No announcement yet.

BES878 - Breville "the Barista Pro" Owners Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like stale grounds/beans in the first shot with fresh in the 2nd.

Java "Was the grinder purged after the last use?" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Good Morning Guys

I been told the best coffee is around 18-22 gr for a double shot and 25-30 secs pour, I am finding it hard to get to this point. at the moment I am at grind 8 with 14.5 seconds and it is pouring around 16grs and under 23secs. HELP!! Who has a bullet proof settings

Comment

18 grams is the optimum weight for a double basket of the 878's size, 22 grams is over dosing. You need to grind finer.

Comment

Hi Barista Pro owners,

We have this model in the UK labelled as "Sage". Has anyone had any joy with the programmed espresso shot?

You are supposed to select custom single or double cup and hold down the button for pre-infuse and release for extraction.
          Once you hit the desired amount you press the cup button to stop.

However, this doesn't seem to be the case as the pressing and holding the cup button goes straight to "shot".

Phoned Sage who only had the Breville model and could not get it to pre-infuse and only replicate what I was finding.

Anyone had any success? What am I doing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LtEricko View Post
            Good Morning Guys

I been told the best coffee is around 18-22 gr for a double shot and 25-30 secs pour, I am finding it hard to get to this point. at the moment I am at grind 8 with 14.5 seconds and it is pouring around 16grs and under 23secs. HELP!! Who has a bullet proof settings
            Unfortunately there is no bulletproof setting for any grinder.
            Grind setting will vary with the type of beans, their post-roast age, humidity...and from hour to hour in any given day.

18 grams to extract 25 or so to 35 or so grams of brew in 25 to 35 seconds is a ballpark figure.

If you are getting gushers and the beans aren't stale supermarket ones you'll have to grind finer.

If the burrs are still one setting from touching each other and the beans are beyond reproach ---and the coffee is unacceptable to your taste....a commercial style grinder may be the only option.

Comment

Hey guys, have had this machine for around 2 weeks now..

What’s everyone’s routine getting the portafilter up to temp? Do you flush some water through a few times or is there any other good techniques you could share?

I’ve had other machines in the past (single boilers, HX and double boilers) and simply leaving the portafilter locked in for a desired amount of time did the trick. With this machine, I’ve left it in for around 20 minutes with no affect..

Is this normal?

Cheers,

Jack J.

Comment

Originally posted by tampinator View Post
                Hey guys, have had this machine for around 2 weeks now..

What’s everyone’s routine getting the portafilter up to temp? Do you flush some water through a few times or is there any other good techniques you could share?

I’ve had other machines in the past (single boilers, HX and double boilers) and simply leaving the portafilter locked in for a desired amount of time did the trick. With this machine, I’ve left it in for around 20 minutes with no affect..

Is this normal?

Cheers,

Jack J.
                Hi Jack,

I'm usually doing a coffee run first thing in the morning as I'm get ready for work.
                I start the machine run a single cup with an empty portafilter in place. After a run it kind of holds the water in place so when I revisit a couple of mins later it's warm too touch.
                When I remove it the water drains out and I prep it ready for the grind.

Hope that helps.

p.s have you seen my post above? When your more familiar with the machine see what happens when you try to run a programmed espresso shot.

Comment

Originally posted by UKBarista View Post
                  Hi Barista Pro owners,

We have this model in the UK labelled as "Sage". Has anyone had any joy with the programmed espresso shot?

You are supposed to select custom single or double cup and hold down the button for pre-infuse and release for extraction.
                  Once you hit the desired amount you press the cup button to stop.

However, this doesn't seem to be the case as the pressing and holding the cup button goes straight to "shot".

Phoned Sage who only had the Breville model and could not get it to pre-infuse and only replicate what I was finding.

Anyone had any success? What am I doing wrong.
                  Hi UKbarista, I gave it a shot today and it worked fine. I held my finger down on single shot button until I was happy with my preinfusion time, then take my finger off and it’ll go straight to full pressure. Once I’m happy with the overall amount of coffee being poured out I pressed the button again to turn it off.

Hope this helps..

Comment

Hi UKbarista, I gave it a shot today and it worked fine. I held my finger down on single shot button until I was happy with my preinfusion time, then take my finger off and it’ll go straight to full pressure. Once I’m happy with the overall amount of coffee being poured out I pressed the button again to turn it off.

Hope this helps..
                    So the issue was me interpreting the instructions.

So the pre-program does work by selecting the custom button. Holding the button to pre-infuse and releasing for extraction with one additional press to stop.
                    Whilst doing this you will not see the screen say anything other than shot and this is where I thought it wasn't working.

Once the cycle is complete it will go back to normal.
                    From this point on when you press the cup button it will not use the default mode but will follow your custom setting.

Top Tip :

If like me you are using the two cup basket all the time leave this one as factory default pre-programmed option.
                    Instead set the 1 cup as the custom with your desired pre-infusion time and extraction.
                    I have set custom 1 cup to 10sec pre-infuse and 30 second extraction. I can override the stop whenever I want by button press.
                    Hope this helps if anyone in the future comes across this post.

Comment

Are folks still happy with their Barista Pros? Considering buying one...

Comment

Originally posted by rtyuiop View Post
                        Are folks still happy with their Barista Pros? Considering buying one...
                        Hey bud, I’m happy with mine so far.. only problem I have which was really an oversight on my behalf when purchasing the machine is that it doesn’t have a pressure gauge to determine whether you’re hitting 9bars or pressure while brewing..
                        instead, you’ll have to go off length of pour, volume in the cup and colour of the espresso.

On the plus side it did make me use my taste buds more when judging if it’s a good dial in rather then going off numbers (like pressure etc).

Comment

Hey bud, I’m happy with mine so far.. only problem I have which was really an oversight on my behalf when purchasing the machine is that it doesn’t have a pressure gauge to determine whether you’re hitting 9bars or pressure while brewing..
                          instead, you’ll have to go off length of pour, volume in the cup and colour of the espresso.

On the plus side it did make me use my taste buds more when judging if it’s a good dial in rather then going off numbers (like pressure etc).
                          Noted - thanks!

Yeah, I saw some other folks (in a review I think) complain about the lack of pressure gauge, but it does seem like a solvable problem. I am a complete beginner when it comes to real coffee machines so may struggle, though...

Danny

Comment

Hi,

I just got this machine & my pre-infusion time is always 6 - 7 secs...I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I notice at 20gm I can barely tamp it below the rim - its that full & dense. For me to get a proper tamp for a double shot, i need about 16 - 17gm which is below the recommended range.

At least with the Barista Express you can see the pre-infusion pressure, but with the pro everything is in seconds which is odd & hard to gauge.

Any advise on how to pull a proper shot?

Not sure if i read the manual right but how do I custom set the pre-infusion to 9 sec?

Comment

Originally posted by titanax View Post
                              Hi,

I just got this machine & my pre-infusion time is always 6 - 7 secs...I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I notice at 20gm I can barely tamp it below the rim - its that full & dense. For me to get a proper tamp for a double shot, i need about 16 - 17gm which is below the recommended range.

At least with the Barista Express you can see the pre-infusion pressure, but with the pro everything is in seconds which is odd & hard to gauge.

Any advise on how to pull a proper shot?

Not sure if i read the manual right but how do I custom set the pre-infusion to 9 sec?

What does the resulting coffee taste like? You seem very keen to measure seconds and grams. Are you using freshly roasted freshly ground coffee?

Comment

It sounds like your coffee needs to be grounds finer titanx

Comment

Working...
                                X