Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lelit Choices

Hey Guys,
    Spend most of today readying through the forum trying to help myself narrow my search down for a new machine.
    Currently have a Nespresso pod machine which as served us well for many years but is about to die Originally started looking at Delonghi Auto machines but am feeling that isn't the way either after reading so much today.

Am tossing up between 3 options
    - Lelit Combi with PID (PL042TEMD) - front runner
    - Lelit PL41TEMD Espresso Machine + grinder
    - Lelit Victoria (PL91T) + grinder

Wanting something that is compact but not to complex to use. My wife and i both drink coffee but aren't to the connoisseur level so doesn't need to be extravagant hence liking the Lelit combi as it combines both the machine & grinder in one not overly big unit.

Is there anything blatantly obvious that i am overlooking with the combi that would make it more worthwhile leaning towards the individual unit + grinder?

Thanks!

Nate the argument for the combi is it is more compact on the bench. The argument against is you can't either buy a better level grinder or upgrade if you choose to. The Victoria is a better machine, the 41 and 42 are almost the same, bar grinder

Comment

I agree with 338’s comment that the combi does restrict future upgrades.
      One downside to the combi is the 57mm group head that can limit buying accessories that usually in the more standard 58mm.
      But I am really happy with my combi and I think the combi is great vale for money compared to buying equivalent machines separately. The process was a bit overwhelming for the first few weeks but soon got the hang of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Westy5 View Post
        I agree with 338’s comment that the combi does restrict future upgrades.
        If i wanted to upgrade to a better grinder later on couldnt you just plonk one beside it and use instead of the built in one?

What did you find overwhelming too, if you dont mind me asking?

I was liking the Victoria but grinder options i dont know whether its worth getting a Breville smart grinder w/ this machine for a starter unit as originally wanting to stay around the $1500 mark although movement isnt out of the picture and most people recommend spending as much on a grinder as possible.

Comment

• Westy5
          Westy5 commented
          Editing a comment
          You can always sit a new grinder next to it in the future if you upgrade. It’s a personal choice really.

I went from a Nespresso pod machine to the combi. The overwhelming bit for me was that everything is manual (coffee in/coffee out, grind size, shot time, steaming milk, refilling the boiler etc). It took a week or two to find my groove. But now I enjoy the manual process and gets a much better result than the pod machine.

Originally posted by Westy5 View Post
        But I am really happy with my combi and I think the combi is great vale for money compared to buying equivalent machines separately.
        How long does it usually take for your machine to heat up from when you turn it on first thing too? Can seem to find much info on that

Comment

I had the PL41temd and it will indicate your desired brewing temperature in a few minutes, less than five usually. In reality ten to fifteen is minimum for a good result, as you need to heat up the portafilter as well. The small Lelit are very good at this as the portafilter is attached directly under and to the small boiler. The theory being you don't want your 92 degree water to hit a cold portafilter, there is some mass to a portafilter so they take a few minutes to get warm.

Comment

I'd go the Victoria and then look for a second hand grinder from those options. I've just ordered a Lelit MaraX - I was considering the Combi and Victoria but for the extra $500-600 I was too tempted by the Mara X.

Comment

Originally posted by wjdevlin View Post
              I'd go the Victoria and then look for a second hand grinder from those options. I've just ordered a Lelit MaraX - I was considering the Combi and Victoria but for the extra $500-600 I was too tempted by the Mara X.
              Yea the thought is there but not sure if we are ready (or space allows) to go to that step from a simple pod machine. Am leaning towards the Combi, and as we become comfortable we might look for a 2nd hand grinder and keep them seperate if our bench space allows.

Comment

Working...
              X