Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamilton44
    replied
    Okay, a further update now. Almost that one month mark.

so far I love it. Consistent shots, good steamer, easy to clean and looks great. I sort of regret not buying the stainless steel version because the white isn’t the best quality. The corner of the drip tray where I sometimes rest my milk jug when steaming is scratched and probably will start to peel soon.

I have already contacted Breville and they are going to send out a new one. The after care service has been good so far.

Leave a comment:

• Hamilton44
    replied
    I’ve now had this machine for 10 days and so far loving it.

This is my first machine at home, and therefore it is a massive upgrade from instant coffee.

I have purchased some fresh beans from a local toaster as well as the highly regarded Aldi Lazzio beans. I’m aiming for 18g in and 36-38g our for both in 25-32 seconds. Once I gain some more experience I will try a longer extractions.

machine looks great on the kitchen bench (sea salt colour).

Leave a comment:

• mattyu2
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you! I actually ended up getting the 920 for a similar price. As I mentioned I've had it previously and thought it made a bloody good coffee so happy to give it a spin again. Thanks for all your help

• Javaphile
    replied
    Hhhmmmm....I answered for a 920 but it seems he was asking for the 878, in which case I defer to level3ninja as I've never used the 878.

Java "Perhaps more sleep is in order..." phile

Leave a comment:

• level3ninja
    replied
    Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
    You can brew and steam at the same time.

Java "Zero seconds" phile
    The BES878 only has one thermocoil, which they call a ThermoJet due to it's apparently being up to temperature in 3 seconds. They also say that due to this the switch between brewing and steaming is "instantaneous" according to their website.

Leave a comment:

• Javaphile
    replied
    You can brew and steam at the same time.

Java "Zero seconds" phile

Leave a comment:

• mattyu2
    replied
    Hi All, great thread, thanks for everyone's help. I have a quick question. I'm tossing up between this and the BES920. I have had the 920 previously so know it's nuances. I don't think I have a specific need for a dual boiler at this point as I extract two double's each time I brew. Can you please tell me how long the heat up time is inbetween extracting a shot then steaming milk? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• silentsim
    replied
    Originally posted by ppops View Post

I'm having the exact same problems. Can you please help me too?
    Cheers.
    Same issue here. Was there some advice?

Leave a comment:

• roosterben
    replied
    Sounds like you need to grind finer and if you can't you may have to calibrate your grinder as per your manual. Single baskets are harder to dial in and more finicky than doubles.

Leave a comment:

• Teitzy
    replied
    I think 15-20 seconds is normal for a single shot on this machine. Seven grams sounds way under what you need. Single basket should hold about 12 grams. If you can tell us what your grinder settings are and the weight of your grind that would be helpful. Another thing you can do is use the double basket and see what kind of extraction/taste you get from that.

Cheers
    Leigh

Leave a comment:

• branik80
    replied
    Hello, I just bought this machine (called SAGE in europe) and I spent some time to figure out what I can do with that. I am absolute beginner, so sorry for dummy questions. My goal is - to be able prepare a SINGLE SHOT espresso, 30ml with nice crema, and I would expect the preparation time around 20-25 seconds (as all barista manual says is correct). Now reality is - I am absolutely not able to do that. Extraction always finished after around 11-14 seconds, hardly 20ml espresso, with poor crema, and mostly very concentrated taste. If I tried manual mode and keep extraction longer, it was just a terrible result, no crema.
    Please, is anybody doing single shots, resulting in 30 ml espresso? What exactly is your settings or where should I begin? I wasted so much coffe in 2 days... with not good result
    Maybe another question - italian espresso should by only 7 grams of coffee. So is it even possible, or do they really extract it for 20-25 seconds?
    Many thanks

Leave a comment:

• ppops
    replied
    Originally posted by tampinator View Post

Hey mate, I’ll PM you so we don’t hijack the post.
    I'm having the exact same problems. Can you please help me too?
    Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Teitzy
    replied
    Got the replacement machine yesterday. Breville customer service was very good, so kudos to them.

The grinder settings on the replacement machine are completely different to the old one. Was running top burr at 1 and grinder setting at 13 for a 25 sec extraction. Set up the new machine with the same settings & the same beans and the grinder was really labouring & coffee would not run under normal extraction. Currently running the top burr at 3 and grinder setting on 20 which is giving me the equivalent 25 sec extraction. I suspect the top burr at 5-6 would be equivalent to 1 on the old machine which is a pretty significant difference.

Leave a comment:

• tampinator
    replied
    Originally posted by leophamkhac2904 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I follow exactly the steps as you described, but my machine does not beep nor making any beeping sound. So I am wondering if I have missed something to get the machine to remember my custom settings
    Hey mate, I’ll PM you so we don’t hijack the post.

Leave a comment:

• leophamkhac2904
    replied
    Originally posted by tampinator View Post
    Hey mate, I no longer have this machine but if my memory serves me well, holding the finger on the 1 or 2 cup button to go into manual mode won’t make this a preset. To do that, you’ll need to go through the menu first, select either 1 or 2 cup (whichever button you’d like to preset), then hold down on the button until you’ve reached your desired Pre-infusion time, take finger off to go into full pump and then press the button when you want it to switch off (it should them beep). once this is all done, as long as you’re grinding the same coffee beans and at the same grind size (I.e. fine or coarse) then it’ll bring out the same result in the cup.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the reply. I follow exactly the steps as you described, but my machine does not beep nor making any beeping sound. So I am wondering if I have missed something to get the machine to remember my custom settings

Leave a comment:

Working...
X