First Machine Aquried: Faema Family at a steal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Machine Aquried: Faema Family at a steal

Hey everyone. Longtime lurker here, first time poster. Decided to pull the trigger on my first machine. I picked up this old (and tired looking) Faema Family a few weeks ago. Seller was asking $75 CAD, but when I went to see it, he couldn't get it to prime. I got it for $40, thinking it would need a new pump.

By the time I got it home, it had cooled off, and primed no problem. It needed a good cleaning, a descale and several rounds of backflushes with detergent, but now it makes a great cup of coffee.

I have some time in the next few weeks in-between semesters at school so I will be giving it a new paint job/polish and a thorough disassembly for cleaning. It will get a new group-head gasket and likely a shower screen as well. In addition, I will be making a steam wand.

The tamper that came with it was a ill fitting plastic POS, so I went ahead and made a new one.

I'm quite enjoying the descent into the madness of the coffee world. This weekend I'm picking up an equally vintage GaggiaMD64/Macap MX grinder to compliment the Faema.

This thread will hopefully document my changes to the machine as I do it. I think the next big project will be installing a PID for better consistency

Solid machines, I have two of them. One I had resprayed matte black, the other's original white paint and decals are in great condition.

I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with for a steam wand, the factory wand and fitting aren't very good as you would know. Being such a unique style of wand/tap is a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
      Solid machines, I have two of them. One I had resprayed matte black, the other's original white paint and decals are in great condition.

I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with for a steam wand, the factory wand and fitting aren't very good as you would know. Being such a unique style of wand/tap is a pain.
      I actually don't know. The machine didn't come with the original wand, just a plastic milk frother type device

Comment

May I suggest you discard that single basket. A good double will improve brewing.

Comment

Originally posted by robusto View Post
          May I suggest you discard that single basket. A good double will improve brewing.
          Already done. I just used the single basket in the shop to custom fit the tamper perfectly.

Picked up my grinder today. Not bad for $70 cdn. However the doser doesn't work and I want to get rid of it. I will need to fab something up to make it doserless

Comment

If you know anyone with a 3d printer theres heaps of doserless mods on thingiverse.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo View Post
              If you know anyone with a 3d printer theres heaps of doserless mods on thingiverse.com
              Copy that. Better yet, I can CNC them out of aluminum or 3D print. I have access to both [emoji1]

I did manage to fix the doser but I think I will still move towards doserless. It retains anywhere from 6-8g of grounds and have so many little cracks for the grounds to get trapped in and go stale.

Comment

wish i learnt how to operate one of those!!

Comment

Took the machine apart to give it a proper cleaning as the 3 way valve was acting up. Was it ever f*****g disgusting. It's sitting in a descaler bath now

Comment

Working...
                  X