Breville Dual Boiler not living up to its hype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville Dual Boiler not living up to its hype

We are really not liking the Breville Dual Boiler - purchased in the bundle with the grinder 3 months ago. Have had inconsistent coffee from the start. Initially we put it down to being inexperienced coffee makers, but we have followed so many YouTube tutes, and played with the grind settings to no avail. Now the needle doesn’t move from 0 on preinfusion, and can’t get more than 3-4 bars of pressure when extracting. You either get no extraction or it flooding out in streams - without changing the grind settings. The heavy vibrating noise is unbearable - shakes the whole bench as it’s working so hard to extract. The milk froth wand works fine, it’s just the coffee side.

we really wish we had just spent the money on a better machine. All the reviews on this machine seems great - it must be a dud. We purchased from David Jones and wondering whether we should take it back there for a refund or if they will make us call Breville for them to ‘repair’ it. It’s so large we don’t want to cart it into the shops only to be turned away.

anyone had any experience successfully returning a coffee machine to DJs? This is my preferred option as we just want out money back

Stigg you never answered what pressure the machine got to with a blind filter or the rubber cleaning disc inserted and holding down one of the shot buttons? That should tell us if the problem is in the machine or external

Edit: you will most likely have the machine repairs as first option. DJs should look after this for you, but if you're worried they'll make you take it somewhere you can call them first. If you call Breville direct about it they'll make you take it to a repairer but DJs might do it for you, if you call them first they should be able to tell you the process.
    Last edited by level3ninja; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Stig77
      Stig77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t know how to do the blind filter or cleaning disc thing - is there a tutorial that shows me how to do it?

I guess we are just shattered that we bought a machine that was meant to be awesome, and easy to use, but either we can’t get the hang of it or it’s faulty.

Do these machines have that feature where the pump will increase brew pressure if it senses that it’s struggling to push water through the pump?

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
      Do these machines have that feature where the pump will increase brew pressure if it senses that it’s struggling to push water through the pump?
      No. Maximum pressure is set by the OPV, low pressure preinfusion is done by cutting out parts of the AC waveform (like a dimmer), but as soon as that is over it's at full tilt. There's no way for it to go above the OPV setting if that's not enough. To my knowledge that feature is only found on high end commercial machines (Linea etc)

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
        Stigg you never answered what pressure the machine got to with a blind filter or the rubber cleaning disc inserted and holding down one of the shot buttons? That should tell us if the problem is in the machine or external Edit: you will most likely have the machine repairs as first option. DJs should look after this for you, but if you're worried they'll make you take it somewhere you can call them first. If you call Breville direct about it they'll make you take it to a repairer but DJs might do it for you, if you call them first they should be able to tell you the process.
        Or they might give you a replacement unit on the spot. My folks got like 4 new sunbeams through warranty replacements.

Comment

Do you think if we video the machine ‘doing it’s No pressure and vibrating thing’ and email it to Breville they will advise if it’s a fault or if we are doing something wrong?

Comment

Out of interest and as a newcomer to espresso, have you given consideration to attending a reputable Basic Barista course?
            Well worth doing and will ensure you understand all aspects of the process and hopefully some basic maintenance measures as well, including how to Backflush your new machine...

Mal.

Comment

• Stig77
              Stig77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, this is on the to do list. I was meant to go on one in March but then they cancelled due to Covid-19 ... hopefully they start them again soon!

Though, now that I have cleaned the machine and pulled a perfect syrupy shot my confidence in my ability after watching YouTube videos is restored 😃

Stig, a bit hard for anyone here to give you a definitive answer how a warranty will be handled.

Why don't you answer Ninjas question with the blind filter and people can give better advice if technique or the machine. I am already surprised you have had the machine 3 months without doing a clean? Ninja knows his stuff about these machines.

To test pressure get the rubber cleaning disc, put in the bottom of the portafilter (no coffee), insert in machine a pull a shot. Read pressure off gauge as this happening and report back

Comment

• Stig77
              Stig77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Brilliant tip re the cleaning disc - I didn’t even know we had one, so I pulled out the manual to see what it looks like and and just found it in the hidey hole under the tray. Popped a tablet in, ran the clean and straight away the needle moved on preinfusion, and the up to 9 bars for the first time in ages. I ran it through the clean cycle twice, tipped out all the gunk and guess what - just pulled a perfect syrupy single shot with no change to the grinder settings 😃😃😃 So much better than the watery one I had this morning when I reached the end of my tether.

We did descale the machine a couple of weeks ago thinking that could be the problem but didn’t know about the cleaning disc and tablet.

So - machine not broken after all. Just user error not knowing that we had to clean it regularly. Thank you all so much for helping!

On this point - how often should we be cleaning it this way? Once a week or month? Or just when It starts struggling again?

Great news! I clean my machine every week, not familiar with the Breville routine but probably similar

Comment

I make 2 to 3 coffee's a day on my dual boiler and I back flush, with no tablet just water, daily. Part of my clean up after my last coffee of the day. Maybe do a tablet every couple of weeks or so depending on how many coffee's you make.

Comment

Your machine tells you when to clean it, yes? Don't ignore it next time!

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
                  Or they might give you a replacement unit on the spot. My folks got like 4 new sunbeams through warranty replacements.
                  Sunbeam no longer even attempt to repair their machines, to the point they don't supply spare parts either. Breville still do both to my knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Stig77
                    On this point - how often should we be cleaning it this way? Once a week or month? Or just when It starts struggling again?
                    You should backflush with the rubber disc after every coffee making session, whether it's one or twelve coffees. Backflush until the water is completely clear, this may take one or a number of times, but it's important to keep doing it until no more bits of coffee appear afterwards. Instead of the rubber disc you can use a blind filter, complete metal piece like a basket but shallower and no holes at the bottom. Only a few dollars from eBay or most site sponsors. I prefer this to the rubber disc but they both work.

You should use a tablet or equivalent powder (Cafetto Espresso Clean is the exact same stuff in the tablet just not compressed, it's also miles cheaper!) And run the cleaning cycle with the rubber disc or blind filter once a week regardless of how many coffees you have made, as long as you've made at least one. This is because of what happens when the coffee oils and acidity are left to sit in the machine.

I also have one of these machines, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Comment

Glad you got your machine sorted.
                      Here's a short video uploaded by Breville's Phil McKnight showing how to rinse the group head and plain water back flush. An older machine, but same principle. Phil was a regular contributor when the Dual Boiler was first released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TpSSSYpq1I

Enjoy.
                      Cheers
                      Mal

Comment

Working...
                      X