Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xanthine
    replied
    Thanks for the boiler suggestions noidle. The Via Venezia boiler would probably be the most straightforward option as I am not sure how a boiler pressure valve could be easily fitted to a thermocoil boiler to enable the combined steam/hot water functions - if you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

The funky appearance of this machine seems to be the only thing it has going for it and it could possibly be a reasonable machine with some new internals.
    I have just finished reverse engineering the boiler and it was in a pretty sorry state - lots of scale and corrosion. I had to destroy the shower screen retaining screw to get it out as brass in alloy is not a good combination! A nice stainless boiler would be a vast improvement.

I guess I will put it into storage for a while to see if I can source some parts rather than scrapping it - another job for (late)ron.

Trev

Leave a comment:

• noidle22
    replied
    If I get a chance, I reckon a thermocoil from a new Sunbeam or Breville may fit with some fettling.

Retains the cool aesthetics of the machine but makes it much faster and more reliable.

Edit: Checked the photos, a Via Venezia boiler would be a good fit too. Would need to be reversed to put the steam valve on the correct size and the group head is a bit smaller than the Delonghi I think so adaptor links may be needed to affix the boiler securely to the chassis.

Leave a comment:

• Xanthine
    replied
    Sorry i forgot to reply earlier.
    No worries about the reply - the owner was not too fussed about getting the machine fixed and stupid me can't resist a challenge. I would still be interested to hear if there is an easier way if you think of it, just to satisfy my curiosity.

When I get a bit more spare time I plan to open the boiler just to see what goes on inside. (Can probably post pics of what I find if anyone is remotely interested)

The machine has plenty of other problems as well, including a loose and leaking swivel joint on the steam wand (to say nothing of the contraption on the end of it), a leaking boiler seal and corrosion on the base plate due to the leaks. All up, not very good prospects for restoration.

Leave a comment:

• noidle22
    replied
    Sorry i forgot to reply earlier. I checked the machine at work but i would have told you to do the same as what you ended up doing anyway. I think there's an easier way but i can't remember it.

Leave a comment:

• Xanthine
    replied
    Just to finish off what Kez started, and in case anyone else has to repair one of these machines, I have documented my efforts.

My first step was to remove the 4 screws holding the front control panel and carefully move it aside. Care needs to be taken not to damage the capillary tube for the temperature gauge by kinking or breaking it as it would not be repairable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	control panel screws.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	741511

This enabled me to just access the heater terminals with the DMM probes and confirm that it was open circuit.

I then removed the 4 phillips head screws in the corners of the top cover from the underside but the cover could not be removed because of the steam valve spindle and lever coming out through it on the RHS. Since I could not find any retaining screws or clips holding the lever to the shaft I figured it was just a press fit on the splines so I used a bit of brute force and ignorance and managed to lever it off the end of the shaft using a flat bladed screw driver. Opening the valve fully first opened up a small gap to get the screwdriver blade in.

Name:	Steam valve spindle & lever.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	741512

The top cover could still not be removed past the projecting steam valve spindle, which could not be unscrewed until the black plastic 'stopper' was slid outwards on its splines about 5mm with the aid of a screwdriver.

Name:	Plastic stop on steam valve.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	741513

Once that was all out of the way the top cover could easily slid off backwards over the power cord and plug.

Closer examination of the heating element in it's channel around the base of the boiler revealed a bulge in the middle of it where it had 'blown'. My guess is that this design would tend to make the elements more likely to overheat and fail because of the poor thermal contact with the boiler.

Name:	Bulged heating element.jpg
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	741514

Some online research has revealed that this machine is similar, if not identical, to the Kenwood ES547 sold in Britain and there are places there selling the boiler as a spare part. The problem is the high price and freight to Au would probably make repair un-economical for a machine which does not seem to have much going for it.

Still, I will probably make a few more enquiries before scrapping it (the case would probably make another novel letter box!!)

Name:	LHS internals.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	741515

Trev

Leave a comment:

• Xanthine
    replied
    Thanks Noidle, much appreciated.

I found that the knob can be unscrewed from the lever but the lever itself would not turn, even with the pliers on it, so there must be some trick to it.

There is no sign of a grub screw on the outside or inside -

Name:	Steam control lever.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	741473Click image for larger version

Name:	Steam valve inside cover.jpg
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	741474

All I could see were the points of 3 screws coming through the cover from the chrome collar -

Name:	Closeup steam valve.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	741475

If it is the heating element gone I don't think the owner will be bothered with the expense of replacing it so the machine will probably get scrapped (still, I might score a nice little temperature gauge). Then again, with a bit of luck, it could be a thermostat or similar. Either way I get to have a look inside something other than a 6910 for a change.

P.S. sorry about the low-res photos - I was a bit lazy and just used the USB endoscope camera to save re-sizing.

Trev

Leave a comment:

• noidle22
    replied
    I've got an old one sitting at work, vaguely remember how to do it, might check tomorrow.
    I think you need to unscrew the lever and then spin out the knob as far as it goes and there's a set screw somewhere.

Also DeLonghi no longer supply the boilers but maybe you can get one overseas. The elements are moulded into the outside of the boilers if I remember correctly, like a Gaggia Classic boiler.

Leave a comment:

• Xanthine
    replied
    I know this is a really old post but I am hoping someone has some info on these machines, in particular how to take off the steam control lever.
    I've been asked to look at a 1385 ("You fix things don't you!") which just stopped working.
    My guess is that the heating element in the boiler has died but I need to get it apart to check and can't see how the arm comes off.
    I've examined it closely and even tried unscrewing it but don't want to force anything in case it breaks so any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    (Kez, are you still around? Pity you didn't post those pics.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated other than rude ones about what should be done with the whole machine.

I can post photos later if it will help.

Trev

Leave a comment:

• Kez
    replied
    Re: how to take apart Delonghi 1385

Well eventually I got it apart - takes me back a few years to when I worked on mini coopers (the originals) Talk about shoe horned together. probably easy to put together but not to take apart
    !
    Will post a few pics of a bare Delonghi retro if anyone is interested.
    The result was dead element which looks as if it is only replaceable as a whole with the thermoblock- So I guess it is RIP ( Remain In Pieces )

Now to a different machine ! Had enough of the stove top brew!

Kez

Leave a comment:

• Kez
    started a topic how to take apart Delonghi 1385

how to take apart Delonghi 1385

Hi and help
    Ive been using the delonghi 1385 for a few years now, with good results using baskets out of a commercial Rancilio , a decent Faema grinder and a lot of patience But the other day it just stopped heating. to both water and steam temps.
    I guess heating element but would like to find out - but I cant get the thing apart!.
    Has anyone got any idea how to get the steam control lever off ? without taking this off I cant get the main cover off or get to the wiring with the Multi meter.

Hoping for some sparks of wisdom

cheers Kez
Working...
X