EM6910 2 different filter baskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tampit,

The problem has essentially completely stopped except for the odd grain. I think it was just everthing aligning at the time. Having a look it appears that there may be 1 or 2 holes that are slightly larger so will have a good look at which ones it's occurring to and see if it's the same holes over and over again.

The Sunbeam basket is tapered so cant get the tamper in that far but have used various multi tamp, skewer, leveling techniques and don't believe that to be the issue.

Will start another new coffee today so guess I will see if there is a issue then. Will try some of the ideas if I get any issues.

Cheers for your help
    Ed

Comment

Has anyone else had the problem of purchasing an aftermarket filter-basket to find that it sits higher in the portafilter and prevents you from being able to lock off the portafilter properly in the group-head collar?

I got myself a new VST filter basket to find I had this issue. Not sure how to resolve it. Modifying the portafilter means it'll be useless for the smaller filter basket that came with the machine. I'm not sure if I ditch the new VST basket or get a second portafilter that I can modify to accommodate it.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by cammo77 View Post
        Has anyone else had the problem of purchasing an aftermarket filter-basket to find that it sits higher in the portafilter and prevents you from being able to lock off the portafilter properly in the group-head collar?

I got myself a new VST filter basket to find I had this issue. Not sure how to resolve it. Modifying the portafilter means it'll be useless for the smaller filter basket that came with the machine. I'm not sure if I ditch the new VST basket or get a second portafilter that I can modify to accommodate it.

Thoughts?
        I have about 8 or 9 6910 portafilters, mostly brass (preferred by me) plus three stainless. One of my stainless ones is larger in diameter than the other two. No VST is a good fit in that P/f - as you described so clearly.

Where are you? If you are in WA you can borrow one of my spare 6910 p/fs - that they do fit properly.

TampIt
        PS: I have been using VSTs for every "non testing purpose" in my 6910s and 7000s for years. They are a big step up if your grinder can cope.

Comment

Originally posted by TampIt View Post
          I have about 8 or 9 6910 portafilters, mostly brass (preferred by me) plus three stainless. One of my stainless ones is larger in diameter than the other two. No VST is a good fit in that P/f - as you described so clearly.

Where are you? If you are in WA you can borrow one of my spare 6910 p/fs - that they do fit properly.

TampIt
          PS: I have been using VSTs for every "non testing purpose" in my 6910s and 7000s for years. They are a big step up if your grinder can cope.
          Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the country in Canberra. Appreciate the offer though. Besides, I need a perm solution. For the right price would you be willing to let go of one of your pf's that you know will fit a VST basket?

As far as I grinder goes, I've got a SB EM0440 that I've shimmed to get a finer grind. I seem to get a good fine grind about 1/2 way down the scale now.

Comment

Originally posted by cammo77 View Post
            Unfortunately I'm on the other side of the country in Canberra. Appreciate the offer though. Besides, I need a perm solution. For the right price would you be willing to let go of one of your pf's that you know will fit a VST basket?

As far as I grinder goes, I've got a SB EM0440 that I've shimmed to get a finer grind. I seem to get a good fine grind about 1/2 way down the scale now.
            G'day cammo77

Sorry 'bout the delay - been one hell of a busy week at my end.

Please advise me (via PM) where I can send one of my spare naked p/fs and I will check my shed out. Hopefully it will be a brass one (warms up a lot faster). Now that I am getting out of my SBs I have a lot of spares stored / have had a few friends "raid" my stash. Please let me know if you need any other bits.

FYI, I had 5 6910s and 1 7000 not that long ago, down to 1 6910 as of yesterday when another family member requested my last "spare" 6819 as his Silvia broke (again, leaking everywhere, again). So later this week I will be packing it up and I will be going through all my spares anyway so it is no extra effort at my end.

So I am down to using using my original 6910 as a milk frother / party machine and a DE1 (not high volume, will not froth and shoot at the same time) as my coffee toys nowadays.

TampIt

Comment

Hi guys, old thread resurgence once again. I am a long time owner of the EM6910 but now only recently getting into properly using it! (I service it along the way dont worry). Is there a recommendation to purchase 'better' baskets for the Sunbeam? I was reading this review and they mentioned replacing the basking with an Italian 58mm 14g basket made the coffee taste better. Commercial link removed as per Site Posting Policy

What are your thoughts and recommendations?
              Last edited by Javaphile; 20th May 2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Get a vst basket if you have a quality grinder

Comment

VST baskets are great, but they are expensive and a bit more unforgiving to use. They rely on you having a good grinder and some patience to get it all dialed in properly. Baskets make by IMS are another excellent option and are usually a little bit cheaper and easier to use. You can also pick them up branded as Pesado or Pullman. Baskets known as ‘Precision’ baskets are cheaper and easier again. I’m not sure that they’re much better than the stock Sumbeam ones which are actually pretty good as long as you’re using the single walled ones. If you do grab an aftermarket one my recommendation would be the 16-18g IMS basket.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                    X