Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunbeam EM7000 steam pipe burst, can I keep making coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM7000 steam pipe burst, can I keep making coffee?

Hi everyone, we have a sunbeam em7000 bought in 2016, no extended warranty.

So the steam pipe burst last week. we opened the top and saw the thin plastic pipe connecting the pump to steam wand burst wide open at the connecting point. because we live far from sunbeam's repair agents and its out of warranty, we called people near us and was told that it may not be as simple as replacing the pipe and there could be other problems that caused the burst; and also hard to seek sunbeam parts, etc etc... so to make things easier we just bought a milk frother

but my concern is: even though we can still use it to make coffee, during the warming up time when we start the machine, will there still be steam or hot air coming out of the burst pipe? or,(not knowing exactly how the twin thermoblcok works), there is actually a valve, and there won't be anything coming out if we don't turn the steam knob outside, meaning we can still keep making coffee until the machine eventually dies completely. I just don't want the leaked steam to slowly erode the rest of the machine.

thanks much in advance for any knowledge you can offer.

Can you post a photo of the burst pipe? If it's near the end and it's long enough it's possible to shorten it and reconnect it I think, say least if they're like the Breville pipes it is. And I can't see why you shouldn't replace it entirely if that's what's required.
    Last edited by level3ninja; 18 January 2020, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I would think your steam thermoblock now has no water in it. How this would affect it, im not sure. Maybe it will cook the steam element....

Comment

thanks for the reply! i did take a photo but at the moment the forum doesn't allow me to post with attachments, and I can't see a button to create albums in the setting either, maybe I am too new?! it is a thin plastic pipe(tube) connecting the boiler/thermoblock? through to the steam wand. it goes into the steam wand as I had also pulled the wand apart. it burst at the point where it connects to the boiler/thermoblock? via a golden color metal part, a valve maybe? we were told maybe other issue caused the burst, not a block, such as temperature is too high,etc.. we had guests on that day, so a quick solution was to buy a frother. we really hope we can keep using the machine, as it has been quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
          Can you post a photo of the burst pipe? If it's near the end and it's long enough it's possible to shorten it and reconnect it I think, say least if they're like the Breville pipes it is. And I can't see why you shouldn't replace it entirely if that's what's required.
          thanks for the reply! i did take a photo but at the moment the forum doesn't allow me to post with attachments, and I can't see a button to create albums in the setting either, maybe I am too new?! it is a thin plastic pipe(tube) connecting the boiler/thermoblock? through to the steam wand. it goes into the steam wand as I had also pulled the wand apart. it burst at the point where it connects to the boiler/thermoblock? via a golden color metal part, a valve maybe? we were told maybe other issue caused the burst, not a block, such as temperature is too high,etc.. we had guests on that day, so a quick solution was to buy a frother. we really hope we can keep using the machine, as it has been quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
            I would think your steam thermoblock now has no water in it. How this would affect it, im not sure. Maybe it will cook the steam element....
            thanks for the reply! the burst was the tube/pipe from boiler/thermoblcock? to the steam wand. wow that sounds bad if its going to cook the steam element. i did email sunbeam, they still haven't replied me. maybe they don't bother anymore now i am out of warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by 3coffeesaweekonly View Post
              thanks for the reply! the burst was the tube/pipe from boiler/thermoblcock? to the steam wand. wow that sounds bad if its going to cook the steam element. i did email sunbeam, they still haven't replied me. maybe they don't bother anymore now i am out of warranty.
              G'day 3coffeesaweekonly (from 2 coffees a day only - so they better be damn good ones...)

Although I have owned / sorted a few 6910s (still have & love my 2008 one) I cannot help with this issue. PM noidle22 (Bathurst) as he would have forgotten more about these than I will ever know.

I think you have to do 6 posts before you can post pictures - RTFM.

Enjoy your cuppa

TampIt
              Last edited by TampIt; 20 January 2020, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X