Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brevile Dual Boiler BES 920 Portafilter options

Hello all,

Just to preface this I have seen another forum in regards to gaggia classic portafilters fitting into brevile dual boiler machines however i'm looking for a bit more on the topic.

Firstly I have a BES 920 that I bought just to fix and sell, plan on getting it to a mate or his brother hence why I want to get it good to go. Issue is that I don't have a portafilter for it and they are seemingly damn hard to find...
    Have tried a portafilter from a 900 but it leaks which seems to be a known issue.

For the questions
    I was wondering what portafilters will fit the machine? gaggia classic and beyond? any random online ones you have found?
    I have found this as an option but not sure if it will fit as it seems to be targeted at the commercial machines. https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/en...le/m-1988.aspx

any other good options? old e61 portafilters that fit?
    anybody selling a portafilter?

I'm in Aus by the way if it makes a difference

Thanks in advance

The 900 portafilter should fit if you remove the notch that the 920 portafilters have cut in them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200408_173234.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	753419

Name:	20200408_173315.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	753420

Otherwise I'm not aware of any others that fit without modification.

Comment

Whacked my -900 portafilter with a grinder. Five minute job (looks it though), hasn't leaked a drop in five years use in a -920 group:

-Peter

Comment

Stock standard Gaggia Classic portafilters don't fit straight into a 920, but they are fairly easy to modify.
        If you file about 1 to 1.5mm off the top edge of the P/F they will fit. Alternatively, you could file about the same amount off the bottom of each of the lugs, but taking it off the top is much easier. They are brass, so they're quite easy to file.
        This may limit the range of baskets that can be used in it, but I have found that it is OK with the original Breville, Gaggias, and Espresso Parts precision baskets.

Because of the different location of the Gaggia lugs, the P/F has to be inserted with the handle at about 9 o'clock, and it then tightens to be locked in at about 8 o'clock.
        Last edited by deegee; 11 April 2020, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pcrussell50 View Post
          Whacked my -900 portafilter with a grinder. Five minute job (looks it though), hasn't leaked a drop in five years use in a -920 group:

-Peter
          Is that all that is needed? Other than that, are they the same? Can get my hands on a 900 one so curious to buy and "adapt" it for a 920.

Comment

Just for general info. I had an orig 900 and purchased the genuine naked portafilter. After 10 years, i decided to go to the 920 ( the 900 was still working fine apart from the pump not working correctly at lower pressure preinfusion) I did the mod to the 900 portafilter. In the 920 the 900pf lugs are fractionally too tight. ...... dont know whether a few drops from the counter have resulted in an out of round pf over the 10 years of use or whether there was a bit of variability. The ramp angles on the lugs seem identical - so maybe it just needs a careful file on the lugs? In the near future i will be giving the old 900 a well needed service and pending findings she will go back into service. I was lucky enough to get a second hand 920 naked portafilter, so will use that instead and NO i won't be selling the 900 naked pf sorry people.

Comment

Thanks for the hints guys. I had a BES900 naked PF available near my house and all i needed was some confirmation.
              It works! Yeah, the lugs seem a bit more gentle with the angle but not sure if that happens overtime or what. No issues with sealing and you don't even have to file as much as the 920 PF, as it has extra clearance.
              Here are some pics. Literally got the PF at 10:30

Name:	USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1609720796322_6751658374899191040.jpeg
Views:	533
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	853105

Name:	IMG_20210104_115300.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	853106

I might just polish the notch a bit and make it a touch prettier but hey, it works. All you need is a metal file. A dremel tool might make it quicker. I did flatten the notch a bit with an angle grinder with grinding disc but you gotta be careful

Comment

So you just made the notch without touching the lugs? Will give this a go as I have a 900 PF I want to use in the 920. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by artman View Post
                  So you just made the notch without touching the lugs? Will give this a go as I have a 900 PF I want to use in the 920. Cheers
                  Correct. A flat file is probably the best tool. If you are confident you can use an angle grinder but you gotta have a steady hand .
                  A dremel tool can also work but the file is more controllable. Once you define the area that you need to file away it's easier to just put some force and get the job done. Then get some fine sand paper, cut a strip and run it back and forth to make it look nicer. Stock 920 PF has actually more clearance than needed. Lugs are fine. No issues at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X