Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam Anti-calc filter questions

Hi.

The steamer wand for my EM6910 started sputtering then almost completely stopped. So I pushed a pin into the nozzle, dislodged some gunk and did a descaling.

Then I noticed that the anti-calc filter was sitting in the bottom of the water tank.

So, now I am thinking I might need to replace it? But I can't remember replacing it before and I have had the machine for a few years.

My questions:

Could I have done any damage making coffee with the filter not connected? Or would the descaling address that?

I have seen people suggest a "salt bath". Does this work and how would I do it?

Or should I just get a new filter and use my Vietnamese coffee tin filter until I get it?

Cheers

I suppose the unsaid responses are "RTFM"?

"Note: The espresso machine can operatenormally without the filter and is easilyremoved by gently pulling it out." (p9)

Comment

Yes, but do you already use filtered/softened water? There is a little bit of information (i.e. a lot!) on here about water filtration. Use the search tool at the top of the page.

Comment

Originally posted by Caps View Post
        Yes, but do you already use filtered/softened water? There is a little bit of information (i.e. a lot!) on here about water filtration. Use the search tool at the top of the page.
        Thanks for that, Caps. I suppose it's a case of I don't know what I don't know, and I don't know much about filtration/water hardness so wasn't inclined to go delving. And, as you indicated, there is a lot when you do go delving.

I might adopt the KISS principle and just get a new filter. As I said, I can't remember ever changing it (don't hate me!)

Cheers

Edit: I just use tap water so whatever filtration Sydney Water use is what I use ...

Comment

FWIW, my 2008 manufactured 6910 is still one of the two machines on my bench. I use twice filtered (in and out of the tank) rainwater. The first thing I did was to remove that horrible filter (I can really taste what it does) and deep 6 it. If you are using reasonable quality water (whole 'nother subject) I suggest you do the same.

TampIt

Comment

Originally posted by TampIt View Post
            If you are using reasonable quality water (whole 'nother subject) I suggest you do the same.

TampIt
            Sydney Water tell me that my water hardness is "36 - 39 (mg CaCO3/L)" which, apparently, is low!

Edit: by "low" I mean "soft" (but you knew that)
            Last edited by ArfaGato; 31 March 2020, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X