Equipment advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment advice

I have a classic Gaggia (about 18 years old). Was used for about 5 years then placed in storage, used again for the last 2 years. It has a pid and the steam temp needs to be manually changed as the switch on Gaggia is broken. The pucks are solid but water sits on the top when the group handle is removed.

I also have a rocky grinder and replaced the blades about 6 months ago.

I am of the view that the Gaggia is dying, although the coffee is fine. Probably worth replacing rather than fixing.

I drink 1-2 cappuccinos a day with a double shot and a double espresso as a long black a couple of times a week.

So not a large consumer.

Any advice on what to replace with? Happy with the Rocky although also happy to Look at an integrated grinder.

Hi Peter,

Its close on endless with what you could have. A price guide on what you are willing to spend is a good start.

My view is also as like many that a grinder is as important as a new machine, actually more important.

Regards,

Chris

Comment

How much room do you have in your kitchen?
      Budget?
      Do you want to be able to steam milk and pull shots at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin View Post
        How much room do you have in your kitchen?
        Budget?
        Do you want to be able to steam milk and pull shots at the same time?
        No, if I make more than one I make the espresso first then froth the milk. A single boiler would likely be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by coffeechris View Post
          Hi Peter,

Its close on endless with what you could have. A price guide on what you are willing to spend is a good start.

My view is also as like many that a grinder is as important as a new machine, actually more important.

Regards,

Chris
          I guess $1,500 would be my limit.

As far as the grinder goes would the Rocky not be a good option to continue with?

Comment

Originally posted by petermet View Post
            I guess $1,500 would be my limit.

As far as the grinder goes would the Rocky not be a good option to continue with?
            Morning Peter, the Rocky with new burrs will be fine until your in a position to upgrade.

Comment

If the Rocky is in good condition it should be ok. I prefer a doserless grinder but a doser is ok, just more cleaning.
              The ECM Cassa V would be a nice fit.
              Good quality single boiler machine for around $1200 I think.

Comment

There is a Diadema perfetta in the for sale section if you are happy to entertain getting a second hand machine https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-ha...1-machine.html

Comment

Excellent machines these and this one has been looked after...

Mal.

Comment

The ECM looks nice but would rather a machine with a PID. Are the Lelit machines any good as a replacement for a Gaggia Classic?

Comment

The PL41TEMD will do nicely. https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...lelit-pl41tem/

Or the Victoria even more nicely
                      https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...lelit-victoria

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
                        How does the grinder in the built in grinder options compare to my rocky? and I better replacing in with a built in or just getting another seperate if and when it needs replacing?

Comment

Keep the Rocky, replace it if and when required

Comment

Working...
                          X