Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lelit 57.9mm Basket??

Hey Guys,

As you'll be able to tell from the below, I'm new here! Long time lurker, first time poster (now I've convinced myself to actually make a purchase).
    I'm looking at the Lelit PL41TEMD and almost clicked purchase before I double checked some details - I noticed that the basket size listed is 57.9mm and the recommended Tamp size is 57.5mm. My question is; how does this impact the purchase of different accessories in the future? For example; I've been looking at the 20g VST basket, but am concerned it's not going to work as it's 58mm - the same with purchasing a tamp that isn't exactly 57.5mm.
    Am I setting myself up to have to buy Lelit only accessories in the future?

Would love if someone could advise me on this, or potentially talk me out of getting the PL41TEMD if something better was available? I'm looking to spend around $1000 (grinder and machine), and this one has come up pre-loved but in excellent condition, so I think I can squeeze it and a grinder within the budget.

Thanks in advance!

Jesse

Jesse you will have a reduced palette of accessories available to you. The VST will not work with the Lelit. It depends if you can see yourself buying different baskets in future, 58mm is the norm. That said, I have the same machine and have been happy with it for the last 3 years and it's included accessories. I purchased the Lelit because I thought it was the best for me at that pricepoint, the 58mm choices didn't suit as well. I am about to move to a 55mm portafilter, so clearly didn't feel like I was missing out on the 58mm club.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply 338.

If you're moving to a new machine, does that mean you'll be looking to sell your Lelit/any of the accessories?

The 'pre-loved' one I'm looking at now just comes with the standard tamp, a single basket, a double basket and a double spouted portafilter, but I'd love to get my hands on a Naked Portafilter, if I end up purchasing this one, or one the same.

Cheers,

Jesse

Comment

Hi Jesse, unfortunately I dont have a naked portafilter, though wish I did. I was going to buy one then realised I was likely to upgrade as bitten by the coffee bug, so didn't. My machine will be for sale in about three weeks, hopefully by then you will have enjoyed many coffees out of yours.

Comment

No experience with Lelit, however I feel like 58mm should be standard if you're spending that kind of money on a machine. It sucks when you need to pay more for accessories in the long run.

Comment

So you think the theory deeper baskets are more forgiving is a myth?

Comment

Originally posted by 338 View Post
              So you think the theory deeper baskets are more forgiving is a myth?
              Deeper baskets?

Comment

Hi Daniel, agree with you 58mm makes things easy. The deeper baskets comment is some machines, like the Alex Leva as an example, are reputed to be more forgiving as they use a smaller diameter portafilter, which means for a given amount of coffee the puck is deeper or thicker. I don't have an Alex Leva but have read plenty about this here and on other forums.

Comment

A 57.9mm basket will have a puck less than 1% taller than a 58mm basket the same volume of coffee. Not enough to be a consideration.

Comment

I have a Lelit Victoria and it is 58mm, has made the accessory hunting quite easy. Not sure what hurdles you might encounter with different.
                    I did have a Breville Machine in the past with a funny size. Was very tricky.

Comment

Working...
                    X