EM6910 heater stays on after power on front panel switched off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 heater stays on after power on front panel switched off

My EM6910 is about 7 years old. I replaced the group head collar and replaced the microswitch on hot water this week. Machine is working well but the heater stays on even after the power is turned off on the front panel of the machine. I now have to turn off the power at the powerpoint. Any ideas on what the problem might be. Thanks

Originally posted by NK4 View Post
    My EM6910 is about 7 years old. I replaced the group head collar and replaced the microswitch on hot water this week. Machine is working well but the heater stays on even after the power is turned off on the front panel of the machine. I now have to turn off the power at the powerpoint. Any ideas on what the problem might be. Thanks
    Blown triac?

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
      Blown triac?
      I might look into replacing the triac or maybe turn off at the powerpoint each time.

Comment

I did a search of posts on EM6910 and found this old post on a stuck relay https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equ...-on#post461803. It may help someone with a similar problem in the future.

Comment

I changed the PCB but still the problem persists, The PCB came with a board for the font panel which I will change and after that there is not much more that I can try. Any ideas welcome.

Comment

Was there any damage tot he triac on the board you removed? You’d see it if it had blown.

Comment

There is steam coming out from the grouphead and it leaks badly when portafilter is attached.

Comment

There was some damage to the old board which has the relays on it but triacs seemed ok

Comment

The triacs don't run the thermoblocks in the EM6910, the relays on the sub-PCB do.
                  When the coffee thermoblock relay sticks closed, the thermoblock regulates on the safety thermostat at around 110C instead of the NTC sensor, hence the steam.

It's possible you have plugged the thermoblock NTC wire into the wrong socket on the board, there are a few that use the same connector. They are labelled, trace your wiring from the NTC on the thermoblock to the board and make sure it's plugged into the right socket. It should be labelled "NTC COF" or something along those lines.

If that wasn't the problem, was the board you used as a replacement brand new or used? If it was used then it may have the same issue, very unlikely though.

Comment

It was a new board and I had tagged and photographed all wires before I replaced the board but I will check to make sure, thanks.

Comment

I found the problem, it was a pinched cable which must have happened when I replaced the group head collar.I now have a spare PCB and front panel board from the troubleshooting. Thanks for your help, the machine has received an extension of life.

Comment

Working...
                      X