Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Machine/Grinder combo recommendations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Machine/Grinder combo recommendations

    Hi guys
    Been floating around the forum for a while and read a great deal of stuff on here
    I currently have a Breville BES840 Infuser paired with a BGC820 Smart Grinder Pro I've had for about 3 years, and I'm currently toying with the idea of upgrading.
    I've done a few coffee courses and while I am not great, I am approaching my limit with texturing milk.
    What I am looking for is a machine and grinder combo I can replace my existing kit with, for a budget of around $2k.
    I am also looking for something that has a bit of colour to it as I am a fan of black or white appliances and do not really like the chrome ones all that much.
    I've been trawling various websites (mainly shops based here in Perth, but forum sponsors too) and haven't seen a lot.
    I've looked at a few nice ones, but they aren't exactly off-the-shelf...
    Thanks in advance!
    Andy

  • #2
    I did look at that, however the Mrs drinks decaf so having an upgraded grinder leaves my current one for decaf and saves my arms from hand grinding!
    Worth considering though.

    Comment


    • #3
      Oscar is available in red or black and I think the quamar grinders are available in a range of colours. Not sure if any sponsors stock both.

      If you're happy with black I reckon black Oscar and black m4d could scrape in. If it was me I'd want to mod the Oscar with an antivac valve though as I use a timer for the morning warm up

      Comment


      • #4
        I would be heading over to the for sale forum and buying the lelit dual boiler and k3 and getting it shipped over if I were you. Chrome be damned

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks guys. I did look at that Lelit one and that might be a goer too. If it's still around when I get around to buying (I generally research these things to death!) I'll look into it.

          Widening the choices, I also like the brushed steel as used in some of the SAB machines as well. I know EspressoWorks here in Perth stock them, but they're only open during the week so I haven't had chance to get up there.

          Comment


          • #6
            OK, next question:
            Lever vs. Pump machine.
            I'd like a consistent shot volume and to be honest, am a bit scared of the lever (I've never used one before...), so that might sway my decision somewhat, but I'm not sure there are any good pump-based machines in my price range. Or do I suck it up and buy a lever and learn how to play with that?

            Comment


            • #7
              no levers anywhere your price range so there's one less decision!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by brettreaby View Post
                no levers anywhere your price range so there's one less decision!
                Hmmmmmmmmmmm

                Click image for larger version

Name:	Fishing Cartoon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	742509

                Comment


                • #9
                  Machine/Grinder combo recommendations

                  Ok, question then: I'm looking at something similar to a Bezzera BZ10, is that a pump-based one?

                  Sorry for the stupid questions!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hello Andy - not stupid questions at all. The cartoon above was not aimed at you. It was because I suspect that Brett was angling for a bite with his statement about no levers in your price range.

                    It is true that most of the modern spring lever machines are in the "prosumer" category, and are outside your nominated budget. This includes the Bezzera Strega, which is a hybrid pump/lever which uses a pump to fill the cylinder when the lever is pulled down, then a spring & piston to push the hot water through the grounds as the lever gradually rises back up.

                    However, La Pavoni has a whole family of manual lever machines which use boiler pressure to fill the cylinder when the lever is raised, and human muscle power to depress the lever, forcing the water through the coffee. You could buy any of these, a Mcap M2M grinder and have change from $2K.

                    They do have a "learning curve" and are not the best for people just starting to get into espresso, but for someone who has been grinding his own beans, and making espresso for three years it would not take long or be at all scary. They do give a very consistent shot volume, but are limited to a fairly small double shot. They are mostly shiny chrome, no black or white, though there are some copper/brass models. So overall, they may not be what you are looking for.

                    The BZ10 and similar HX machines, mostly run a vibe pump, and fill from an internal water tank. Very similar in operation to what you are accustomed to using, but a step up in quality and longevity.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by deegee View Post
                      Hello Andy - not stupid questions at all. The cartoon above was not aimed at you. It was because I suspect that Brett was angling for a bite with his statement about no levers in your price range.

                      It is true that most of the modern spring lever machines are in the "prosumer" category, and are outside your nominated budget. This includes the Bezzera Strega, which is a hybrid pump/lever which uses a pump to fill the cylinder when the lever is pulled down, then a spring & piston to push the hot water through the grounds as the lever gradually rises back up.

                      However, La Pavoni has a whole family of manual lever machines which use boiler pressure to fill the cylinder when the lever is raised, and human muscle power to depress the lever, forcing the water through the coffee. You could buy any of these, a Mcap M2M grinder and have change from $2K.

                      They do have a "learning curve" and are not the best for people just starting to get into espresso, but for someone who has been grinding his own beans, and making espresso for three years it would not take long or be at all scary. They do give a very consistent shot volume, but are limited to a fairly small double shot. They are mostly shiny chrome, no black or white, though there are some copper/brass models. So overall, they may not be what you are looking for.

                      The BZ10 and similar HX machines, mostly run a vibe pump, and fill from an internal water tank. Very similar in operation to what you are accustomed to using, but a step up in quality and longevity.
                      Thanks for the explanation. I think my confusion has come from where I am currently looking at these coffee machines and seeing ones with a small lever (Lelit Mara for instance), whereas what I would like is something where I press a button and it doses a double shot (60mL) for me, which as far as I have read, the Bezzera BZ10 and ECM Casa would do.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hi Andy, I think the confusion came more from the word "lever vs pump" whereas it should have been a comparison between lever operated vs button because the small levers basically operate by pushing against a microswitch behind them when the lever is lifted up beyond a certain point.

                        I own and use a lever operated E61 machine and control the volume I extract using a scale to weigh the extraction so get consistency in the volume (weight) extracted between cups. This seems to work well at home and allows you to continue extracting longer or cut the extraction shorter based on how the extraction is looking (can save the extraction if something seems different to like an uneven extraction/roast freshness/grind settings).

                        I haven't had much experience playing with home machines with buttons, but my experience with the Breville DB is that it works well but can be inaccurate on the first shot since the machine was switched on. Once it's up and running though, it's super simple, grind, tamp, lock and extract - no flaffing around with scales for the next few extractions.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by woodenteapot View Post
                          Hi Andy, I think the confusion came more from the word "lever vs pump" whereas it should have been a comparison between lever operated vs button because the small levers basically operate by pushing against a microswitch behind them when the lever is lifted up beyond a certain point.

                          I own and use a lever operated E61 machine and control the volume I extract using a scale to weigh the extraction so get consistency in the volume (weight) extracted between cups. This seems to work well at home and allows you to continue extracting longer or cut the extraction shorter based on how the extraction is looking (can save the extraction if something seems different to like an uneven extraction/roast freshness/grind settings).

                          I haven't had much experience playing with home machines with buttons, but my experience with the Breville DB is that it works well but can be inaccurate on the first shot since the machine was switched on. Once it's up and running though, it's super simple, grind, tamp, lock and extract - no flaffing around with scales for the next few extractions.
                          Thats exactly what I was trying to explain, thanks for that! I blame my noviceness...

                          My Breville one isn't too bad, but it's a basic machine and I'm generally only doing one caffeinated coffee at a time as the wife drinks decaf. While I don't mind weighing with scales, doing it every time isn't my idea of fun at this stage, hence I'm looking for something with a shot button.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ok, I took the day off work today and went round a few places and had a look at some machines. Managed to get out and have a look last week as well, mainly at the Bezzera BZ10 which I was interested in.
                            Went and had a look at the SAB Nobel and in the flesh it was exactly what I was after in style and colour. I really wasn't all that keen on the polished traditional machines after seeing a few of them.
                            I got a good deal on the machine, a Eureka grinder and a few accessories. It's sat in the car while I wait to pick up the wife. I'm excited.
                            Pics to come later!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
                              Congrats - enjoy your new toys
                              And thanks for all of your help and advice over the last few days!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X