Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woudl you buy a 4 year old EM7000?

Howdy team!

Big thanks to Level3ninja for helping in another thread, apologies as this thread may not be where I should be heading from there though...

Anyway, as the title suggests, i'm looking at a used EM7000 that is about 4 years old.

It seems to have had a pretty easy life, and maintained as required. Seller is very open with information.

I know parts are readily availbale for these units, and i'm very willing and partly able to tinker...

The biggest alarm bell for me, is that the group/basket locks in just past 90 degrees, if that makes sense... Should I walk away now?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Cheers, Grant.

As long as it's been looked after but that's a bit hard to tell from a quick test. What price range are they asking for?

Comment

I would want to remove the shower screen and see how spotless it was above it. This will tell you a lot about how much maintenance had been done. The locking in part 6 o'clock could just be that the seal is getting on in age. Could also be the collar if they've been jamming it in with too much coffee. If inspect the underside of the portafilter lugs for excessive wear, and if you can see the top of the collar where the lugs engage check for wear around the whole area. Collars and group seals aren't particularly costly or hard to replace on the 7000, if the machine is otherwise in excellent shape it's still worth considering depending on price.

Comment

Originally posted by tez1 View Post
        As long as it's been looked after but that's a bit hard to tell from a quick test. What price range are they asking for?
        Asking $230 for it.

Thanks for chiming in.
        Last edited by Waldog; 20 April 2020, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
          I would want to remove the shower screen and see how spotless it was above it. This will tell you a lot about how much maintenance had been done. The locking in part 6 o'clock could just be that the seal is getting on in age. Could also be the collar if they've been jamming it in with too much coffee. If inspect the underside of the portafilter lugs for excessive wear, and if you can see the top of the collar where the lugs engage check for wear around the whole area. Collars and group seals aren't particularly costly or hard to replace on the 7000, if the machine is otherwise in excellent shape it's still worth considering depending on price.
          I feel like the price is reasonable, and people seem to be holding on to these machines for sometime with regular maintenance.

Thanks again for your perspective.

Comment

That's not a bad price for the machine. Some people are asking $350 - $400 and a couple hundred more you could get a brand new one

Comment

If you can take out the shower screens to inspect for cleanliness as L3N suggested I’d definitely recommend doing so. That being said even if it’s a bit dirty it’s not the end of the world as long as it looks like it could be cleaned up easy enough. A little bit of wear on the collar isn’t a huge issue either as long as you’re still getting a seal. Have you or are you able to make a coffee on it? Or get the current owner to demonstrate for you? This will tell you pretty quickly if everything is running ok. If it is then $200ish is not a bad price. Also look for other signs of wear and use like on the push buttons and knobs as well as the drop tray and the portafilter.

Comment

Hey all.

Picked up the machine last night.

Tested everything but pulling a shot, head could have been cleaner, but seller swears that it's not leaking. Hopefully it's true.

Hoping that worst case is that it just needs a new seal on on the group head. Plan to install a new one regardless and have ordered one in preparation to do this.

Was also looking to grab some shims/gaskets, as I've read many people saying they still have a leak even with a new seal. Most are blaming the new seal being not as tall as the original seal.

Any tips/opinions on shims? I've found one eBay seller, but they're away at the moment, so can't buy them yet.

Cheers, Grant.

Comment

Well for those playing at home...

Pulled my first shot today on the EM7000, great result, no leaks, great flavour and crema.

All round good result.

Will replace the group seal at the end of the week when it arrives, hopefully that doesn't introduce any new issues....

Comment

In terms of shims under the group head seal just use the seal as a template on a cereal packet. It won't be doing any sealing work, the seal does that. They'll last for years and are cheap to replace it required.

Comment

Working...
                    X