Sunbeam Cafe Series EM6910 cannot get a shot after descaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam Cafe Series EM6910 cannot get a shot after descaling

hi all, i desperately need your help. had our Sunbeam Cafe Series EM6910 given to us second hand less than a year ago. been working well until a few days ago the shots it was pouring were extracting more slowly and only coming out of one side of the double portafilter spout. It would eventually come out the other side of the portafilter spout as well and we wold get the same volume of shot. i decided to clean the machine and as did not have a cleaning tablet thought i would descale. i found the manual online and followed the instructions using the vinegar solution and then ran through 3 litres of plain water. i then decided to run a shot of coffee and we had problems. a lot of water was coming out from where the portafilter locks into the group head. a little bit of water came out of the portafilter into the cup but it was not coffee but had a few coffee grounds. When i took the portafilter out and emptied out the used coffee grounds, i noticed that there was some water on top of the grounds, the top grounds were wet but a lot of the grounds in the portafilter had not been wet at all. I tried to extract another shot with new grounds but the same. Slightly less water left on top of coffee grounds in portafilter but still had water coming out between portafilter and group head and just dirty water being extracted. i had tampered this shot in harder and then put some extra coffee on top and tamped it down again.
    i am really keen to get this working as we need our coffee from home more than ever with the lock down. i'm wondering if i have done something when putting the filter screen back on to the group head or something else entirely. Maybe it needs other parts replaced such as a seal? i would really appreciate any input. thanks

What happens if you run a shot with no coffee?
    Can you attach a photo of the shower screen and group head seal etc?
    Could the rim of the basket have a tiny crack in it?
    Do you have any spacers installed above the gasket?

Comment

Are you grinding your own beans or pre-ground? It kind of sounds like the grind is too fine (hence above question about a shot with no coffee).
      Any variables changed in the last few days? Different coffee, different grind etc.?

Comment

hi, pre bought ground coffee that i have been using for a few months now. The coffee came from same place as usual but this time ordered online. Was probably a week in cupboard before we began using it (storing up cause of isolation). i will attach a few photo's and have a look for a crack. thanks

Comment

It also pays to check your seal carefully for splits, especially if it has been in use for some time. The silicone seals tend to get weak when they get old Click image for larger version

Name:	split seal.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	824947

Comment

Xanthine how do i get the seal off?

Comment

i ran a shot through the machine with no coffee and it was perfect. guys i have photos to upload but i am being a real newb here and struggling to upload the photos to this post. i keep trying to use the attachment icon but am then told i am not allowed to post attachments. any help with posting photos?

Comment

hi, i should also have added that after running the shot with no coffee and getting a good outcome, i then ran a shot with coffee. same result as earlier i.e water coming out everywhere except where it should and no shot of coffee into the cup. when i emptied the grounds they were all wet this time

Comment

test post as advised by admin

Comment

Undo the screw in the middle.
                    look how it comes Abarth as there is seperate lips for the screens to sit in.
                    Also clean the screens.

Sounds like a group seal to me..

Comment

The rounded end of a teaspoon handle works well to lever the seal out. No sharp edges to damage the seal.

Also check where your handle is locking in - it should be close to 90deg to the front of the machine ie straight out towards you. If not the seal may need shimming. I used to cut my shims from thin cardboard but have recently experimented with using thin silicone rubber sheet cut from a silicone rubber baking sheet. It also pays to thoroughly clean the seal groove in the group head. I got mine nice and smooth using a marble sized lump pulled off a stainless steel pot scourer. I pushed it into the groove and worked it around using a short length of wooden chop-stick. Also check that the group collar is not distorted and jambing the group handle. Test by fitting the group handle with no seal in place - it should go in easily. Click image for larger version

Name:	silicone rubber packing shim.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	825038 Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaned seal seat.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	825039

Comment

hi all, it was the group seal. i took it off (with a teaspoon) and a nice big crack. time to replace. Xanthine, you mentioned that the handle should be 90 degrees to the front when locked in place. Mine goes well past 90 degrees and locks in place securely and well, to the area it points to on the front of outside of group head. is this the correct spot? also like you did, I will thoroughly clean the seal groove in the group head. Mine is a lot dirtier than your picture. thanks to you all for all your suggestions and guidance. we've got out the old Saeco via venezia until i can repair the Sunbeam. i'll let you know how the repairs go. thanks, Liam

Comment

When you're buying a replacement seal make sure to get a genuine sunbeam one, they're a bit more expensive but last way longer.

Comment

Working...
                          X