Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with cleaning the Breville BES860

Hi everyone,

I hope I have posted this question in the correct place. I have only recently started using a coffee machine for the first time.

I recently picked up the Breville BES860 for $50. Unfortunately it didn't come with a cleaning disc and the cleaning light has just turned on.

I have a few questions about cleaning the machine:
    1. Do I need to buy a rubber cleaning disc or just a blind back flush filter?
    2. Are there any advantages with buying the rubber cleaning disc over the blind back flush filter?
    3. What is the cheapest way to clean the machine? (I've seen the Cafetto S15 Cleaning tablets for $20 for a 60 pack on eBay) Is there a cheaper/better alternative?
    4. What else should I be cleaning regularly on the machine? (I clean the filters, steam wand, portafilter, water catchment, grinder regularly)
    5. Have I forgotten anything else about cleaning this machine?

Thank you in advance,
    Cameron

If you can find a 54mm blind filter I'd be impressed, I've seen 53, 55, and 58 but have never find a 54. The main difference would be the hole in the rubber disc that allows done pressure to escape. The 860/870 don't have an OPV (over pressure valve) so if you restrict flow too much for too long and you'll trip the thermal cutout on the pump. Do that too many times and you'll kill the pump. If you're using the rubber disc with the hole from memory the Cafetto powder doesn't really work as it disappears too quickly so you need to use the tablets, the large packs of them are the cheapest way. Remember to remove the water tank and clean out regularly with warm soapy water (then rinse thoroughly. How often depends on your water, if it's slimy to touch it's too long.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
      If you can find a 54mm blind filter I'd be impressed, I've seen 53, 55, and 58 but have never find a 54. The main difference would be the hole in the rubber disc that allows done pressure to escape. The 860/870 don't have an OPV (over pressure valve) so if you restrict flow too much for too long and you'll trip the thermal cutout on the pump. Do that too many times and you'll kill the pump. If you're using the rubber disc with the hole from memory the Cafetto powder doesn't really work as it disappears too quickly so you need to use the tablets, the large packs of them are the cheapest way. Remember to remove the water tank and clean out regularly with warm soapy water (then rinse thoroughly. How often depends on your water, if it's slimy to touch it's too long.
      Thank you for the reply.

Ok so the rubber cleaning disc is probably the safest option using the cleaning tablets.
      Does the Breville 860 need to be descaled also?
      Would the Cafetto S15 cleaning tablets also work with descaling the Delonghi Magnifica ESAM3000?

Ok so do you test the water in the water tank after it has been sitting for a while?
      Last edited by C4M19; 6 October 2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Everything needs descaling if you feed it tap water. S15 tablets do not descale, they only clean away the coffee oils etc. Change out the water in the tank weekly when you run the cleaning cycle. When you tip out the tank feel the inside of the tank and check if it feels slimy, if yes you need to change it out more often.

Comment

Everything needs descaling if you feed it tap water. S15 tablets do not descale, they only clean away the coffee oils etc. Change out the water in the tank weekly when you run the cleaning cycle. When you tip out the tank feel the inside of the tank and check if it feels slimy, if yes you need to change it out more often.
          Ok thank you. I just bought a bunch of Urnex Dezcal to descale both my machines.

Would the S15 Tablets be suitable for the Delonghi Magnifica ESAM3000 to help clean away the coffee oils inside the machine? Would I just put a tablet in the water reservoir and let it dissolve and just run a cleaning cycle and also run a few normal espresso cycles without any coffee beans in the machine?

Thank you for all the help also. I'm new to using coffee machines and really appreciate all the help.

Comment

No do not do that. I have never cleaned a full-auto machine but I would always follow the user manual for cleaning. This is an excerpt from the manual I found on an American website, so I don't know how accurate it is (it says to never use detergents)

10.2 CLEANING THE INFUSER
            The infuser must be cleaned regularly to prevent it from filling with coffee deposits (that may lead to malfunctions). To clean it, proceed as follows:
            • turn the machine off by pressing the button (Fig. 4) (do not
            unplug it) and wait for all the indicator lights to go off;
            • open the service door (Fig. 15);
            • remove the drip tray and the grounds container (Fig. 16) and clean them;
            • press the two red release buttons on the infuser sideways and
            towards the center (Fig. 29) and pull it out;
            WARNING: THE INFUSER CAN ONLY BE REMOVED WHEN THE MACHINE IS OFF. ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE THE INFUSER WITH THE MACHINE ON MAY CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE.
            • wash the infuser under running water, without using detergents.
            Never wash the infuser in the dishwasher;
            • carefully clean the inside of the machine. To remove the coffee stuck to the parts inside the machine, scrape it with a plastic or wooden fork (Fig. 30) and then pick up all the residues using a vacuum
            cleaner (Fig. 31);
            • Replace the infuser by sliding it onto the supports and the pin at the bottom; then push the PUSH symbol fully in until until it clicks into place.

Comment

No do not do that. I have never cleaned a full-auto machine but I would always follow the user manual for cleaning. This is an excerpt from the manual I found on an American website, so I don't know how accurate it is (it says to never use detergents)
              Ok thank you for all of the help, I really appreciate it.

Comment

I will be away for 3 weeks. Is there any cleaning recommended for my BES870 before I go and when I come back?

I have cafetto restore descaler and cafetto evo powder. I use evo powder with the rubber disc, has hole, and a pressurised basket when the clean me light comes on.

Wondering if I should leave descaler in while I am away?

The water here eventually chokes the machine, first one lasted 3 years, second one is approaching 3 years, but has extended warranty for another 3 years.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X