Have I outgrown my em6910?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I outgrown my em6910?

Help me out folks... I feel I can't pull the amazing shots that you'd expect from a speciality cafe that truly knows there coffee. I am wondering have I maxed out the potential out of the Em6910, as my coffees are great, just not amazing
    ​​
    I've had the sunbeam em6910 for the last 3-4 years. And with all this self isolation covid shenanigans, I've really honed in on my espresso game.

I'm pulling 1:2 shots out in 28 secs consistent, I've done it with different beans (freshly roasted - dukes coffee, symmetry coffee roasters). I've varied extraction time and volumes, but I can't seem to get that underlying strength and taste of the bean you get after taking your first sip and letting the milk flavour pass, followed by that strong bean taste.

I've got a breville smart grinder to combo with the sunbeam.

I'm wondering if what I'm after can only come from those prosumer coffee machines.

Thoughts folks? Am I due for an upgrade?

​​

Originally posted by chillipaste View Post
    Help me out folks... I feel I can't pull the amazing shots that you'd expect from a speciality cafe that truly knows there coffee. I am wondering have I maxed out the potential out of the Em6910, as my coffees are great, just not amazing ​​ I've had the sunbeam em6910 for the last 3-4 years. And with all this self isolation covid shenanigans, I've really honed in on my espresso game. I'm pulling 1:2 shots out in 28 secs consistent, I've done it with different beans (freshly roasted - dukes coffee, symmetry coffee roasters). I've varied extraction time and volumes, but I can't seem to get that underlying strength and taste of the bean you get after taking your first sip and letting the milk flavour pass, followed by that strong bean taste. I've got a breville smart grinder to combo with the sunbeam. I'm wondering if what I'm after can only come from those prosumer coffee machines. Thoughts folks? Am I due for an upgrade? ​​
    Are you adjusting the brew temperature as well? I found this makes a noticeable difference on the 6910. Also it’s more likely that you’re noticing the limitations of your grinder than your coffee machine. If you are considering upgrading to get to the next level you need to upgrade your grinder first.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
      Are you adjusting the brew temperature as well? I found this makes a noticeable difference on the 6910. Also it’s more likely that you’re noticing the limitations of your grinder than your coffee machine. If you are considering upgrading to get to the next level you need to upgrade your grinder first.

I tried bumping up the brew temperature once, but I'll give it another go. I've been use the coffee compass to hone in my preferred taste.

And with the grinder - that's a great point. Might need to explore what's the next level up from a breville smart grinder then.

I'm also thinking about roasting my own beans (sounds fun)

Comment

Originally posted by chillipaste View Post
        I tried bumping up the brew temperature once, but I'll give it another go. I've been use the coffee compass to hone in my preferred taste. And with the grinder - that's a great point. Might need to explore what's the next level up from a breville smart grinder then. I'm also thinking about roasting my own beans (sounds fun)
        From memory the factory brew temp setting on the 6910 is a nominal 92deg. I found that was ok for quite dark roasts, but not hot enough for anything like a medium or lighter roast. I’d recommend going up to 94deg for medium roast and 96deg for light roasts.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
          From memory the factory brew temp setting on the 6910 is a nominal 92deg. I found that was ok for quite dark roasts, but not hot enough for anything like a medium or lighter roast. I’d recommend going up to 94deg for medium roast and 96deg for light roasts.
          How do I go about bumping up my brew temperature? I didn't know that was possible on the EM6910! Learning something every day

Comment

Originally posted by scottwright View Post

How do I go about bumping up my brew temperature? I didn't know that was possible on the EM6910! Learning something every day
            https://www.manualslib.com/manual/46...page=36#manual

page 36

Comment

Working...
            X