Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie looking for help with Breville Dual Boiler (BEP920)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie looking for help with Breville Dual Boiler (BEP920)

Hi everyone,

In early Feb I bought the dynamic duo pack and have never been able to get it quite right. I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting and have even taken the machine to be looked at, only to be told there is nothing wrong with it. I'm at a bit of a loss now.

Here is a video which details the trouble I have had. It's long (16 mins) sorry.

https://youtu.be/ss-MUvaih6k

The first half of the video is just me explaining what I have attempted. Skip to 8:24 if you would like to see me demonstrating what I believe is the issue.

(I left out an important part: here is me pulling 2 more shots, one with 22grams and one with 25 grams)
    https://youtu.be/xotBr-ZWkTU

So, am I doing something wrong? Are all machines in this price range this temperamental?
    Any help would be great.
    thanks.

Edits to answer some FAQs:
    People have asked about beans: I have only ever used fresh whole beans from reputable cafes and roasters (Elixir, White Horse, Wolff, Black Sheep, Campos). Always well within a month of roasting. More often than not i'd say within a week or two.
    Last edited by meetle; 18 March 2019, 10:07 AM.

Also, if you don't want to watch the video, feel free to just ask me questions. I will edit the OP later but I gotta run to work now.

Comment

I have also just realised that I didn't show two extractions so I'll post another video here once it's done uploading to youtube. But to summarise it: I show a 22 gram pull which results in an overflowing cup. and a 25 gram pull, which works great!

Comment

You don't give any details of what coffee you're using. You are massively overdosing which you should not need to do and it looks like your problem is as simple as stale beans. You must use fresh beans, can't emphasis that enough.

Comment

I agree with both points raised above - too much coffee, and likely stale beans. I also have this machine, and it is not temperamental at all. It does what it does - any changes in shot are caused by beans, grind setting, dose and tamp (all controlled by the user).

Comment

Agree with Erimus's initial thoughts. Looks like way too much coffee in the basket, evidenced by excessive tamper pressure and inability to lock the PF in without excessive force which are symptomatic of poor beans or grinding (all other things being OK of course). Zero experience with the espresso machine but I do have a smart grinder which needed shimming before I could get it to grind fine enough for espresso (on a Domus Galatea and R58). The majority of us here will ask you about the freshness of your beans first. Good Luck meetle. You will get there. Didnt watch the whole video so you may have already answered this, but how did the coffee taste?

Comment

Originally posted by Erimus View Post
              You don't give any details of what coffee you're using. You are massively overdosing which you should not need to do and it looks like your problem is as simple as stale beans. You must use fresh beans, can't emphasis that enough.
              Hi erimus, thanks for your time to respond! I understand not everyone has the time to watch, but most of the detail is in the first video. At 15:10 i talk about beans, but to summarise, I have only ever used fresh beans bought from extremely reputable cafes/roasters. I can say with 99% confidence it is not a bean issue.

Comment

Originally posted by noonar View Post
                Didnt watch the whole video so you may have already answered this, but how did the coffee taste?
                Hi noonar, thanks for replying. When using 25 grams, the coffee tastes good. see this video for that extraction https://youtu.be/xotBr-ZWkTU

As for grind size, check out 15:45 (https://youtu.be/ss-MUvaih6k?t=945) in the first video. Does that look right? (not sure if you can tell from the video).

Comment

Originally posted by Andywg View Post
                  I agree with both points raised above - too much coffee, and likely stale beans. I also have this machine, and it is not temperamental at all. It does what it does - any changes in shot are caused by beans, grind setting, dose and tamp (all controlled by the user).
                  hi andy, thanks for replying.

I agree with everything you have said. Its not the beans (see above) so I am left with the following options: The grind size is wrong (even though I have tried on the absolute MINIMUM the Smart Grinder can go, see https://youtu.be/ss-MUvaih6k?t=850)

Comment

Hi Meetle

A few points
                    The acidic taste you refer to in the vid with a fast shot is an astringent taste and yes it’s not nice ��
                    Beans are obviously ok as refered to in the video.
                    The dose is massive, but the machine sounds to be doing it’s job ok. You state that you can not grind any finer so I will suggest it’s a grinder issue. The dosing guide from breville would be a good ball park to start in. The breville basket I’d say is about 20g by looking at it. The VST basket is a much better basket, but also requires a finer grind than most other baskets. It also is probably too deep for your group handle. I’d be surprised if the depth of it doesn’t bottom out.

A large dose will put upward pressure on the shower screen and in some cases causes channeling as water is lazy and looks for an easy way through. The tamp level supplied from breville also looks correct.

I strongly suggest that it’s a grinder issue, you can’t grind fine enough.
                    Can you borrow another grinder from someone and try it with your espresso machine?

Comment

Who did you do the course at Wolff with? Not Josh by any chance

Comment

I would agree with Ronin, looking like a grinder problem. Just make sure you're getting the correct pressure
                        through the machine. Put the rubber cleaning disc in and you should be getting around 9.5 bar on the gauge.
                        The optimum dose on the BES920 is usually between 19 to 21 grams depending on beans and grind.

Comment

I agree that it's probably a grinder problem. In the 22g vs 25g video, the grinds look a bit coarse to me, and the 22g shot is a bit of a gusher. So I suspect that you are having to over-dose the basket to compensate. If you could grind finer, you should be able to reduce the dose and still get a good extraction. Have a look at this thread : https://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-c...-pressure.html

Comment

If you have the smart grinder have you took the burrs out and moved them round to get a finer grind ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin View Post
                              Who did you do the course at Wolff with? Not Josh by any chance
                              Yep it was josh! He's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X