No announcement yet.

EM6910 not heating up/double shot light only working when machine is turned on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 not heating up/double shot light only working when machine is turned on

Hey people. When turn the machine on it doesn't warm up, and the only light working is the double shot one. I had to unplug it at the wall to turn it off. Can anyone give any suggestions as to what might be the problem? Tried a factory reset just in case that helped, but still only the double shot light worked

Edit: I just tried turning it on again, and the power button flashed and it heated up, only once it had it started running/water came out of the group head automatically. I had to turn it off at the wall to stop it, and when I tried to turn it on again it went back to just the double shot light only again.
    Last edited by Karyn; 28 May 2019, 09:54 AM. Reason: Adding new information

Hi Karyn

Going by the symptoms you described it sounds like you may have got water inside on the control board.
    This sometimes happens when water splashes over the side of the tank while filling or from an internal leak.
    You could try leaving it in a warm, dry place for a day or two to dry out and then try it again.
    If this does not work you may have to get it repaired, but this could cost more that the machine is worth - depends on its age and condition.

Trev

Comment

Blown pump triac... At least.
      Still a far better machine than a pod fantastic when working.

50c part, $100 repair.
      Still, as my mate just told me, you pay for the expertise, not the repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanthine View Post
        Hi Karyn

Going by the symptoms you described it sounds like you may have got water inside on the control board.
        This sometimes happens when water splashes over the side of the tank while filling or from an internal leak.
        You could try leaving it in a warm, dry place for a day or two to dry out and then try it again.
        If this does not work you may have to get it repaired, but this could cost more that the machine is worth - depends on its age and condition.

Trev
        Hi Trev

Thanks, that's very possible, I have to admit that sometimes the water doesn't all go IN the tank when filling it up. It started working again for a bit but when it was running the lights were sometimes flickering and flashing on/off. Now when turned on the power button flashes and it warms up, but never gets to ready, with all the lights on. Will try your suggestion and update you.

It's six years old now, so we're wondering the same thing, but we recently did the collar replacement and replaced the seal so not too keen to just chuck it, but if it's really not worth getting fixed I guess that's what we'll do.

Karyn

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
          Blown pump triac... At least.
          Still a far better machine than a pod fantastic when working.

50c part, $100 repair.
          Still, as my mate just told me, you pay for the expertise, not the repair.
          Bit of a rookie here, so not sure what a pump triac is - will do some research. Yes, it's been a great machine, but I have a feeling it's on its way out

Comment

Best bet on all tank machines is to remove tank to fill it. And remove tank and replace it with machine turned off.

Hard to feel sympathy if you dont

The triac is the transistor (switch) that turns the pump on and off. Often it fails in the on position, meaning as soon as you power the machine up, it powers the pump up.

Comment

Well worth the effort in fixing it. And if as said above it is only a triac, all will be well. As for chucking it, I'll put my 2c worth here, happy for you to chuck it my way.
              However, what would you get instead, maybe an Em7000, I have one, as well as an EM 6910. You would probably like that it makes less noise, it does not make better coffee, and has a silly temperature sensor in the steam wand. It does not read that accurately according to my milk thermometer.

So if it was me, and I was "forced" to send it to a repair place and spend $100.00 on it, compared with spending nearly $1000.00 on a 7000, I would fix my old one.

As I have said elsewhere, when I got my original EM6910 it had done around 7000 shots, I put at least another 3000 on it before I gave it to my daughter.
              It is still going fine.

Now there is a real good guy on here, who knows everything there is to know about repairing these machines.
              For the moment I forget his name, not Tampit or Journeyman, I will try and find out who it is.
              I know I have read his posts before.

Comment

Karyn, I had success in fixing my machine some years ago by taking the covers off and directing a heat lamp at the board for half an hour. Machine never failed again. (Because I filled it very carefully)!

Comment

Originally posted by alexm1 View Post
                  Karyn, I had success in fixing my machine some years ago by taking the covers off and directing a heat lamp at the board for half an hour. Machine never failed again. (Because I filled it very carefully)!
                  That sounds like excellent advice.

Karyn you should definitely try some active drying of the control board before you try anything else. If that doesn’t work then a new triac or even a whole control board is still cheaper than a new machine. It’s potentially a DIY job, but there’s a couple of good repairers in NZ depending where you’re based.

Comment

^if you can solder... Even a board replacement needs soldering.

Comment

Best bet on all tank machines is to remove tank to fill it. And remove tank and replace it with machine turned off.

Hmm, I never have removed the tank to fill it, in 10 years!

Comment

And now you are here with us....

Comment

I've wondered about the sense of pouring water in from the top, above electricals, but figured if they designed it that way surely it wouldn't be a problem.
                          It seems not to be doing the automatic running thing now - it doesn't seem to be getting up to temperature, power light just keeps flashing and machine isn't feeling as warm as it should when operating properly.

The triac is the transistor (switch) that turns the pump on and off. Often it fails in the on position, meaning as soon as you power the machine up, it powers the pump up.

Comment

Originally posted by rawill View Post
                            Well worth the effort in fixing it. And if as said above it is only a triac, all will be well. As for chucking it, I'll put my second crack worth here, happy for you to chuck it my way.
                            However, what would you get instead, maybe an Em7000, I have one, as well as an EM 6910. You would probably like that it makes less noise, it does not make better coffee, and has a silly temperature sensor in the steam wand. It does not read that accurately according to my milk thermometer.

So if it was me, and I was "forced" to send it to a repair place and spend $100.00 on it, compared with spending nearly $1000.00 on a 7000, I would fix my old one.

As I have said elsewhere, when I got my original EM6910 it had done around 7000 shots, I put at least another 3000 on it before I gave it to my daughter.
                            It is still going fine.

Now there is a real good guy on here, who knows everything there is to know about repairing these machines.
                            For the moment I forget his name, not Tampit or Journeyman, I will try and find out who it is.
                            I know I have read his posts before.
                            You've talked me into fixing it - although it didn't take much convincing. I don't mind spending a bit on parts/repairs
                            I'd say this machine has done around 10,000 cups too, but has recently been making some of the best coffee I've had out of it, until the last week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by alexm1 View Post
                              Oh that's great. We don't have a heat lamp, but with 4 degrees here tonight the fire is cranking so the machine's now sitting beside it, just far away enough that the plastic bits don't melt. Will leave it there overnight and try it again tomorrow. Yes, I think we'll be filling much more carefully in future too!

Comment

Working...
                              X