Pretty sure I am tamping ok, mucked aroung with gring settings on my rocky etc. My shots are OK at best, but no darkness of crema and lacking in flavour.
    My flashing light doesnt go off and my pid is set to 91...
    This isnt a small problem in my life as we are talking about coffee!!
    Perhaps I should post a video of my proceedure to make coffee.
    Any ideas from the info Ive given so far??
    Many thanks
    Dan

Dan,

Welcome to Coffeesnobs.

Try turning the temperature up to maybe 93 and see if that helps.

Barry

Comment

The PID on my Silvia displays 104/105 when steady (Auber PID)

How long and what volume are you doing your shots?

What sized basket are you using?

With an 18g basket I'm doing 2 x 30ml shots in about 30 seconds on mine. Beans I'm using are a nice dark roast from Kicco at about 2-3 weeks from roast date usually. Also using a rocky grinder (doser version in my case)

I'm in Adelaide too.

Comment

Use a set a scales so you get a consistent tamping pressure. A figure often used is 30lb/15kg of pressure. I use less but as long as it's consistent that is one less variable to worry about.

Define fresh? How long ago were there beans roasted. That can make a big difference.

Comment

Feel free to post a video, it'll help

Comment

Hi danbeck and welcome.

Fortunately there is a huge amount of good advice on Coffeesnobs to help you get the most out of your Silvia and this advice ranges from basic to as technical as you like.
            I also own a V3 with PID and echo Mentasm's sentiment. My PID is an Auberins and reads approx 10 degrees above water temperature as the reading is not taken from inside the boiler but on the outside. I am not familiar with all PIDs but generally for Silvia's this is how the temperature is measured and in turn regulated. I run my machine between 93 and 95 (somewhere around 102 - 105 on display) and am pleased with results, albeit personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by danbeck View Post
              my pid is set to 91...
              G'day Dan...

Does this Setpoint account for the temperature differential between the top of the Boiler and that of the water being delivered to the top of the Puck?

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by andybean View Post
                Hi danbeck and welcome.

Fortunately there is a huge amount of good advice on Coffeesnobs to help you get the most out of your Silvia and this advice ranges from basic to as technical as you like.
                I also own a V3 with PID and echo Mentasm's sentiment. My PID is an Auberins and reads approx 10 degrees above water temperature as the reading is not taken from inside the boiler but on the outside. I am not familiar with all PIDs but generally for Silvia's this is how the temperature is measured and in turn regulated. I run my machine between 93 and 95 (somewhere around 102 - 105 on display) and am pleased with results, albeit personal preference.
                What? The outside of your boiler is unlikely to be at a higher temperature than the inside (where the heat source is).

Presume you are actually talking about compensating for the temperature drop between the boiler and the group (per Dimal's post above)?

Comment

Hi MrJack.
                  Apologies, you would be spot on unless the Silvia defies principles of heat transfer.
                  The brain didn't keep up with the fingers on that one, thanks for correcting.

Comment

fwiw My PID on my silvia is set to 104

Comment

WOW
                      Im impressed with your knowledge.
                      So should I set the pid to 103? It sounds like the same pid as what you guys have.
                      One thing I notice on some youtube videos is that the flashing light is supposed to go off? Mine never does, even if I leave it warm up for 30 mins.
                      I think a video would be best to let you guys see properly.
                      My coffee is about 2 weeks old at the mo, but doesnt seem to make much diff to my shots. I want that nice dark crema ya know? My wife thinks Im crazy and obsessed.
                      Not sure what size my basket is. Its the bigger one? I like my coffee strong.
                      Sure am glad I sought help.

Comment

Try setting it at 103-105 somewhere. Then start timing and measuring your shots. Adjust your grind to try and get to 60ml in 30 seconds. See if taste improves. It may be that your beans need a slower extract to get a nice dark and strong taste. Tha means fiuner grind and longer pour, You'll just have to experiment a bit

Comment

Mmm, maybe upgrade to a used Breville double boiler. Amazing difference. It has excellent temperature stability, no more temperature surfing. You can steam the milk while making the espresso. I upgraded and wouldn't go back. It's hard not to make a great coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by danbeck View Post
                            WOW
                            One thing I notice on some youtube videos is that the flashing light is supposed to go off? Mine never does, even if I leave it warm up for 30 mins.
                            Not sure what size my basket is. Its the bigger one?...
                            Re: the light. It sounds like the light is connected to the incoming power rather than the output of the PID. It should go on solidly until the temp gets within, say 25 degrees of setpoint and then start flashing. Once it has reached setpoint it should have little pulses at 1 sec intervals. I think you have a wiring problem with the light

My Auber PID is set on 104 with no correcting offset.

Synesso, Precision, etc double baskets are around 24mm deep measuring from the top of the lip to the bottom outside of the basket. The standard Rancilio double is slightly smaller at around 22mm.

Gonzo

Comment

Originally posted by dlight View Post
                              Mmm, maybe upgrade to a used Breville double boiler. Amazing difference. It has excellent temperature stability, no more temperature surfing. You can steam the milk while making the espresso. I upgraded and wouldn't go back. It's hard not to make a great coffee.
                              (edit) In my opinion (edit) He should not go out and buy a Breville just because he's having issues learning his new machine.
                              I've come to learn that it takes a lot of practice with the Silvia to get things right. He just needs practice, doesn't need to fork out for a machine that masks deficiencies in his coffee making skills.

He even mentioned he has a PID, which regulates temperature. Are you a Breville marketer?
                              Last edited by Andy; 2 June 2016, 12:49 PM. Reason: please play nice

Comment

Working...
                              X