Sunbeam Cafe Series EM6910 Espresso Machine + EM0480 Grinder replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam Cafe Series EM6910 Espresso Machine + EM0480 Grinder replacement

So my setup must be close to 10 years old. All credit to Sunbeam (at least at that time) - everything still works enough for our daily fix.

Problems:
    * steam wand sometimes wants to steam when turned off; steam wand relay disables if past a certain point and it feels like it
    * seal is going
    * grinder (ages ago) lost the plastic top that controls the weight of the beans into it

Satisfaction:
    * Sunbeam Coffee School: this changed my life but no longer exists
    * I like being able to split the milk and pour the coffee at the same time but I generally make one coffee first and then split the milk whilst making the second anyway. Latte art results are best when making a single coffee and its milk at the same time.
    * I'm in trouble if I don't sort my wife's latte each morning

Productivity:
    * 2 coffees a day minimum. The average wouldn't be much higher. It gets carried to family occasions such as Easter and Christmas to much applaud.

Budget:
    Well maybe I'm in the wrong forum, but for my usage, I'm leaning towards the EM4300, whilst keeping the existing grinder. Machine + Combo budget can get up to $1k, however I'm not convinced on the longevity of Breville and as much as my wife and I would like to save kitchen space, I see bad reviews of the combo machine/grinders here. I don't want to be paying for extended warranties.

Conclusion:
    Convince me otherwise (or not!). Tell me to replace my seal and fix my steam pump relay somehow?

I reckon the 4300 is a massive step downwards.

If you were in the West I would PM you the repairer details for sorting 6910s out and not bother with a new machine. I have a 2007 and a 2008 6910 in perfect nick, a 7000 (not an improvement except in noise level - much quieter - and "semi auto milk frothing" for better or worse), and very recently a Decent DE1 (way out of your budget as an upgrade, however it is a huge improvement as well).

Grinder - I upgraded my 480 in 2013 to a Mahlkoenig Vario - Swiss made and so good I bought two more...

Hope this helps.

TampIt

Comment

The EM4300 is rubbish. If you want to stick with Sunbeam either get a new EM6910 or an EM7000. I’d probably lean towards the EM7000 for your type of usage. The other option would be a Breville BES920 if you can pick one up at a sale at HN, BL or TGG.

Comment

What's your location petruk?

Comment

Goodguys just had a runout on 6910s, was 1 left in Geraldton...

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
            What's your location petruk?
            Melbourne.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
              The EM4300 is rubbish. If you want to stick with Sunbeam either get a new EM6910 or an EM7000. I’d probably lean towards the EM7000 for your type of usage. The other option would be a Breville BES920 if you can pick one up at a sale at HN, BL or TGG.
              The problem here is that Choice doesn't give the EM7000 the thumbs up. I've tried to do a quick search here but cannot understand the disparity between Choice and the opinions here.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by petruk View Post
                The problem here is that Choice doesn't give the EM7000 the thumbs up. I've tried to do a quick search here but cannot understand the disparity between Choice and the opinions here.

Any thoughts?
                Yes. Choice are clueless when it comes to stuff like this and I would ignore them.

Comment

Having been in the same sitch with my trusty Sunbeam eventually showing its age, I would go either a Breville BES920 and smart grinder, or as I did go for a Lelit and matching grinder (or combi), easy enough to get second hand relatively new within your budget.

Comment

Working...
                  X