Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EM6910 Wand Pressure Loss

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EM6910 Wand Pressure Loss

    Hi. I’ve just replaced a worn out steam pump on my 6910 with what I thought was a working second hand spare but now it’s taking a while to engage when I switch the steam on, and when it finally does I’ve near no pressure.

    I’ve descaled, and cleared out the wand for blockages but no improvement.

    Any thoughts? Anyone had a similar problem?

  • #2
    What was it doing before you replaced the pump?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
      What was it doing before you replaced the pump?
      Nothing at all. Wouldn't even try and engage when I turned the steam knob. I think the reason it had failed originally (I bought it with the steam not working) was a pipe that had leaked (now fixed) onto the pump itself which shorted it?

      Comment


      • #4
        Could be a badly scaled up steam thermoblock or a broken/faulty relief valve on the steam pump.

        Comment


        • alanjay
          alanjay commented
          Editing a comment
          Seems it might be a faulty valve - I’ve now got water pouring into the drip tray each time I try and use the steam. Any repair ideas?

      • #5
        I’d agree that a blocked steam thermoblock is likely. You need to give it a good descale.

        Comment


        • #6
          Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
          I’d agree that a blocked steam thermoblock is likely. You need to give it a good descale.
          Thanks Leroy, and Xanthine. I've read a few conflicting pieces of advice on here re descaling the steam thermoblock, and there's no recommended procedure from Sunbeam. What sounds like it might work is a vinegar solution with the temp turned right down and the pump rate right up. Sound about right?

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by alanjay View Post

            Thanks Leroy, and Xanthine. I've read a few conflicting pieces of advice on here re descaling the steam thermoblock, and there's no recommended procedure from Sunbeam. What sounds like it might work is a vinegar solution with the temp turned right down and the pump rate right up. Sound about right?
            It's not recommended by Sunbeam but it could be worth a try as I think it has been successful for others.
            I would suggest using the cheap 'synthetic' vinegar sold by some supermarkets as it seems to be made from just acetic acid and water and is less likely to contain other dissolved solids which could contribute to the blockage.

            Comment


            • #8
              Yes I’ve done this with some success in the past. Use cheap vinegar and make it quite dilute. And yes you turn the steam temp and pump rate right down to get as much ‘wet’ solution in there as you can. Then flush it REALLY well on the same setting then turn the temp and pump rate all the way up again and continue flushing. Good luck.

              Comment

              Working...
              X