Rancilio Silvia Manufacture date Aug. 2006 with PID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia Manufacture date Aug. 2006 with PID

Hello! I am so happy to find this forum. I am an affirmed coffee snob that has been progressing in my illness for some time. My Breville Duo-temp pro has been not happy and finally started smoking yesterday. It seems that the pump is the culprit but I have not opened her up to look. Instead I have been cruising Offerup and Craigslist for a better machine. My question is this:

I found a decent looking Rancilio Silvia with PID (Manufacture date Aug. 2006, does this mean V2 or V3) and they are asking $450. Assuming it all works well, is it worth it? Or should I just try and fix my breville? Or should I hold out for a new machine? I also found a Gaggia classic for $320 that still within warranty period at wholelattelove. Please help!

A Silvia with a PID can perform very well. Whether it's worth $450 depends a bit on the PID, what brand, does it do steam and brew temperatures etc.

Comment

That was my train of thought. What is the best way to test the brew temp? Can I just hold an instant read thermometer in the water flow from the brew group?

I will try and make a cappuccino and espresso to test the machine but beyond that what should I look at during my inspection. The PID is a Watlow SD.

Comment

The only way to accurately measure temperature is with a scace device. You could set it to steam mode and see how dry the steam is, and how much steam there is.

Comment

Working...
        X